Importance of Bankroll Management in Poker

ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree, in poker there is no point in just being good at the game if you don't know how to manage your bankroll you will never have a constant profit

S

s0ftdumps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
the ultimate bankroll is to start with freeroll lol and then maybe risk 1 percent of your bankroll. and be 100 years old before you can play hight limits.

W

Wega85

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
i agree with all the above. no matter how skilled you are in poker. managing your bankroll is equally important.

broncho

broncho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
EC
Chips
Bankroll management in poker is like the backbone of my game—it's that crucial. It's not just about how much money I have; it's about using it wisely to withstand the inevitable swings and uncertainties of the game.

Think of it as a safety net. It ensures that I can weather the storm during downswings without going bust. Setting limits on how much I'm willing to risk in a session or tournament helps maintain financial stability and prevents emotional decisions driven by losses.

It's not just about preserving money, though; it's about staying in control. Proper bankroll management allows me to focus on making sound decisions at the table without the constant worry about the financial implications of each hand.

In poker, where variance is a constant companion, having a well-managed bankroll is like having a solid foundation for a house—it keeps everything stable and allows me to play with confidence and a clear mind. So, for me, bankroll management isn't just a strategy; it's a mindset that ensures I'm in it for the long haul.

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll management is so important to the point where you can be a bad or mediocre poker player but still make money long term based on the way you manage your bankroll. Hell there are rich poker players that are highly skilled but lost it all and went broke due to their lack of discipline from bad bankroll management.

Responsible gambling always wins.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's simple. When you lose at lower stakes you play higher were you can own everyone with your 5 buy-ins bankroll.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
For me it's quite easy as a rec/hobby player with no where near what the high stakes guys put in. And quite honestly there is no reason for the avg rec/hobby player that doesn't play high stakes volume to use their bankroll management strat...

As a rec/hobby player I use the following:
1) Full ring cash tables 50 buy-ins/stake level.
2) MTT's 100 buy-ins/level.
3) For cash tables when taking shots at the next level up I use 5 buy-ins. I lose them I move back till I win 10 buy-in's at the higher level I just stepped back from. Once I have won them 10 buy-ins I move back up with 5 buy-ins.

I haven't had to deposit on my main site(pokerstars) in almost 15 years now. So it works great for me as a rec/hobby player who double tables.

Cheers!!!

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Firstly I will say, no matter how good your bankroll management is, if you are a losing player, in the long run, you will still be a losing player and no amount of BRM will fix that.

If you are a winning player and looking to go pro, move up limits or just make a modest side income, BRM is absolutely ESSENTIAL. You don't have to look very far to find very talented, penniless poker players, or well known pros that could tell you a story about going broke at least once.

I like Jonathan Little's Bankroll Bible (Google it) for what he thinks are sensible bankrolls for your level and games.

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always manage my bankroll for a while, then I end up losing it and having to deposit again, however, luckily I have been winning and withdrawing some money when I am managing it correctly, so, in the end, my graph continues to rise, more I still dream of playing without deposits, just with withdrawals, I believe it is ideal.

Baoka

Baoka

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
If you don't manage your bankroll well, you will fail at poker.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bank management is part of success in poker. Players who manage to generate their bankrolls are always in a position to participate in various tournaments. It is important to be patient when managing your bankroll, as sometimes it decreases and sometimes it increases depending on our failure or success in poker.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management