I want poker, to be my secondary income.

labatho

labatho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
HU
Chips
What is your advice for that? If you are before me, and you remember how did you made that step, to make for example, 1-200 $ extra/ month, please share your thoughts.

GNuTTz

GNuTTz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that most poker players want this game to become a consistent revenue stream. That is the dream!

N

njrbj4321

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
It's hard here a lot depends on luck even if you play very well.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
What is your advice for that? If you are before me, and you remember how did you made that step, to make for example, 1-200 $ extra/ month, please share your thoughts.
It seems from your question labatho, if sincere, that you don't have tons of experience with online poker, but please correct me if I'm wrong. :giggle:

Without experience you need to learn strategy, practice and study.

It is an endless road of development (they say poker is never mastered) and it will be, to some degree, difficult - the extent of the difficulty largely depends on you.

My advice would be you study as much strategy material as you can find (relevant to the variants and formats you wish to play), focus on learning and being extremely disciplined with bankroll management (BRM), discover other crucial elements of poker theory, combine it all into your game at the tables and strive towards your ambition with as much dedication as you have.

Feel free to let us know a bit more about the poker you have played up until now and the kind/volume of poker you'd like to play in order to reach your goal and we can probably give you better tailored tips...

Kind Regards and good luck! (y)

It's hard here a lot depends on luck probability even if you play very well.
F.Y.P. 😜

hamon08

hamon08

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Initially, when I started playing poker, it was more like entertainment, I didn't know how to play well and I rarely won. However, over time, when I started to study a little bit of game theory and strategy, I started to win in freerolls, then in tournaments and cash games. And now poker is also an additional income for me, but I consistently win about 200-300 dollars a month, sometimes more, sometimes less, and it's very nice, this amount of dollars will not be superfluous. And maybe in the future, poker will become my main income, but I still need to work hard and learn to make it happen.

W

Weeestler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
It'll be great, but i understand how many time I need to spent for improving my skill and expirience)

Quaresma

Quaresma

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I dedicate myself full time to poker. In my case, the income comes directly from the game. An extra income from poker takes time and dedication. I believe it is possible if you play a reasonable amount of games in your spare time, I think 10 to 15 games at a micro buy in.

kanogott

kanogott

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think it better to have an real fix income, in which you could generated the money which pays your bills and your lifestyle. So you can play free of pressure and if you win its an extra income. I think its possible to build some nice bankroll if you have the passion to play solid and constantly improve the game. There are lots of tools to improve the game. I also enjoy watching pokerstreamer which life from playing and streaming. So you could learn alot and also entertaining me.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Stick with one format - whether that be SnG's, MTT's, or cash games. It should be easy to earn $200/mth. if you enjoy the game and are willing to put in the effort.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Start with the lowest stakes and only move up after you are consistently beating that stake level. The higher stakes you play the more study time you will need - and therein lies the hardest part of trying to be consistently profitable at poker.

The other thing is variance. You can do everything right (most people don't) and still have a losing month so you need to be able to handle the bad streaks. So decide how much you can afford to invest each month with NO profit. Then when you do profit you will need to decide how much you can keep and how much needs to go back into poker.

Most players don't have that discipline.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Stick with one format - whether that be SnG's, MTT's, or cash games. It should be easy to earn $200/mth. if you enjoy the game and are willing to put in the effort.
I also think it is good to focus on one format actually or have at least one main format.
But I also think it is worth combining for example SNGs and adding some MTTs/freerolls. Also since they are similar
with their increasing blind structure. With putting the main focus on SNGs for buy-in games you will have less variance than in MTTs.
Playing only MTTs at the beginning could be much harder and maybe demotivating.
Definitely, good bankroll management is crucial no matter what you will play.

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
From one desire, additional income will definitely not work. To begin with, I advise you to chat on the forum, get a platinum level and then play freerolls from the СС, it's safe for your bankroll.
Earning up to $200 a month is quite realistic.

labatho

labatho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
HU
Chips
It seems from your question labatho, if sincere, that you don't have tons of experience with online poker, but please correct me if I'm wrong. :giggle:

Without experience you need to learn strategy, practice and study.

It is an endless road of development (they say poker is never mastered) and it will be, to some degree, difficult - the extent of the difficulty largely depends on you.

My advice would be you study as much strategy material as you can find (relevant to the variants and formats you wish to play), focus on learning and being extremely disciplined with bankroll management (BRM), discover other crucial elements of poker theory, combine it all into your game at the tables and strive towards your ambition with as much dedication as you have.

Feel free to let us know a bit more about the poker you have played up until now and the kind/volume of poker you'd like to play in order to reach your goal and we can probably give you better tailored tips...

Kind Regards and good luck! (y)

F.Y.P. 😜
First of all, thank you for all the replies. There are surprisingly good thoughts. To answer for your question @Tracid. I do play poker(online) more often since covid started. Since that I spend monthly more than 50-60 hours to play in micro levels and also spent monthly 10$ for playing. At the beginning, I was a full time looser. I lost my money at the first week of the month. Since that, thanks to the time I invested into the poker I can play with that amount of money, all month long, but still loosing. In the past few month, I did not payed any money into, rather I jumped into freerolls. More player, longer tournaments, free entry. I played daily 6-8 hours theese on pokerstars. Right now, I have money again on my account, to play on micro levels (0,25-1$) If you check my account on sharkscope, you will see, what did I done in the past years more detailed.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There
As in any business the secret (not so secret) is to have a good starting cash (good=huge)
So you can face bad days a make increasing money

Thats it

Rgds

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
First of all, thank you for all the replies. There are surprisingly good thoughts. To answer for your question @Tracid. I do play poker(online) more often since covid started. Since that I spend monthly more than 50-60 hours to play in micro levels and also spent monthly 10$ for playing. At the beginning, I was a full time looser. I lost my money at the first week of the month. Since that, thanks to the time I invested into the poker I can play with that amount of money, all month long, but still loosing. In the past few month, I did not payed any money into, rather I jumped into freerolls. More player, longer tournaments, free entry. I played daily 6-8 hours theese on pokerstars. Right now, I have money again on my account, to play on micro levels (0,25-1$) If you check my account on sharkscope, you will see, what did I done in the past years more detailed.
Well, finding CardsChat is a blessing for you - treasure it! :giggle: ❤️

Have a look at this free poker course (CardsChat Training Course) and qualify for the CC games here in your own time, you will have plenty of chances to practice, earn free bankroll and discover what it will take to reach your goal.

There is a lot to learn to become a consistently winning player at any level but if you are dedicated, and it seems you are, then I'm sure you can achieve it. (y)

A

arshuns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think it's quite possible to get a little extra income. But in order to earn a large income, you need a lot of time and work.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know if you're a beginner player or not, but if you are, my advice is to study the game. Try to study as much as you can even if you only have 10-20 minutes to study. Also, have a good poker mentality, be patience and discipline. I saw your reply that you said you play micro stakes on PS. I would suggest you play in all trustable poker rooms that you can play (that is available to your country). This way you can win more in freerolls and build a bigger and comfortable bankroll to play other games.

pasha poltava

pasha poltava

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
you need to work hard on your game and then you will succeed, play freerolls for free, practice

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
It shouldn't be too hard to make 1$ extra per month if you play the CC freerolls. :ROFLMAO:

Just kidding, I think poker wouldn't be a game for me as a (serious) side income. I'd shit my pants if I was on a loosing streak, despite playing correctly.

But yes, buying something nice after a decent win, why not?

Just don't rely on anything being granted in poker.

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips

no offense, I think that $1-200 or 2000 more is not a benchmark or a motivation for a job or to try your luck at poker is very relevant.choose to have a decent life crowned with your aspirations, let poker be a relaxation, an exit from the routine, a passion without obligations. PS I am now an entrepreneur and I am trying to increase my number of employees to be capable of bigger contracts, I don't put my hope in gambling after all, no matter how good you are, you need luck 😉

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hard work, perseverance, patience, counting on luck, knowing how to stop at the right time, constant study, observing and taking notes, good luck

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Start with the lowest stakes and only move up after you are consistently beating that stake level. The higher stakes you play the more study time you will need - and therein lies the hardest part of trying to be consistently profitable at poker.

The other thing is variance. You can do everything right (most people don't) and still have a losing month so you need to be able to handle the bad streaks. So decide how much you can afford to invest each month with NO profit. Then when you do profit you will need to decide how much you can keep and how much needs to go back into poker.

Most players don't have that discipline.
Because you amaze me how true you can be in the advice you give, you are always on topic. I appreciate you and I am happy to have someone here who is devoted ❤️❤️❤️

labatho

labatho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
HU
Chips
To be honest, everyone told me something which helps a littlebit. Thank you for to opened my eyes, how important the BRM is, and this will be my next step. Thank you thank you! @Akiravio, wish you luck with your own business!!

P

pltelles

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It is fully achievable. I play daily for 3 years, essentially freerolls in 7 poker rooms. For the first few months, I made $3-4 a day, which averaged out to $100/month. By the end of the first year I was making an average of $6-7 a day, which was the target $200/month. In 2023 alone, I've already won almost $3000, most of it in ACR freerolls. It's tiring, but it's worth it. Good luck