Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I want to be a professional poker player. I'm not sure if it's for me. Any advice? Is it possible for a mere mortal like me to be a pro or is it just for people born with special talent for poker? How should I start?
In order to achieve your goal, you need an action plan. And while you're planning, play freerolls and build your bankroll. Joining our freerolls club is one of the steps you need to take.

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of study, discipline and practice you can become.

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Great answer!
When I first started I preferred books. Then I started joining Poker Training sites (videos) and that became my preference.
15 years later, I'm still a micro donk (but am a winning micro donk) and am back to liking books, lol. I've purchased 6 book in the past year.

Another great way to learn is to find a group of like-minded individuals - - players who are driven and are striving to get better! Finding a mentor is another great thing.... and when one is ready for it, a poker coach can be fantastic!

What format do you prefer? (cash game?, MTT?, ?)

A great answer to another great answer then.

I've heard that books can be outdated, so a good tip would be to do a lot of research on the book before purchasing it, right? I went to law school, I had to get access to books every day, what I remember most is the teachers warning, material always up to date guys, be careful with that, because the law changes daily, right? It's no different from poker, it's constantly evolving and those who will stand out are those who evolve with it, so let's study kids, it will never be too much.

The idea of common people, coaches, seems very attractive to me too, given the conditions, I strongly recommend it, unfortunately I don't have these resources yet, but as soon as they are available, that's what I will do.

I could play both, but lately MTT is attracting me, but I've been playing only him. Is that you?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

I've heard that books can be outdated, so a good tip would be to do a lot of research on the book before purchasing it, right? I went to law school, I had to get access to books every day, what I remember most is the teachers warning, material always up to date guys, be careful with that, because the law changes daily, right? It's no different from poker, it's constantly evolving and those who will stand out are those who evolve with it, so let's study kids, it will never be too much.

The idea of common people, coaches, seems very attractive to me too, given the conditions, I strongly recommend it, unfortunately I don't have these resources yet, but as soon as they are available, that's what I will do.

I could play both, but lately MTT is attracting me, but I've been playing only him. Is that you?
There are some EXCELLENT books that are current.
Here's some of the ones I've picked up this past year.... (not sure if they are available in Spanish/Portuguese). The author of a few of my favorite new books is here on the Cardschat forum (Dara O'Kearney).
'PKO poker strategy'
'GTO Poker Simplified'
'Poker Satellite Strategy'

Another fantastic author with some books that are current is Andrew Brokos.
'Play Optimal Poker - Practical Game Theory For Every Poker Player'
'Play Optimal Poker 2 - Range Construction'

Another popular (more advanced) author is Michael Acevedo
'Modern Poker Theory - Building an Unbeatable Strategy Based on GTO Principles'
'Modern Poker Theory - The Tournament Workbook' (< release date May 2023)
ScreenHunter 11503

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Can you speak English? (often people are responding using a 'translator tool'). From reading your responses it appears that you do speak English.
If so, I could help you out with some advice if you're interested (ie. most of the books above will be too advanced for someone who hasn't been playing for too long, I'd suggest they're mostly geared towards Intermediate +.... but I have many other thoughts/suggestions (I was (still am) a poker book addict... I've probably read over 100 books, lol... but am still a 'micro donk'... but am a winning micro donk ;) lol )

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Can you speak English? (often people are responding using a 'translator tool'). From reading your responses it appears that you do speak English.
If so, I could help you out with some advice if you're interested (ie. most of the books above will be too advanced for someone who hasn't been playing for too long, I'd suggest they're mostly geared towards Intermediate +.... but I have many other thoughts/suggestions (I was (still am) a poker book addict... I've probably read over 100 books, lol... but am still a 'micro donk'... but am a winning micro donk ;) lol )

Unfortunately not yet, I couldn't say that my English is even intermediate, but I am a deep connoisseur of the Portuguese language, so I believe it will be easy for you to understand because I write correctly and consequently the translator translates well too.

A

arshuns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think every player can become a pro. Everyone knows what to do to do this. But we must understand one very important condition. This is the time. You will need to devote a lot of time to studying poker and playing poker. Not everyone is willing to donate a significant amount of time in their lives to playing poker. A lot of people play just for fun.

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think every player can become a pro. Everyone knows what to do to do this. But we must understand one very important condition. This is the time. You will need to devote a lot of time to studying poker and playing poker. Not everyone is willing to donate a significant amount of time in their lives to playing poker. A lot of people play just for fun.

All you need is a bank roll and for poker to be your sole source of income.....it is literally your living.

Then you are a Pro.... in every sense of the word.