i'm cursed

petey5o

petey5o

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys im 21 trying to make it in poker and im pretty good. I've won my share of nice tournies on other sites. And now im in a slump on full tilt....when i started on there i turned 13 bucks into 900 in 3 days...now i cant do anything.

Tonight im in the fifty fifty. i make a minimum raise with 97 suited...trying to change things up a bit, one guy calls who is on the button. The flop comes 9 5 5 .. one diamond. i bet half the pot. i get raised about 3 times...i call...im thinkin he has ace 9 maybe... turn is a 10 of diamonds..i check he bets 1200 . i call. the guy has been raising a lot and playing careless. the river 6 of diamonds.....so i have 5 6 7 910 of diamonds for my flush...he puts me all in...he has 5 10 offsuit for a boat..he calls a 600 chips pre flop with 5 10 offsuit. and catches a full house. So, hes up to 12k chips...and im out. i watch him for a while and he calls 2 all ins after he gets down to 5700 chips ...that puts him all in with 5 7 SUITED.....vs. qq and kk....flop j 4 3...turn 10 ...and you guessed it river 6..so he gets up to 18,000 and goes out about 4 hands later CALLIN an all in with a gutshot. Guys im too damn good to keep losing like this...i mean the most ridiculous beats ever over and over. im only 21 and im trying to make a career in this i just need a break. a break that seems like its at the end of a road that never ends, waht do i do?

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
agree

I guess ill write more, ummm, do not raise with garbage hands. Ive found myself, as cool as it is when those cards get you something amazing and its like "Wow awesome I win"...alot of the times its not.

Either A ) somone has the better kicker/higher str8/flush or B) you just miss and you gotta stone cold bluff or fold

just like... fold garbage.

S

snrcreech

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one major thing is that you have to know who you are playing against. You said he was wreckless. putting him on A-5 is more wreckless than A-9. Personally I think you should have been out after the flop. People like that you need to be confident that you have the nuts before you challenge them. And even if you did put him on A-9 why are you calling for runner runner diamond??? You put him on a hand that had you beat, but you called anyway. Patience luke let the force guide your actions

rob5775

rob5775

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The flop comes 9 5 5 .. one diamond. i bet half the pot. i get raised about 3 times...i call...im thinkin he has ace 9 maybe... turn is a 10 of diamonds..i check he bets 1200 . i call.

I like raising with odd hands if my read is good on the BB, so I won't say anything about that. But why in the hell are you calling a raise when you think you are behind? Basically, if he has any 9 your are running into kicker problems; any 5 has you dominated and you are behind to any over pair. I know this isn't in the HA section, but what he had in the end really doesn't matter. Your play, as you posted it, is not good (I tried to put it nicely because I'm inebriated).

Before you quit, try reading some of the articles here, peruse the golden archive section, and post some hands in the HA forum. Also get your hands on some decent poker theory/application books (consult any book thread by Alien Genius). This should get you on your way to being a consistent winner.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my advice to your ambitions of going pro:
1) Get a job doing something else other than poker, get a steady income, then start seriously pursuing your dreams of making the big time.
2) If you cannot handle the bad beats, then it isnt time to go pro yet.
3) Full tilt is obviously rigged.

^^^^^ :) :) :)

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys im 21 trying to make it in poker and im pretty good.

Your play in this hand says exactly the opposite.

when i started on there i turned 13 bucks into 900 in 3 days

An immediate indication to me that you probably overrate your own play based on this early positive variance. Also, that you probably didn't follow proper bankroll management.

i make a minimum raise with 97 suited

As pointed out, pretty terrible. I don't have a problem raising w this hand every once and a while in earlier position per se, but don't min raise. And if you are going to do so, you have to be "good" enough to get away from it when you need to. Clearly you are not good enough to do so. Recommendation: don't raise out of position with suited connectors until you understand the game better.

The flop comes 9 5 5 .. one diamond. i bet half the pot. i get raised about 3 times...i call...im thinkin he has ace 9 maybe...

So you called thinking he had A9? I don't get it-- does 97s beat A9? What you don't understand here is the concept of "reverse implied odds": hands that can only win you a small pot or lose you a big one.

Guys im too damn good to keep losing like this...i mean the most ridiculous beats ever over and over. im only 21 and im trying to make a career in this i just need a break. a break that seems like its at the end of a road that never ends, waht do i do?

waht do you do?

1. You need to reappraise your self assessment of your current abilities.
2. Take responsibility for your results. You played that hand very poorly, and you deserve to get busted there.
3. Study the game as well as playing the game. Start by reading the "don't min raise" article linked above. Here are my recommendations for starting books, if you haven't ever read one.

Sorry if that was a harsh reply, but if you really want to improve (and not just complain about "beats", which this really wasn't), then you can probably become a successful player.

Poker is full of people who think "im too damn good to keep losing like this"-- that's one of the great things about the game: the losers can aways blame "bad luck" instead of taking responsibility. Here is your chance to leave that group.

N

nshortlidge

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I got that beat im playing at bodog tonight I go all in preflop with kk the only other person in the hand is the big blind and he calls for his tournament life with 77 and I loose to a flopped set then on the very next hand I get delt aa with only a 300 chips left and the blinds only at 10/20 I go all in and get called with j4 suited only to get rivered by a str8.Now I dont know what the odds of the my hitting them hands consecutively and me loosing both but they have to be astronomic,but ive coom to realize on bodog this is just a common occurence.If any can figure out the odds to that I would love to see it.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tonight im in the fifty fifty. i make a minimum raise with 97 suited...trying to change things up a bit

Nothing wrong with this. Mix it up so you dont get predictable, but you have to be ready to let hands like these go if you need to. I would raise more than just the minimum since there is a large range of hands your opponents can call with.

one guy calls who is on the button. The flop comes 9 5 5 .. one diamond. i bet half the pot. i get raised about 3 times...i call...im thinkin he has ace 9 maybe...

So, you hit top pair with a weak kicker on a paired board. Not bad, but not a great situation. I dont mind C-betting here because its very unlikely your opponent hit this board. Half the pot is a nice bet, but as soon as your opponent raises you should know your hand is pretty much beat. Either he has a better 9, a 5, or a pair over your hand. I dont get the call if you think he has A9 unless you were representing the 5 and planned on taking it down on a later street. So, even though I would rather fold here and wait for a better spot, I think a call here is ok depending on your stack size and your opponent's stack size and if you were sure you could outplay and take it down later.

BTW, what were the stack sizes?

turn is a 10 of diamonds..i check he bets 1200 . i call. the guy has been raising a lot and playing careless.

I dont like the call here. Its pretty obvious you are beat. Either you're folding your hand or you're raising to represent the 5. The call here is very weak, IMO. Your opponent can be betting with a better 9, a 5, or flush/straight draw.

*You say your opponent is weak and careless, but his play says otherwise. He's betting a made hand into you, probably putting you on top pair or a some sort of draw. He might have even known you'd make pretty thin calls with a 9 or a draw. Pretty smart play on his part.*

the river 6 of diamonds.....so i have 5 6 7 910 of diamonds for my flush...he puts me all in...he has 5 10 offsuit for a boat..he calls a 600 chips pre flop with 5 10 offsuit and catches a full house.

So, you call an all in with a weak flush. The board is paired and a bigger flush can beat you. I dont like this call at all on the river, but since I dont know how big your stack is-you might've been committed at this point.

I think you got to attached with this hand and you shouldve have let it go either on the flop or at the least on the turn.

His PF call with 5/10 is pretty bad, but so was your PFR. Was he a blind when he called?

Guys im too damn good to keep losing like this...i mean the most ridiculous beats ever over and over. im only 21 and im trying to make a career in this i just need a break. a break that seems like its at the end of a road that never ends, waht do i do?

Dont try to make a career out of this. If you happen to improve and are able to, then thats great. You obviously have some leaks in your game that you need to fix. You're young and you have plenty of time to improve and work on your game. You made a lot of mistakes with this hand, you got beat, and thats a part of learning and improving. Even well known pros make mistakes at times.

Above.

arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry but from reading that, I see a bunch of terrible play. Most of us consider you the people that we make money off of, and then we write in the bad beats section how you sucked out on us ^^

But it's ok, most people start some where. I say keep playing, stay on this forum, read some guides OR just play .01 / .02 poker and get a program that tells you when to fold / call / etc. and you will see a pattern get instilled into your brain (that's sorta how it works for me, made me a MUCH tighter player which is better)

Wild Rivers

Wild Rivers

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got that beat im playing at bodog tonight I go all in preflop with kk the only other person in the hand is the big blind and he calls for his tournament life with 77 and I loose to a flopped set then on the very next hand I get delt aa with only a 300 chips left and the blinds only at 10/20 I go all in and get called with j4 suited only to get rivered by a str8.Now I dont know what the odds of the my hitting them hands consecutively and me loosing both but they have to be astronomic,but ive coom to realize on bodog this is just a common occurence.If any can figure out the odds to that I would love to see it.

So, you bet YOUR tournament life with an allin (yeah ok it's Kings,) but it's also WAY early in the tournament since you say the next hand blinds are at 10/20??:confused:
If you had ten grand on the line in the wsop would you throw your fate to the wind so soon? I think (hope) not.
As for this being a "common" occurance on bodog, well...just ask some brick and mortar dealers how often they see this or similar...you may find the odds aren't as "astronomical" as you think!:)

Last edited:
petey5o

petey5o

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i was calling his re raise cuz i "thought i was behind" ...my ace 9 read was horrible i was giving this guy way to much credit for hands he would play but i thought there was a great chance he would have a hand worse than that..5 10 offsuit worse than ace 9

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i was calling his re raise cuz i "thought i was behind" ...my ace 9 read was horrible i was giving this guy way to much credit for hands he would play but i thought there was a great chance he would have a hand worse than that..5 10 offsuit worse than ace 9

so why did you call again? im not sure why you would call a re raise if you thought you were behind like that

J

jonfelkin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So you turned 13 into 900 and just admited your strategy in play is to call re-raises when you think your behind? Im sorry but i have to agree with people here that your play on that hand was just bad. I make bad plays to but at least i have the common sence to fold when im thinking im behind.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Besides x9 A down to 8, any x5 beats you. Pay attention to a 3x raise when you have a garbage hand.

Semicolonkid

Semicolonkid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys im 21 trying to make it in poker and im pretty good. I've won my share of nice tournies on other sites. And now im in a slump on full tilt....when i started on there i turned 13 bucks into 900 in 3 days...now i cant do anything.

lol what you need to do is calm down, laugh, look at everything from a different perspective, read some recommended poker books(I like Doyle Brusnon's "Poker Wisdom of a Champion"), and then play a good, solid game.

Good Luck.:)

C

CrawdadM16

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes there are nothing you can do. evey table is going to have guys like that. my suggestion, ifthey are following you around and sucking out everything, stop betting. Let them suck it out for cheap. Let them see a free turn and river. Sometimes losing with less is still winning.