Was I better when I was worse?

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bad players dont know when to fold and get lucky. good players dont want to get unlucky so they fold to much.
did u hear this from inside a fortune cookie?:p

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Love the thread title! And now, because no one has been hating me lately;;)

One of the reasons 'good' players multi-table (and I'm not sure any of them will admit it) is because they don't want to over think the game. So easy to do if you know it all. Because most poker hands essentially play themselves. Most here is at least in the 90% of hands range. Yeah yeah, tactics and counter tactics come into play, but not all that often. Goes to the level 1,2,3 etc thinking thing. Think level 3 thinking against a level 1 thinker is doomed.

While purposeful attention is good, it just is too easy to over think a situation.

During my very hot streak late last year, I found myself concentrating on a side window of backgammon, for 2 reasons, 1; online poker at a single table can get really boring, and 2; rather than confuse myself with multiple poker hands, the backgammon was so easy to separate in my mind.

I too think my win rates were better before I learned more about the game. I realize I got lucky often, and really sort of miss that feeling of getting lucky.

Fact based poker is good, but luck based poker is more fun. And one of the things I seldom see good (knowledgeable) players talk about is putting themselves in a situation to get lucky. Closest thing said about that is getting it in bad. Peculiar thing is that I think many of those good players think that when they flop quads and win the hand they played it good. :stupid:

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Love the thread title! And now, because no one has been hating me lately;;)

One of the reasons 'good' players multi-table (and I'm not sure any of them will admit it) is because they don't want to over think the game. So easy to do if you know it all. Because most poker hands essentially play themselves. Most here is at least in the 90% of hands range. Yeah yeah, tactics and counter tactics come into play, but not all that often. Goes to the level 1,2,3 etc thinking thing. Think level 3 thinking against a level 1 thinker is doomed.

While purposeful attention is good, it just is too easy to over think a situation.

During my very hot streak late last year, I found myself concentrating on a side window of backgammon, for 2 reasons, 1; online poker at a single table can get really boring, and 2; rather than confuse myself with multiple poker hands, the backgammon was so easy to separate in my mind.

I too think my win rates were better before I learned more about the game. I realize I got lucky often, and really sort of miss that feeling of getting lucky.

Fact based poker is good, but luck based poker is more fun. And one of the things I seldom see good (knowledgeable) players talk about is putting themselves in a situation to get lucky. Closest thing said about that is getting it in bad. Peculiar thing is that I think many of those good players think that when they flop quads and win the hand they played it good. :stupid:

Dj,ur posts are always really well thought out and i enjoy reading them. I agree here . There are alot of people here (and everywhere), that sometimes speak as though luck is not a variable in the equation. Ans it really is. Of course people try to make the best move etcetcetc but luck is something that is always needed and if it wasnt for LUCK then poker would not be as FUN.

cause the truth is,we are "all" doing exactly the same thing more or less.
Luck is the one who decides at the end of the day,who gets paid and who doesnt.(im tallking about tournies)(was this thread about cash?) lol