The Illusive 'A' Game

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've got an 'A' game, I know it, many of you know it, and most all of you also have an 'A' game, I have seen it and been punished by your 'A' games, as you have been punished by mine.

At least a few, if not most of you seem able to bring your 'A' game more often than I can. At this is at the heart of my conundrum.

-I do know that even tho I consider myself to be patient, my patience often falters and that is NOT MY 'A' Game.

-I know that the cards, or rather MY REACTION TO MY CARDS, plays big in both my patience and my playing the poker game. I know perfectly well that the cards are of lessor importance than many other factors, yet, I falter.

-Certainly easy to control are external distractions, and my own boredom (or is it easy to control?). But the immediate panic of housemates refuses solution (I usually go to an emergency sit-out). I don't have kids around so that hasn't been any problem, pity those who do......;)

So help me out here, and in the process help us all out here describing what you consider the things are that prevent you from bringing your 'A' game.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
  1. playing tired (usually my z-game)
  2. seeing a maniac getting away with it and trying to rush things against him.
  3. girlfriend panic (I need something...NOW)
  4. headake
  5. being hungry
  6. toilet
  7. lack of nicotine

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All of the above^^

and not setting goals.
and not having a water bottle close by...

The Gent

The Gent

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As above too...

No 1. Kids screaming
No 2. Take out the trash (she is impatient for that at times)
No 3. Boredom/Day Dreaming
No 4. Thinking the other guy can't have it again...lol

What I do...

No 1. Earplugs
No 2. Ask when and do it on next break (to avoid further nagging)
No 3. Play another table (keeps me busy)
No 4. Stick it all in and get busted (still working on that one)

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a wife and kids, so they can both be a deterrent, depending on what time I play. I agree with Grafkarow on all points but 7.
My biggest factor is my mood. If I am not really ready to kill, I play softer and basically just worse. Its a hard thing to pinpoint, some days I know I am gonna rule the felts, and I DO play better. My A game is very mood dependent.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great idea for a thread dj!

My biggest problem bringing my A game is concentration. It's rare I am able to play without constant distractions that break my concentration. There is nothing I can do about it, believe me I've tried. So now I've accepted that if I want to play online poker that this is just the way it's going to be. Which led me to think about what I need to do in order to best work under those circumstances. I'm practicing slowing down, not making my decisions so quickly and overall just paying attention to the tables more while outside distractions are occurring.

The biggest change I am doing is in my attitude. Instead of being upset or annoyed with the constant distractions and interruptions I have accepted that this is the way it is. I've also accepted that I will be sitting out of mtt's from time to time due to the interruptions and am no longer getting upset when I have to do that. If I have to leave an mtt I am no longer angry about it. So I think overall it's been adjusting my attitude that I hope will bring back my A game on a more regular basis.

Top 10 Games