An idea for a poker variant

N

Nysze

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, I'm new here so I don't know where the right place for this would be, but this looks like the best spot. I play alot of poker and I was thinking today and came across a good idea (atleast, it seems like a good idea inside my head, I might realize how completly stupid it is later =P). And I just wanted to see what people thought of this poker variant game.

Ok It works alot like hold'em but you get three cards instead of two, but here's the catch, you have to pass one of your hole cards pre-flop and your opponent has to pass one to you, before they see the card you pass to them. And then with the community cards I'm thinking that the flop is two cards and then you have a one card turn and river, or there could be a three card flop and just a turn.

I've played a few one on one games with it and it seemed fun, although the community card set-up does seem odd. but the whole you know the card you gave them, and you know what they passed adds something fun to the game. Not just the fact that you know what card you passed them, so that you know part of what they get after the community cards, but also the fact that you get a read on them by seeing what they pass, if they pass ace, then they probobly have a pair, and if they pass a mid card like 7 or 8 then they might have a few high cards, or some kind of pair. but you can also pass a high card to bluff that you have a pair, and probobly some other things.

Also this seems like it woulden't work to well with more than three players, or it becomes more like hold'em the more players you get. So, what do you think? I might actualy have something fun here, or just another hopeless card game?

edit...
I also forgot to say about the community card thing, I'm thinking it should be four cards because all poker games seem to use a 7 or 5 card base, 7-stud, Hold'em, etc. I didn't try playing it with a normal flop/turn/river. But is there a reason why seven cards seem to be the standard, I was thinking that that makes the most "statisticly fair" if that makes any sence

Last edited:
ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sounds like a nice variant, but i'll stick to normal poker thanks ;)
i personally prefer the normal types of poker. Games with jokers and weird rules like pineapple don't interest me
good luck with the game though, i'm sure lots of people would enjoy playing it :)

N

Nysze

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not really trying to get people to play it =P, but it would be nice if someone likes it nice enough to play it. I'm just trying to see if I can get peoples opionions on the skill involved, how people like it, and how I could make it work with more players so I can get my friends to play it.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Sounds like a lot fun for a drunken dealer's choice homegame! :) We used to play all kinds of wacky games like this with our neighbors, and always had a blast. :p Your game sounds like a lot of fun.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really like it. It sounds like a cool idea. Personally I could see it working well and possibly even better as an Omaha game.

I think it could play pretty well with 4 players, 3 or 4 would be optimal I think.

Coryan

Coryan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Could be a great HU game!

I think this is a really cool idea for headsup play. Knowing what you passed and trying to understand the other player's pass could be very interesting. I think I may try this with my son and see how it goes (he's six, but his poker game is coming along great). Just joking...his game actually sucks right now. Okay, okay, his is 16 and a decent player!