Is it bad etiquette to ask to see a hand?

S

Swickster007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, you shouldn't share information with only one player. I would almost call that collusion but if you show one, definitely show the table. In a reverses situation, if someone across the table kept showing his cards to his neighbor and no one else, I think I would get a little annoyed and feel like i was getting shafted somehow.

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not that bad, ask for information is always good.
poker is somewhat a kind of information game.
the more you got, the potential more you could gain.

if by any chance, I would 100% ask...LOL

crusinnn

crusinnn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always wonder this myself especially when playing local. When more than one friends are playing they show each other cards and I always thought that it was bad etiquette, glad to know other people agree. If someone ask me to show my cards I usually show the whole table if I decided to show.

zEric7x

zEric7x

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say it is not bad etiquette but I would probably say no like 90% of the time (and probably make a smart ass comment.)

A

ariolis30

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one time this one guy reached over across the table and flipped over my cards ROFL didnt know what to do it was an odd move by him lol

zEric7x

zEric7x

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one time this one guy reached over across the table and flipped over my cards ROFL didnt know what to do it was an odd move by him lol

What the hell? I would complained or told the dealer or something. What happened afterwards?

S

sotakid80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no, not at all. you are playing poker, try and do anything and everything you can do to get more info. what is the worst they can do is say no.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no, not at all. you are playing poker, try and do anything and everything you can do to get more info. what is the worst they can do is say no.

Actually they can't say no - the rules in pretty much every poker room are that if you show your hand to one person, then everyone is entitled to see it.

The worst thing that can happen is that you could negatively affect your table image or upset the fish. Your call on whether that risk is worth the reward of seeing the hand.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually they can't say no - the rules in pretty much every poker room are that if you show your hand to one person, then everyone is entitled to see it.

The worst thing that can happen is that you could negatively affect your table image or upset the fish. Your call on whether that risk is worth the reward of seeing the hand.

that's kind of how I feel....worst that can happen is I upset fish. Since i play tourney poker...the fish can't really go anywhere.

I don't bother when it's a meaningless hand like the BB folds to a late position raise...but let's say there is a big pot that ends on the turn or river and the winner shows his cards to his neighbor...I feel entitled to see that hand.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sounds like a good way to approach it. And yeah, in a tournament there's no real risk of the fish leaving the game so that's less of a consideration.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no, if he shows his hand to another player i think he must show them to all the players aswell. i dont know the rules but thats the right thing to do.

A

ariolis30

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
rofl

What the hell? I would complained or told the dealer or something. What happened afterwards?

i stared him down thinking wtf. i think the whole table was just shocked but he turned out to be just some donk and stacked off not too long after....

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
I'm definitely in the show one show all category

G

GonnaFold

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Some players are so defensive of their cards, just show em already!

S

sleepymike

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mostly when I see one player showing his hand, prior to folding himself, it's to the player to his right who is no longer in the hand, but the hand is still in progress. Don't think a person will ever get the dealer to enforce the "show one, show all" in this case.

R

RaizerCrazy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
personally i think its no good
i never showmy winning hand
sometimes i want to see opponent's hand when im about to fold mine
but i never ask
its annoying))

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, it depends on why you want to see the cards. If someone is there just to have fun and they've established a relationship with a neighbor then just let it go. In most cases it's just annoying, not that important and seeing their hand won't reveal anything you don't already know or suspect. In addition, you stand to gain a lot of information just on the basis of which hands they choose to show their neighbor; they folded a straight on a flushed board, they pulled a big bluff, etc. But once you start asking, they'll stop showing. I will however ask just to put on the breaks if I feel it's giving someone else a real advantage, or if knowing the hand will give me one. If I fold a big hand and he show a neighbor, I want to see it.

C

cribgoch

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Would it be bad to bypass the asking and just shoot them for being idiots?

trolaAa

trolaAa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me " No" but its not sure the other player will show his cards :)

S

sleepymike

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When 2 players sitting next to each other are in a hand together and one of them shows his hand to the other player, without showing it to the rest of the table...is it bad etiquette to ask to see the hand?
Is it bad etiquette to ask to see a hand?
I was told it was, but there are exceptions to everything. This case would be one.
I think the worst of the etiquette breaches is the showing of the hand, asking to see the hand is one way to point this out.
Two wrongs make a right? Hardly ever, but again exceptions.

R

RogerZzz8979

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never show my cards, but I have the same opinion as the majority here; show one = show all

D

dasher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When 2 players sitting next to each other are in a hand together and one of them shows his hand to the other player, without showing it to the rest of the table...is it bad etiquette to ask to see the hand?
Where I play the dealer immediately enforces the "show one, show all" rule.

So nobody has to ask. You have to show the table.

M

mariocep

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
show cards is giving information, both live and online. Obligation of the dealer is showing cards to other players

redwhitealex

redwhitealex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
asks to show his hand so afraid. and if you do not want to show too afraid)))

Staneff

Staneff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u choose to do what u do. if u play in the way u said there is no reason to show hand to other players who dont play at the curent hand. this can reveal ur play style or anything that can help ur opponents use against u in the next hands. :)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands