"I'm never folding Ace,King" Quote Jason Mercier

T

ThunderPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well yeah, but that's the situation in most cases when you hold Ace,King you only dear Aces or Kings which is all honestly is the same early on or mid etc.

Not really. If it was the original UTG raiser 4betting, it'd be a tougher decision, especially if he's tight. It's a lot more difficult to put someone on AA or KK when they flat call PF.

O_o

O_o

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK hates me. Therefore, I fold it when I need to.

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This reminds me on one of my toughest decisions in tournament poker to date. And it still bugs me.

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a tightish player, early on in a tournament I'm more likely to try and see a flop with AK, that means calling raises, not 3-betting or 4-betting PF. If I hit then I can decide what to do, but most likely I'm going to go all in if I can, extenuating circumstances aside.

Later in a tournament I play a bit more cautiously. I'm still raising with AK from any position, but I'm less likely to call all ins and large raises depending on my stack size. If I'm medium stacked I'm especially cautious. AK is the ultimate coinflip hand, I always assume its a coinflip, its easier that way rather than trying to place my opponent on a pocket pair like 99+ or a weaker ace like AJ or AQ, many times they're playing either equally.

Its basically a decision for my tournament life, do I have enough chips to fold and pick a better spot? Will my fold equity be too depleted after folding, or will it be depleted in a few rounds of blinds and antes? How much would I have left if I did make the call? If I'm medium stacked, not alot unless my opponent is a short stack. Basically, if I have the chipstack and its too much to call, I'm folding PF. If I can call the raise without giving up too much, I will.

That's basically my medium stacked AK strategy... for short stacked its an instacall anytime, for a big stack it depends how big my stack is, and my opponent. A big stack with large blinds and antes can disappear really fast and turn into a medium or short stack if one gets too spewy.

AK is probably one of the hardest hands to play correctly. Pocket pairs are easy enough, because when overcards come on the flop you can fold. I'm naturally cautious with weaker aces like AJ or AQ, but they have many of the same problems as AK. AA, KK, and QQ are easy, shove and complain about a cold deck if someone beats you or turns over a higher pocket pair. Only thing that might be worse than AK to play is JJ, but if you're tight like me, you play it like 88 or 99 anyways, flop a set and fold to reraises if theres overcards on the board.

B

budebuzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play AK like any other good starting cards depending on position. You have to raise in early position especially to get the junk to fold but raise enough to get as many decient hands out too, you dont want a late position small pair calling a 3x bet. This all depends on how the rest of the table has been playing too because your acting first and dont really want to face the all in pre flop with too large a bet. Late position I prefer to limp if possible but call minimal pre flop bets in case the cards hit it will be hard to tell what I have. Mid position it all depends on players stacks etc but mostly play like late position. That all said and that is probably totally depending on too many things but I dont mind going all in with that hand in many cases either, I guess I switch it up a lot so I would rather see a flop cheep but not totally afraid of an all in with AK.

Z

zebadie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly.
By the way when you raise Ace,King preflop and get a caller or more which at micros is quite often then people say you should always C-bet everytime even if you miss. Whats people thoughts on this? Most of the time, someone has hit something and will call which means your wasting chips. I don't know the best way to approach that situation.

Personally i love to C-bet in most situations especially in late position and if they call, i make another decision on the turn, i have more of a read and if you have more outs to hit on the river you can usually see it for free if you C-bet on the flop (if you dont it always causes the opponent to bet on the turn), if your read is they are good and you have a bad hand, i'd decide to play it slow, see the river for free, look as strong as ya can online and try get the showdown for free or fold if they bet.
The best option is always different although i find the best in most situations is to look strong and C-bet the turn and the river and represent a strong hand to make them fold which works often.

I C-bet around 92-95% of the time.

Last edited:
Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The simple and correct answer is it Depends.

Shady Vision

Shady Vision

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early in a tourney, especially one of the FT guarantee rush tourneys with rebuys, I'm open shoving or re-raising all in with AKs. It's one of the 3 hands that I'll make that move with and IMO the risk/reward is worth it in those situations.

Mid to late though it really depends on too many circumstances to make a claim whether I will or won't fold them.

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont know about everyone else, but AK at the end of a Tourney no worries push & shove all you like, but if in put in a all-in early stages in a tourney, it would have to be with them suited, and against the repeat all-ina. Othewise fold those suckers and get on with the mission at hand.

To Finish First - First You Have To Finish.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shoved AK late in a tourney I actually don't regret it that much being there were 8 people to the money & I had maybe 10 BB, just Google searches & this CC link came up, can't tell you how many times that happens

Jezdic

Jezdic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and I also don't throw AK before the flop in 99 since cases.:mad:

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The thing is, we only win a tournament if we get all the chips.
And opportunities don't come all the time. Then you have to ponder against who is playing and the possible hand you will face. This will give more or less value regardless of whether it is a tournament start.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i face raise and serious reraise or multiple all-in before me i can easily fold AK. After all AK is hand that needs to improve to win in most cases and is flip versus lower pairs.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is not the nuts. It's a good hand and has a lot of hands beat, but is still not the nuts. If you treat it like AA and your opponent has AA, then you're screwed.

syarbouh

syarbouh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great cards to play 3BET/ALL IN you can catch a straight or beat any pair unless AA or the flop can set you a KKK

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is god in tournaments

Just a quick question, who will fold Ace, King suited or not early/mid tournament? I ask because from what I thought and what I have learnt is that Ace King unsuited especially isn't particular "great" early on or mid stage of a tournament if all your chips are at risk preflop?

People have told me to fold Ace King to all-in bets early on in a tournament yet I'm hearing from Jason Mercier himself that he will never fold Ace King at any point in a tournament, I'm not sure if he would fold unsuited Ace King.

Anyway, thoughts on this? I've always pondered this. Obviously late on or even mid I'd push especially if low on chips..

I struggle with Ace,King and Ace queen a hell of a lot and lost quite a bit if I miss the flop and someone called and got some crap two pair lol.

I agree 100% with Jason, I'm just never folding AK at almost any part of a tournament, except possibly on the bubble if I want to make the money guaranteed( no possible races), even then its just a so be it spot and let the cards fall as they may. I just don't see myself folding AK ever, it is such a strong hand and is only in a truly horrible spot against 2 hands AA KK. If your opponents has AA, its just a NH sir type of spot and if he has KK its a pray to hit your 33% chance to win. AK in a tournament is almost a never fold to me. It is way to strong a hand to be folding almost ever(possibly is a spot or two but rarely). If you happen to get unlucky with it against a mid or small pair so be it, its just the way you are running at that point in time. Don't lose faith with the hand though, it's truly a winner.:cool::cool:

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion (and I am not even a Jason Mercier look alike) it depends on one's skill level in comparison with the average opponent. The more skilled the player in comparison to the average opponent, the less he should get involved in all in situations in early stages of the tournament. Going all in pre flop does not require much skill so it works in the less skilled player's advantage. For example, once I get approved (hopefully) in the freeroll club, I will play aggressively pre flop and not fold AK simply because virtually everyone there is more experienced than myself, so I have negative expectation in my post flop play, at least for a while, hopefully not forever. I have no idea why Jason Mercier would make such a bold statement since going all in with AK early in a tournament is not a great move for a professional with great post flop play. Let's say Jason Mercier is in the early stages of a tournament with AK and there are 3 all ins in front of him, if he goes all in as well, he essentially reduces himself to my level, and I'm not even proud to be at my level :)

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion (and I am not even a Jason Mercier look alike) it depends on one's skill level in comparison with the average opponent. The more skilled the player in comparison to the average opponent, the less he should get involved in all in situations in early stages of the tournament. Going all in pre flop does not require much skill so it works in the less skilled player's advantage. For example, once I get approved (hopefully) in the freeroll club, I will play aggressively pre flop and not fold AK simply because virtually everyone there is more experienced than myself, so I have negative expectation in my post flop play, at least for a while, hopefully not forever. I have no idea why Jason Mercier would make such a bold statement since going all in with AK early in a tournament is not a great move for a professional with great post flop play. Let's say Jason Mercier is in the early stages of a tournament with AK and there are 3 all ins in front of him, if he goes all in as well, he essentially reduces himself to my level, and I'm not even proud to be at my level :)

I don't believe he said he goes all in pre flop with AK but just that he doesn't fold it ever, if people happen to go all in and he has to act behind them he calls there bet. He's not just shoving all in with AK like a fish every time he picks it up, if a all in happens to come up hes just not folding it. Its wrong to fold AK in most situations, the hand is to strong. If you want a chance to ever win a tournament I suggest playing this hand fast and aggressive, its the strongest drawing hand in the game.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry, I wrote my post in a confusing way, I never intended to claim Jason Mercier said he shoves AK pre flop, just that, exactly as you said, he doesn't fold it. (I was actually taking the thread's starter word for it as I don't follow Jason Mercier myself.) But then you say that shoving AK pre flop is a fishy move, while calling a shove with AK pre flop is not, and I think it's at least as fishy, even worse. AK is only 67% favorite over 72 pre flop, so shoving AK pre flop is more of a semi bluff than a value bet, but when you are calling a shove there is no semi bluff anymore, and you are likely to face a strong hand, not 72. In my opinion, you need a stronger hand to call a shove than to shove yourself, not vice versa.

Reh1980

Reh1980

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aks fold early in a tournament, I just would fold if it was a tournament of 22,55,109, or 215 US dollars out of this is in the right lime further suites is very difficult to drop in buy-in tournaments is lower call ahsuhaua:cool:

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't believe he said he goes all in pre flop with AK but just that he doesn't fold it ever, if people happen to go all in and he has to act behind them he calls there bet. He's not just shoving all in with AK like a fish every time he picks it up, if a all in happens to come up hes just not folding it. Its wrong to fold AK in most situations, the hand is to strong. If you want a chance to ever win a tournament I suggest playing this hand fast and aggressive, its the strongest drawing hand in the game.
Sorry, I wrote my post in a confusing way, I never intended to claim Jason Mercier said he shoves AK pre flop, just that, exactly as you said, he doesn't fold it. (I was actually taking the thread's starter word for it as I don't follow Jason Mercier myself.) But then you say that shoving AK pre flop is a fishy move, while calling a shove with AK pre flop is not, and I think it's at least as fishy, even worse. AK is only 67% favorite over 72 pre flop, so shoving AK pre flop is more of a semi bluff than a value bet, but when you are calling a shove there is no semi bluff anymore, and you are likely to face a strong hand, not 72. In my opinion, you need a stronger hand to call a shove than to shove yourself, not vice versa.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I folded Ako on a FT a couple of years ago thinking of ICM pressure I had 4th most chips and they were 3 short stacks. It wasn't a huge tourney but a couple of ladders were important at that time I had an open and two all ins ahead ahead of me and would of had to call off 2/3 of my stack. One guy had 99s the other JJ and a king hit the flop and would of won but that's being results orientated

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I folded Ako on a FT a couple of years ago thinking of ICM pressure I had 4th most chips and they were 3 short stacks. It wasn't a huge tourney but a couple of ladders were important at that time I had an open and two all ins ahead ahead of me and would of had to call off 2/3 of my stack. One guy had 99s the other JJ and a king hit the flop and would of won but that's being results orientated

I love AK and I'm infamous for overplaying it.

But this has happened to me in several live events where I knew the players had big hands....they had fire in their eyes. AK on the bubble...AK first hand of final table....AK when the only stack that has me covered open shoves UTG....etc. etc. boo hoo for me and you! lol

My nightmare scenario is my AK up against AK and a pair....ugh!

Good luck !

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I get what your saying and understand fully but I myself believe it would apply more to cash games than tourneys. In tourneys you want to chip up big with your strong hands and you pick up gold like AK not very often soo you would want to utilize it to the max when you get it. As tourneys if you bust, your out, in cash you bust your still in till you want to quit, so being safer with AK applies more to cash than in tourneys, chipping up is soo important in tourneys. In time I think you'll figure it out and agree with me.

Folding in Poker