I'm on top now what?!?

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have no advice for you, as this sounds exactly like what has happened to me many, many times

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at the very beginning, the main thing is for inadequate players to give the opportunity to fight among themselves and fly out of the tournament so as not to interfere with playing quietly for those who really want to play poker, and not roulette[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

S

spadeit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the same problem. I can start some tournaments really well and for some reason i just can,t control myself and especially my patience. Sometimes i can loose all my chips in a few hands and this is really hard to take that.
Right now, i,m not sure, what to do with this.
Maybe just i need some break in the game.

Yeah that can happen if you have been playing one too many hours. Especially if you are experiencing a downswing. Take a few days break and come back with a fresh mind..

sidenotch

sidenotch

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
try picking your "spots" a little better

So I would like to hear other peoples strategies to avoid the oh so lovely and inevitable if you don't watch your step....tilt

I tend to get on top early in tournaments and I find myself getting long strings of great starts fantastic hits and the horrible suckouts on the river. 1st hour on top of the world 2nd hour every set you find is cracked by a straight or flush.

How do you play when you are on top?
Hello there...feelin' your "frustrations and pains" of the second hour blues :) If and when I do double up and get off to a GREAT start, I then try to pick and choose my "spots" a little better. Chances are if you have been dealt a pocket pair there is at LEAST another one out there...usually a person will go all in with the pocket pairs which are above Jacks, so if you have anything lower than Jacks, you should usually fold those out.

Of course we all see the classic "flops of the cards we folded", but my league captain always says, "There's no shame in folding out a decent hand" pre flop. Don't forget that ANY card game is a game of "chance" and a HUGE amount of LUCK first off...so if you're gettin' good cards dealt to ya, it's kind of a "feel" at a certain point, plus watching what's flopping at certain tables.
I find it simply amazing how often aces flop online...seems there's 8 or 10 aces in online poker decks :) I play AGAINST the Ace / Rag card player and THEY get aces 80% of the time...but if it's ME who is playing an Ace, with awesome kickers to go with it?>>I seem to lose about 60-70% of the time...because the site WON'T flop an ace for me consistently...oh well...that's why they call it "gambling" :)

G

GoSplat678

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello there...feelin' your "frustrations and pains" of the second hour blues :) If and when I do double up and get off to a GREAT start, I then try to pick and choose my "spots" a little better. Chances are if you have been dealt a pocket pair there is at LEAST another one out there...usually a person will go all in with the pocket pairs which are above Jacks, so if you have anything lower than Jacks, you should usually fold those out.

Of course we all see the classic "flops of the cards we folded", but my league captain always says, "There's no shame in folding out a decent hand" pre flop. Don't forget that ANY card game is a game of "chance" and a HUGE amount of LUCK first off...so if you're gettin' good cards dealt to ya, it's kind of a "feel" at a certain point, plus watching what's flopping at certain tables.
I find it simply amazing how often aces flop online...seems there's 8 or 10 aces in online poker decks :) I play AGAINST the Ace / Rag card player and THEY get aces 80% of the time...but if it's ME who is playing an Ace, with awesome kickers to go with it?>>I seem to lose about 60-70% of the time...because the site WON'T flop an ace for me consistently...oh well...that's why they call it "Gambling" :)

Yeah I sit for a long while and just watch the table and wait for a good spot. I try not to get into hands with more than 1 or 2 other players and I’m careful to maintain my table image so I can bluff later on when it matters more

M

mikeyg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think super aggressive at all times is the only way,no point in looking back thinking i should have!! get the pressure on early

ANATOLII1981

ANATOLII1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tight style

wherever I am, at the top or in the trouble bit, I always play the same way in my own style. I change it depending on the style of play of opponents and circumstances at a given time. This is a tight style; with a strong hand and high expectation of winning. I rarely go to the bank, losing small amounts at the expense of the blinds in poker and ante. However, wins with strong poker hands compensate for these losses and bring significant winnings.:cool::cool::cool:
A tight game is considered to be the most profitable style, with minimal chances of losing and maximizing winnings. It is the best poker strategy against aggressive and loose opponents. A tight game against tight opponents, as a rule, does not bring high results, which forces them to play more flexibly, adjusting to their opponents:cool::cool::cool:

R

r21sp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if at the beginning of the tournr I got a big stack, then I play a little looser than by default, the big stack allows me to play a wider range of hands

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are different schools of thought regarding how to play from ahead, and I can't say which is really the best, but I prefer to play extremely tight if I get a huge stack early in a tournament. If you end up getting 200+ BB deep, you have all the time in the world to wait around for monsters while the other players knock each other out. Once mid-game comes around and the blinds start to punish the short stacks harder, then I like to start looking for opportunities to apply pressure to those players, because usually they are more committed to trying to bubble and less willing to shove over top. Use the early lead to sit back and gather information about the players at your table, then when the game picks up speed, pick your targets and go after them.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are different schools of thought regarding how to play from ahead, and I can't say which is really the best, but I prefer to play extremely tight if I get a huge stack early in a tournament. If you end up getting 200+ BB deep, you have all the time in the world to wait around for monsters while the other players knock each other out. Once mid-game comes around and the blinds start to punish the short stacks harder, then I like to start looking for opportunities to apply pressure to those players, because usually they are more committed to trying to bubble and less willing to shove over top. Use the early lead to sit back and gather information about the players at your table, then when the game picks up speed, pick your targets and go after them.
the most current strategy to date[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

sidenotch

sidenotch

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when people speak of "winnings" it amazes me still

wherever I am, at the top or in the trouble bit, I always play the same way in my own style. I change it depending on the style of play of opponents and circumstances at a given time. This is a tight style; with a strong hand and high expectation of winning. I rarely go to the bank, losing small amounts at the expense of the blinds in poker and ante. However, wins with strong poker hands compensate for these losses and bring significant winnings.:cool::cool::cool:

A tight game is considered to be the most profitable style, with minimal chances of losing and maximizing winnings. It is the best poker strategy against aggressive and loose opponents. A tight game against tight opponents, as a rule, does not bring high results, which forces them to play more flexibly, adjusting to their opponents:cool::cool::cool:
When people speak of "winnings" and maximizing bankrolls and such in ONLINE poker?>>>WOW!!>>>I wish I had that much money to "GAMBLE" away. I think it's pretty crazy when people speak of big bankrolls and such in ONLINE gaming...as if! As if you'd risk giving up your banking info, or worse...risk real money on a cyber site where you have NO IDEA who, or what is on the "other end" of the transactions.

And of course I realize that if someone "started out" with FREE roll winnings and was able to(by some crazy LUCK and fortune) advance their winnings into larger amounts....well, good for you then!>>>Once again, I'll have to point out that ANY CARD game is a TOTAL RANDOM GAME OF CHANCE! So, first off, IF you're a lucky person, you might be able to win consistently online. Without seeing the dealer, the people's faces and the "live aspect" of cards, the "luck" aspect of online card games of ANY KIND is the MAIN thing that will win $ for people on a consistent basis.
Go ahead and tell me ALLLLLL about your "strategies and skills" in a RANDOM game of the dealing out of cards>>>TOO FUNNY! I almost call that delusional thinking...if a person watches ME play, they'd see that this whole "random gambling" game of cards doesn't require a WHOLE bunch of skills.

First off, get dealt GREAT cards compared to others and if you have "any" skills at all, well, THEN you can possibly win hands at a little higher level than most. The "bluff off" and shoves to basically "buy hands" is a complete joke! SO, big deal...you just happen to have enough $ to be able to TOTALLY GUESS flops?!?>>>>well then, good for YOU, cuz that's ALL you're doing. So, you think if YOU go all in PRE flop with weaker cards and win the hand that it was YOU who "outplayed" or "out skilled" the other person?!?>>>NOPE! that's where the delusional folks seem to think they are wsop material or something....just because they were a better "guesser"....classic EGO FREAKS think that way!

rafa77777

rafa77777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand that for the whole tournament, once 3-5 hands of a murderous force may come, or to collect an arm of incredible strength .. therefore, it is worthwhile to play such hands at the maximum

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I keep my game as close as possible. I always try to bluff when I'm in position. It also depends on the level of other players on the table. I do not want to flip when it's not worth it. level of the places to pay or compared to the stack of my opponents. When you reduce the number of hands you decide to play and you respect your opponents' raises, you will reduce the risk of losing your chips.

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When i am in the situation you described and have plenty of chips early, if i'm focused on the game i tend to raise a lot on try to be table captain... sometimes my attention drifts away or if my bets not getting thru ill sit back for a bit and wait for something nice. All depends on the flow of the table.

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I have a big stack, I usually stay aggressive because my stack to pot ratio is better; especially if the table is full of tight nits. So if I have the chance to isolate and eliminate nitty small chip holders with a marginal hand against their potential monsters, I'm going to for that every time if it costs me almost nothing. Luck helps. But don't get too crazy and loose and play/raise everything. Keep your wits about you and stay aggressive.

I absolutely crushed a freeroll here, won by a landslide playing this way. I also got 2nd place a few times and made it ITM and to the FT many times playing this way.

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I would like to hear other peoples strategies to avoid the oh so lovely and inevitable if you don't watch your step....tilt

I tend to get on top early in tournaments and I find myself getting long strings of great starts fantastic hits and the horrible suckouts on the river. 1st hour on top of the world 2nd hour every set you find is cracked by a straight or flush.

How do you play when you are on top?

In my experience, loose play (seeing lots of flops) in the first hour can stack up a player pretty nice when they run good. Failure to adjust as the levels progress and number of players shrinks usually means that loose play gives it all away, usually by calling pre-flop too much to see what the flop brings.

If you’re lucky enough to hit a few hands early, or have a bunch of bluffs go through, or whatever; lock it down, tighten up and play right.

I hate to say it, because it sounds mean, but the most likely explanation for BOTH why you can accumulate chips early and not hold onto them later is playing too loose.