Did I do the right thing?

A

Agro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was just knocked out of a tourney in the 3rd blind round calling an all in preflop raise with K9o. Now before you scream, of course you did the wrong thing!!!, allow me to explain the circumstances.

See the raiser had just raised the last 4 rounds or so in a row. He was called on the 4th and showed 89. He won this round and the knocked out contestant typed in "you got somewhere to go?", to which the guy replied "actually I do, sorry guys." The next hand saw me in the big blind, holding k9, with this guy all in again and everyone else folded. My stack was a little over the initial stack and his was twice mine.

I knew I was most likely 63-64% to win, since he was going all in with every hand. In terms off odds it was a definate call. But I guess I am trying to decide if risking my tourney life was worth it at this stage on a 50-65% chance at a double up. I have come to the conclusion that when original stacks are 1500, 8000 chips is not that much difference to 4000 chips in the early stages (due to my tight early game strategy where I try to double through people with premium hands and fold everything else), so I probably would not have called if my stack was 4000 and his was larger. But I do like to at least double up in the first few blind levels as it allows me to play tighter for longer, which is the way I like to play. So I guess I think I did do the right thing, but would be interested to know what you guys reckon.

All comments welcome

Cheers

S

Sportsmenc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You loose, so you was wrong, obviously! No explanation needed.

suit2please

suit2please

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In these situations it might seem tempting to call with a mediocre hand, but I have found calling just because 1 guy is constantly going all in is not the best way to stay in a tournament. You don't have any read on him other than he's going all in every hand, and all you have is K9o definitely better to wait and beat him with a premium hand.

Needing to double up in the first few levels to me doesn't seem like the best strategy, but when you are at least only trying with premium hands you are way better off than trying to double up off this guy with K9o. Just my opinion.

Oh, and what may I ask did he end up having?

*Seen plenty of ppl say they are leaving when actually once they get lucky and their stack gets bigger they will stay and play.

tpb221

tpb221

Chasing Gutshots
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wrong. If he is going all-in with the top 50% of hands you are still in a coin flip-not 64 to 36. This is a coin flip pure and simple. If you are not in blind trouble this is not a profitable play.

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 50.003% 47.99% 02.01% 5936111244 249063702.00 { K9o }
Hand 1: 49.997% 47.98% 02.01% 5935445448 249063702.00 { 33+, A2s+, K2s+, Q2s+, J4s+, T6s+, 96s+, 86s+, 76s, 65s, A2o+, K5o+, Q7o+, J7o+, T7o+, 98o }

If you tighten his range by half you are way behind;

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 40.435% 38.03% 02.41% 2351999892 148842972.00 { K9o }
Hand 1: 59.565% 57.16% 02.41% 3535156212 148842972.00 { 55+, A2s+, K6s+, Q8s+, J8s+, T8s+, A7o+, K9o+, QTo+, JTo }

How do you figure you are 63-64 to win?

Easy fold. This early in the game you do not need to get in a coin flip situation.

ukaliks

ukaliks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold K9 to his crazy all-in play. U never know if he has to go or not, Cud b his gameplan n u never know if he's jus picked up AK and decided to shove again to get called by weaker hands that a dominated by AK.
Yes it's a good spot to dbl thru but it's ur MTT life n it's not worth it, Find a weaker player n pick ur spots better.

T

ted80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
let him have his fun, don't be a victim. its worth it to me with a top hand, k9 isn't the cream of the crop though. its not worth losing your temper to someone who's more than likely gonna be knocked out while you're still sitting there after a while. yeah there are times where, yeah, you're on the bb, yeah this is a better than avg hand, yeah you'd like to check and see the flop, and yeah, this is the 3rd bb in a row you've had where he's min-raised or gone all in or whatever he keeps doing...just be patient

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would call if this was like a $1 tournament and I was just playing for the hell of it. But if this was a tournament buy-in size that was 1% or more of your bankroll, I would fold.

M

markusbayer04

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You do not have to risk your chips when the blindlevel is as low as it has been.
K9 is no hand for an all in or even a call since you got into a headsup ;)

undone

undone

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont think i would have called because even if someone is crazy... i think i would have called with like AJ but not K9... even if he has an Ace you are more than likely done... So... i think you made the wrong play here even if he is playing crazy

MrMuckets

MrMuckets

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never call a maniac with a mediocre hand.:):):)Feed the World

Infamous1020

Infamous1020

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
calling an all in with K9 for stacks is bad

dresturn2

dresturn2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i find that its always easier to play against someone playing the game rather than someone who is not....u got caught up in temptation and u busted out....u didnt need to risk it all u were just trying to come up quick and thats what happens....in tournaments to trick is not to be all in without a dominating hand

Lazmansa

Lazmansa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yip, even if u did win the hand,i do belive it was still wrong.(get those emotions out of the game).

Lazmansa:D

J

JulieK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You didn't give us enough information. How many other people behind you still could have called with a better hand than yours?

If he was UTG, and everybody else folded to my BB, I might have called. But, if there was any chance somebody behind me might also call, no way am I all-in with K9.

Sharesol

Sharesol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
would definitely fold and hope he is still around doing it when i catch a premium hand.

J

jaggibson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Didn't read all the replies but noticed most were saying bad call which i have to agree with at first. What you failed to mention was the buy in of tourney. Since he was leaving musta been a free roll or mico stakes. Which tells me it was a crap shoot either way. I have been in this same situation as many have i just wait for a stronger hand if i am going to risk my tourney life.

T

ted80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
would definitely fold and hope he is still around doing it when i catch a premium hand.
haha! "still around". jealousy fills my veins when a couple other ppl with premium hands go ahead and dispatch the guy while i'm still waiting for mine

J

josh_dei8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no need to put your tourney life at risk with this hand preflop. Yes, you are up a against a maniac that is looking for as many chips as possible early cause he has no game to make a deep run in a tourney playing regular poker. He is playing ATC. When you run up against this type of player, you need to wait for a premium hand, set a trap if possible and take his chips