makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Depends from the study of the particular game you are playing. If it "smels" disaster I would fold even AA!! Sometimes I notice strange and suspicious sequences which leads to a fold. It is not bad move if you save your game.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I get what your saying and understand fully but I myself believe it would apply more to cash games than tourneys. In tourneys you want to chip up big with your strong hands and you pick up gold like AK not very often soo you would want to utilize it to the max when you get it. As tourneys if you bust, your out, in cash you bust your still in till you want to quit, so being safer with AK applies more to cash than in tourneys, chipping up is soo important in tourneys. In time I think you'll figure it out and agree with me.

I agree 100% with you now. I am shoving and calling all-ins with AK like there's no tomorrow. But I am not an advanced player and I usually play against opponents more skilled than myself, and shoving preflop with any strong hand is advantageous for me because it evens the field, skill doesn't matter anymore after the player goes all in. I was talking about Jason Mercier there, for him calling all ins with AK before flop and playing bingo with his opponents has negative expectation because it reduces him to their level. I am happy if I bust early in 2 tournaments and double up in the third, but I am an amateur playing freerolls, not a top pro. Let's say, hypothetically, I was playing a big tournament and sat at the same table with Jason Mercier, I would love to go all-in against his AK with virtually any type of hand, because playing small ball gives me no chance against a vastly superior player, but with pre-flop bingo I get to bust Jason Mercier out of the tournament 34% of the time if I have 72. Feel free to disagree and tell me why I might still be wrong, as I appreciate our conversation and I do not see it as some kind of opinion contest where one opinion wins and the other loses, the beauty of exchanging opinions is that we can both be right, both can be wrong, and anything in between and still benefit and learn from each other. Cheers to you, mate!

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me it varies cause I can folsd lots of AK off and call some AK off, i've found spots where AK off is a good hand and some spot where it is just crop hand.

Batarang96

Batarang96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a tournament, I can pitch it, pre-flop, if the pot is 4-bet, or more. If I've got a small stack, and I'm on the cusp of a significant pay-jump, then I have no problem with folding it, in a 3-bet pot.

Pre-flop, there are situations where AKs can be more desirable than QQ, KK, and even AA (often when you're in early position, at a table full of calling stations). But, there are also times where hands as weak as 22 and 98s are more desirable.

It's a very powerful hand, but by no means is it "point-and-shoot". With the right amount of finesse, it can become one of your most profitable hands.

P

Philwalmsley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ermmm

I have to admit I have folded AK before and was I glad I did :top:

eurosTotnd

eurosTotnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the only spot where i fold AK suited are : open raise / 3 bet / 4 bet / 5 bet

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree 100% with you now. I am shoving and calling all-ins with AK like there's no tomorrow. But I am not an advanced player and I usually play against opponents more skilled than myself, and shoving preflop with any strong hand is advantageous for me because it evens the field, skill doesn't matter anymore after the player goes all in. I was talking about Jason Mercier there, for him calling all ins with AK before flop and playing bingo with his opponents has negative expectation because it reduces him to their level. I am happy if I bust early in 2 tournaments and double up in the third, but I am an amateur playing freerolls, not a top pro. Let's say, hypothetically, I was playing a big tournament and sat at the same table with Jason Mercier, I would love to go all-in against his AK with virtually any type of hand, because playing small ball gives me no chance against a vastly superior player, but with pre-flop bingo I get to bust Jason Mercier out of the tournament 34% of the time if I have 72. Feel free to disagree and tell me why I might still be wrong, as I appreciate our conversation and I do not see it as some kind of opinion contest where one opinion wins and the other loses, the beauty of exchanging opinions is that we can both be right, both can be wrong, and anything in between and still benefit and learn from each other. Cheers to you, mate!

All in all it is just a very good idea in tournaments to play AK fast. Raise, re-raise, call all ins. In tournaments the faster the better with AK in my opinion, AQ is a totally different story i tend to play very slow with AQ. The difference between other bigger aces is absolutely crazy. Play AK fast and other aces carefully because AK or better can always be lurking. Cheers. Good luck in your future games.:D

ACEWOLF56

ACEWOLF56

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm never folding them either. Just busted out of the $5,000 GTD Freeroll with KK vs. 35s. He raised and I re-raised, he went all in and I called. and he hit 2 pair. Thou He was a complete DONK, I'm never folding that hand

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold AKs in early stages if there are actions before me. I dont fold against 1 player but I fold when there are 2 or more. Obviously depend what I know about other players, but when I dont know anything about other players I do this.

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK a remarkable hand, especially if one suit. I drop AA more often. Here is it God more often... AA me very often failed. Maybe that's why I'm prejudiced against them now

ArmiSoo7

ArmiSoo7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
I can say , that i would never fold that hand preflop, but after flop it is easy to fold, if you don't see anything good coming. So you always have to be smart .

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mean Jason Mercier plays huge stakes against very aggressive opponents, so he probably should not be folding AK very often.

If you are playing against a table of docile kittens and one of them wants to go all-in for 150 big blinds you can easily get away from AK.

That being said, AK is a great hand on a short stack and you should almost always be going with it for a stack anywhere near 20 blinds or less.

Good luck!

lanelane

lanelane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course preflop I never fold the AK but after flop not to easy fold to me so I often go allin preflop with this cards.

Folding in Poker