"I Tell you now, I dont have any Tells"

Welly

Welly

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A thread of common tells. I'll kick start it with a few :-

You stare a man down and he glances up at you and smiles (this involuntary gesture is invariably an indiction of a bluff) (Unless they're a hardened pro).

They relax back in their chair and spread their arms - commonly a sign of a bluff.

The "overtalk" - an increase in the amount of talking, particularly sentences like "i'll give it a go" or "why not" - often an indication they are sat on something big (and i dont mean their fat bum!).

Glancing at chips immediately after the flop - often an indication they have hit something.

Spotting the rookies (their tells):-

The necessity to quote their earnings from poker.
The necessity to state that they make a living from "this".
Relentlessly moaning about bad beats.
Over-defensive when trash-talked to.
The necessity to say 'WOW' or 'Unbelieveable' or 'What are the odds?' etc when they see an uncommon hand or scenario.

Any More ? :withstupi

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Forgot at glance at the flop to check to see if they have a shot at the flush draw but the check cause the they have k.9 and the king is suited for the flush.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
eye movements, hand movements, the way they bet/put their chips in...tons of em...
I think the biggest thing and the most helpful (generally with beginner/intermediate players and not advanced) is that strong means weak and weak means strong.

G

GreatDane

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT!

The tendency to look longer at good hole cards than bad ones

:turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:

I

IProbablyHaveUrMoney

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is my favorite...
"I guess I'll go all in..."

Guy's response to a bet 3/4 of his stack after he just flopped quads.

whyareunvs

whyareunvs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look at their hole cards when a possible flush hits the board. Typically means they have only one of that suit and can't remember if it was the ace or the rag

M

marauders4

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think IPROB.... has the funniest one that happens all the time.

Whenever someone seems to stare into the distance and pretends he wasnt paying attention only to raise or go all in.

Jonathon

Lo-Dog

Lo-Dog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look at their cards and then look at their stack, just to make sure the stack is still there and ready to be put it in the middle.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's a bunch of video clips from Mike Caro's Book of poker tells video; just about lists every one.
I have this full vid on my pc - great stuff

[Link no longer works]

Last edited by a moderator:
Welly

Welly

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good Link Chuck,

some of the acting is funny though :)

JeeDub84

JeeDub84

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will have to disagree with welly on leaning back with your arms crossed. That usually means a good hand because the player is feeling comfortable and usually have a good holding. The opposite goes for leaning towards the table. Usually that means a mediocre to weak hand. The player wants you to think they have real interest in the pot to hopefully slow down your betting. Now physical tells shouldnt be too important to most players. If you follow a persons betting patterns then that is a better tell than any physical one.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welly said:
Good Link Chuck,

some of the acting is funny though :)

lol i know

Caro kills me :)

"My goodness people we're at the pOKer TeLLs MOTHerLoAD!" as he scruffs up his classic hairdo

Welly

Welly

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JeeDub84 said:
I will have to disagree with welly on leaning back with your arms crossed.

The one I described is arms spread not crossed (ie overly relaxed).

I agree that you should not stake your whole tourney on many of them, as a lot are not very reliable. However there are some which are reliable, certainly at the standard of the average player at The Gutshot anyway.

Just dont get them the wrong way around ;)

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My favourite online tell: Say the flops Kc9c2h and the other guy is betting the minimum amount. Turn is an 8d. Again, he quickly bets the minimum. River is another club. You notice he pauses, then bets a lot more than minimum. 9 times out of 10 the pause was because he's been flush drawing and has suddenly hit the card he needs to make his flush. He had to calculate what amount to bet, so it takes him slightly longer to post his bet. Fold at that point, unless you can beat the flush.

Poker Tells