Is it bad etiquette to ask to see a hand?

BadB420

BadB420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Might as well ask to see opponent cards if he is just openly showing them to some.. maybe they will say no or something but any advantage you can grab on somebody is worth taking and I have no problem with somebody asking me to see my hand even if I havent showed nobody! It doesn't mean im going to show my hand but I dont mind them asking because I know why they are asking!

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This was applied last night at a home game I played.

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/what-exactly-definition-bluff-243470/

Show one, show all. In tournaments, fish can't leave until he's knocked out of the tournament or he wins. In cash game, fish is free to leave.

I think it's out of manner if you show to one person but don't show to others. The guy who knows the hand will have additional information that other players don't have, hence, not being a fair game. So therefore, it's nowhere near bad etiquette to ask to see the hand. If people don't like it, then they shouldn't have shown in the first place.

S

slash407

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont think its bad but i wouldnt do it often

nc_royals

nc_royals

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's funny how the "show one , show all" rule gets confused when a player reveals just one of his cards. Never fails someone at the table says show one show all.

J

Jpetro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would ask to see the hand every time. I really don't care if it upsets someone. It's a rule.

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In that instance, it is not rude to ask, because you are not allowed to show one and not show the whole table. I learned that the hard way because I was playing a live cash game and there was this guy who played almost every hand and was winning big pots while losing small ones. This is at 1.2 and I have about 150 in front of me while he had about 400 in front of him. I finally decided to make a stand playing a hand and I had garbage, and bet every street, well it worked out and the guy sitting next to me was like holy crap you must have the stone cold nuts when I made my river bet, and the guy tanked for about 2 minutes and folded. Showed the person, and then mucked but the player asked to see my cards and I had to show, everyone got to see my play, and I was not happy. It could have lead to much more money for me.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are in a hand that is in play and it ends, it is not unreasonable to ask to see about the hand. It is the players discretion to show.

Eminescu99

Eminescu99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if he shows his hand to another player , I think he should also look at all the players.it seems fair (y)

Last edited:
I

I2jr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think it's a bad education, the hand is closed and decide who to show it or not, even if it's next to it, then it's a show

D

Dan Perkins

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The common rule is you see then I see and it is up to the dealer to enforce this.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This happens a lot at my local card room. It only bothers me when they show it to me while they're in a hand with someone else. Don't show me when you're deciding, what if I give off a tell or look! I mean its your money, so take the risk, but still I don't want to ruin a hand because you're showing me your cards.

But as others said, show one player, show them all. I've asked to see, others have asked to see and the dealer usually shows. Sometimes other players will announce what they saw, which sometimes angers the showing player but oh well.

K

kidrock1211

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IF THEY SHOW ONE PLAYER THEY HAVE TO SHOW ALL

Padlington

Padlington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think its bad etiquette but it up to the player whether he responds to the request

everth

everth

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In these cases I prefer to be curious, than to ask to see the hand.

trolly67

trolly67

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is definitely not bad etiquette. if they only show one person, regardless if it's the other person in the hand or not, I'd be declaring "collusion" until the hand is show to all.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When 2 players sitting next to each other are in a hand together and one of them shows his hand to the other player, without showing it to the rest of the table...is it bad etiquette to ask to see the hand?

The correct etiquette is "show one, show all" and every dealer I've ever had has enforced it.

Odysseus101

Odysseus101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's awful for a player who knows the rules to show one other player the hole cards after the fold in the first place. So etiquette? Yes, that's bad to show because you're putting the dealer and other players in an awkward situation.

But by the rules, if anyone shows cards after folding then the cards have to be shown to all. I find that whole concept ridiculous in the first place; if you've folded then you're out so don't try to "change the game" by showing. Keep the game between the players still in. It borders on the narcissistic.

MDTed

MDTed

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It does certainly affect the table image if someone asks to see a hand where I play. It happened a few days ago, the house rule is show one, show all but the person asking to see the hand got so much grief that he left the table shortly.

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The problem is showing one player privately and not to rest of the table, if fact it is unacceptable.

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea...if u want to see the hand, pay for it... also if u decide to show one, show all..

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When 2 players sitting next to each other are in a hand together and one of them shows his hand to the other player, without showing it to the rest of the table...is it bad etiquette to ask to see the hand?
If you show 1 you are supposed to show all. I show any time someone asks. They will either see solid play or one hell of a bluff!:D:D

Fernanda37

Fernanda37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The dealer would normally show the cards to the rest of the table

D

DrakeM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a live game Ive never seen anything like that happen, but I guess if it happened it would be the dealers duty to intervene and make the cards visible to all players

R

Reelmookey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no its not because its always up to the other player if he is going to show or not

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
when you show your cards to the player you give information on your game !!! it is sometimes useful to show your hand !!!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands