over the years of hard work on the game, some people become professionals

ERIC C DA S PAIXAO

ERIC C DA S PAIXAO

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
eI want too, but I don't have time to join a team, i can only watch youtube and twitch videos

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think any player can become a professional player in any field if you study and learn new things, try to get better and increase your level of play

pasha poltava

pasha poltava

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
find a good coach, work on your game and you will succeed, I wish you good results, good luck!!!

I

Igorok023

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
I want to be a pro) but river don’t think 😂

J

James2023

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
A lot of sentiment on the thread similar to this.

Which begs the question, what those aspiring to becoming one, think a professional Poker is - In my books anyone who makes a living off of poker.

In other peoples books you got to win one live high stakes tourney to be considered a pro on Cardplayer Magazine. But other then that the dudes in Las Vegas who make a living off of high stakes cash games are pros in my books maybe even beyond that... Some of them even billionaires.

Professional poker playing is a lot like professional skateboarding. The people who get the most attention are over glorified and treated like gods... but there are people out there above their skill level.... You know the Jackie Robertson types and The Billionaires coming from China playing 1 million dollar to 3 million a night in cash games. You wont see them in ever in tournaments but I guarantee they've drained many pros stacks at the tables.

Last edited by a moderator:
kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
They play poker for a living....so when someone says they want to be a Pro player, but the money isn't important?

It's not the life of a Pro they're after, if that's their starting point.

tony2521

tony2521

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Well, first of all, it is true that poker is not for everyone since it is a game of skill and a lot of patience, but it is also very true that to become a professional in any field requires a lot of study and sacrifice, then put into practice everything learned and a lot of dedication. That being said, you have to analyze yourself and then decide if you think you can achieve it. Nothing is impossible in this life, you just have to want it and sacrifice to get it

houcineben10

houcineben10

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I guess you have to play and study poker until your poker level is above average player so you have more chance of winning it's lke i want o become a tennis pro player like nadal, you need to be good at what you are doing :D

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
study a lot, a lot of patience, control emotions 100% and be constant, as for tournaments I always recommend that you try to qualify and never pay the entrance, play satellites respecting your bank and I assure you that you will have profits despite the variance

S

Superhansi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good Luck! I’m not going down that road, but if i ever get lucky… who knows 👍

Academico

Academico

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Well, study a lot my friend, watch hours of videos, practice a lot, first learn to manage a bank and do not stray from certain guidelines, set goals and go for them. successes!

Berandir

Berandir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
First, it would be important to verify that you identify with and enjoy the Game! After that it takes dedication and study because contrary to what many say, poker is a sport of the mind, and needs a lot of study. The share of luck for results is small. So get moving and go fight!

J

JohnBlack

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It s not easy, but with practice comes wisdom. If you have an objective set and the patience necessarily, you re on the right track. However, like anything in life, there is nothing guaranteed, it all depends on your skills.

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
You must have a lot of dedication and desire to learn. You must also know how to deal with bad times because poker does not always make a profit

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want to be a professional poker player. I'm not sure if it's for me. Any advice? Is it possible for a mere mortal like me to be a pro or is it just for people born with special talent for poker? How should I start?
I'd start by figuring out what your motivation is to pursue professional poker.
  • What aspect(s) of the game make you want to play it for a living?
  • Have you won consistently enough at your current stakes to make you think you'll be able to make a living off the game?
  • Do you have a back up plan for if poker doesn't work out as a profession?
  • Are you financially secure enough to live without an income until your bankroll is built up to the point you can withdraw without dropping stakes?
  • Will poker present a better return based on your current results than working a regular job and playing part time?

I'd figure these out before heading to far down a professional path

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want to be a professional poker player. I'm not sure if it's for me. Any advice? Is it possible for a mere mortal like me to be a pro or is it just for people born with special talent for poker? How should I start?
Studying is important, however playing is more important!

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I too would like to be a professional and make a living from poker, but it's difficult.

T

TheDealer

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really want to become a professional poker player, I have worked so hard in my life, I love this game like crazy and it would change my life

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
First you need to understand for yourself, how much you love the game, and whether you can spend most of your time learning.

staytrue001

staytrue001

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You have to constantly train, learn, watch other players and analyze your mistakes, but sometimes luck decides

F

freerobert

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
This is a very cool videoseries and shows how a Pro Player are thinking. Much Input to learn. Steal with your Eyes ;)

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't want to be a pro... because I know it's as difficult as being a professionnal soccer player. A lot of candidates but only a few players managing to make poker a profitable job. So good luck !

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's the dream of all of us who are in the forum, we all want to be professionals and make a living from poker. That is my goal this year to earn enough money so that I can start my career as a professional player.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you have access to both, try both, and then you'll know which one is best for you. I don't recommend one or the other, as each person has a learning mode, so I recommend testing both.
Great answer!
When I first started I preferred books. Then I started joining Poker Training sites (videos) and that became my preference.
15 years later, I'm still a micro donk (but am a winning micro donk) and am back to liking books, lol. I've purchased 6 book in the past year.

Another great way to learn is to find a group of like-minded individuals - - players who are driven and are striving to get better! Finding a mentor is another great thing.... and when one is ready for it, a poker coach can be fantastic!

What format do you prefer? (cash game?, MTT?, ?)