Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
OMG you guys bitch more than I do, and I'm a chick (and believe me, I know how to bitch). So yeah, quit bitching at each other. I was going to just close this, but there are some legit responses, so I'll leave it...for now.

Last edited:
JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OMG you guys bitch more than I do, and I'm a chick (and believe me, I know how to bitch). So yeah, quit bitching at each other. I was going to just close this, but there are some legit responses, so I'll leave it...for now.
Yawn:)

Last edited:
duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Calling it gambling is just a way to attach a stigma to it, do you notice no one considers investment to be gambling? When its just playing an incomplete information game with a higher expected value for better investors but a risk factor of chance for all.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Calling it gambling is just a way to attach a stigma to it, do you notice no one considers investment to be gambling? When its just playing an incomplete information game with a higher expected value for better investors but a risk factor of chance for all.
this ^

A comparison: If I were to invest in the stock market it'd be GAMBLING.. cuz I know Very Little about it. If my boss were to invest in the Stock market.. it'd be far different from gambling as he's been at it for 30+ yrs. now & it's his main source of income (owning a fair bit of property etc. as a result).

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
YAWN.........

Attachments

• jq yawn.gif
    jq yawn.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 100
Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
OMG, I'm totally going to smack all of you. :motz:

;)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Ahh yes, the rights speech trumps all. What else can be said but,
Yes, yes, we get it. Youve been here a long time and have discussed folding pocket A's pre-flop a gazillion times. Well done. *clap* *clap*. You're infinitely smarter than the rest of us.

If the thread doesnt interest you, why bother to type "yawn" into the box? You've come across a thread, started reading it, see that a discussion is developing and then have made a choice to type "yawn" in, and press submit. I know its quicker than typing in " I am very clever and have already thought this topic through to its natural conclusion and know the outcome" but its essentially the same thing.

You could give us a list of what topics you think would be acceptable to discuss? Alternatively you could keep new members out so that they dont annoy you with their inane threads.
Oh and maybe - forums are not just about accessing old information - it is also about exchanging ideas and developing relationships. But again you can always restrict new members admission to prevent that happening on topics more than once.

Pocket A's...... YAWN

Attachments

• y a w n.gif
    y a w n.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 99
fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey JQ, how about a "is it gambling mega thread, all (is it gambling) roads lead here" where this can all be merged?

Then I can yawn somewhere else.....

(Yawn)

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And, I have to say, I almost feel important. One "yawn" can get me so much attention........

"ouch"

Just got smacked...................

J

jsaw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suggest you are getting the reaction because the idea of this and similar forums is to allow member to explore questions of interest to them. Yes this thread and others have been extensively discussed, but almost on a daily basis we have new members joining CC. Yes, they could read the previous discussion or they could simply post a question and obtain the latest thinking.Poker is not a static game, nor is the theory. My fear of those who make derogatory comments is that some members may be discouraged from posting because of supercilious comments that offer nothing to the debate and banal in both conception and execution.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this ^

A comparison: If I were to invest in the stock market it'd be GAMBLING.. cuz I know Very Little about it. If my boss were to invest in the Stock market.. it'd be far different from gambling as he's been at it for 30+ yrs. now & it's his main source of income (owning a fair bit of property etc. as a result).
And yet he's still dealing with incomplete information and taking a chance on a projected outcome.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I suggest you are getting the reaction because the idea of this and similar forums is to allow member to explore questions of interest to them. Yes this thread and others have been extensively discussed, but almost on a daily basis we have new members joining CC. Yes, they could read the previous discussion or they could simply post a question and obtain the latest thinking.Poker is not a static game, nor is the theory. My fear of those who make derogatory comments is that some members may be discouraged from posting because of supercilious comments that offer nothing to the debate and banal in both conception and execution.

OK, I get that.

But it was just a "yawn". Really.

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thanks for the reply's folks.
just to clear up the confusion
I was not asking is poker gambling,
I was asking can it be considered gambling if I NEVER use my own money.
so start again.
:confused:
lol

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
so start again.
lol

If it involves the wagering of money, whether yours or not, it still may be considered gambling, depending on your definition of choice of what gambling is.

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ok thanks m8
so I'm 'gambling' with other peoples money,
is that what you're saying ?
I think there should be another word besides 'gambling' for the way I go about it.
anyway
thanks for all the reply's

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so start again.
lol

Yes. If one of my friends backs me with £2000 for football season it's still gambling. I don't see why that would make any difference.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love these threads, there's usually a couple funnies throughout.

Oh and if anyone actually cares:

"Gambling is the wagering of money or something of material value (referred to as "the stakes") on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning additional money and/or material goods."

Make up your own minds.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh and did you know that Pogs is gambling. Sick world.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think it depends on the player, for some its a skill game, for others its gambling- overall though there is an element of skill, which to me makes it not gambling

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Gambling is the wagering of money or something of material value (referred to as "the stakes") on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning additional money and/or material goods."

So marriage is gambling??

For example, a stripper quits her job (wagering something of material value) to marry a rich drunken slob (an event with an uncertain outcome) simply cause he is horny and rich and will reward her putting out (primary intent of winning additional money and/or material goods)?

haha that was FUN:D

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
So marriage is gambling??

For example, a stripper quits her job (wagering something of material value) to marry a rich drunken slob (an event with an uncertain outcome) simply cause he is horny and rich and will reward her putting out (primary intent of winning additional money and/or material goods)?

haha that was FUN:D

Nice one Jay. This one gave me a good laugh. :)

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My thoughts:

The question here suggests that we can give a Yes/No answer but my view is that the answer is both yes and no. Within poker there are two distinct games going on at once, a game of skill and a game of luck.

Playing a hand so that it does not go to showdown is skill based. Pre-flop play that results in moving others off hands uncontested is skill based. Post flop bet-sizing to move others off hands is skill based. Reading others ranges and making decisions that will lead to them making a mistake is skill based. Working out a strategy depending on position, stack size, etc is skill based. Developing an effective bankroll management system and sticking to it is skill based. Post-flop play where you know you have the absolute nuts and are looking to extract maximum value is skill based
However............................

Other than is cases where you do have the absolute nuts, and you are relying on either a card coming or not coming to determine the outcome, this is luck based and therefore gambling. Flop quads with your pocket A's with a AAK flop and there is still a chance you can be beat by a royal flush. The outcome is not certain, so there is an element of risk. Therefore it is gambling. Knowing the percentages, playing according to odds, understanding which plays are -ve versus +ve, all of this is about risk mitigation. None of it though eliminates the risk, it just reduces the risk.

Some would argue that over a large enough sample size, if you keep making the correct play, things will even out over time to the point where luck is eliminated and it is purely a game of skill. They say that even if things swing badly against you, good bankroll management should protect you to the point where you can recover over time. This is not true. What is happening here is risk mitigation, not risk elimination.

Gathering statistical data over billions of hands will allow you to determine the probability of outcomes going a certain way. Statistical data analysis however will not give you absolutes, merely the extent to which an outcome is probable.

Therefore playing perfectly, making every correct decision 100% of the time, and it is highly probable that you will win.

Am sure others would sum it up better than this, but this is my way of looking at it.

I do wonder about those that are hell-bent on trying to convince people that it is all about skill.............The lady doth protest too much methinks..............

CuttleFish
It illogical what you say, cause even if you play the best and think you are making the most correct decision, the other player might be also be playing correctly and playing the best so therefore you will win only 50% of the time
The #1 rank chess player win likely win most of the time against a amatuer but against the #2 rank player it might be 50- 55% of the time . So % winning is making the correct decisions and who you are playing against.

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling