HSP New Season Thoughts

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its such a sick spot for eastgate. His decision on the flop is hella hard, never mind his decision on the turn

Do you think Dwan would have fired the river? That A6 v 76 hand in episode one had a lot do with this too. Eastgate is just so weak tight in this.

MDTed

MDTed

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Barry Greenstein did an analysis of the hand on Pokerroad. In retrospect he says he should have gone all in after Eastgate folded. Also he said that Eastgate's problem is that he bought in for way too much, that in a game with players of approximately equal skill, you should buy in for what the rest do, in this case $200k or so.

For my money it's the single best hand in the history of HSP, I can't recall any hand from any other season that's been played as well.

I loved Gabe's comment that Dwan "lives in a little cabin in Durrland" when he tried to explain some of his bets/checks.

Also, did you notice that Daniel couldn't help himself and blurted out how cute Dwan was? lol

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Barry Greenstein did an analysis of the hand on Pokerroad. In retrospect he says he should have gone all in after Eastgate folded. Also he said that Eastgate's problem is that he bought in for way too much, that in a game with players of approximately equal skill, you should buy in for what the rest do, in this case $200k or so.

For my money it's the single best hand in the history of HSP, I can't recall any hand from any other season that's been played as well.

I loved Gabe's comment that Dwan "lives in a little cabin in Durrland" when he tried to explain some of his bets/checks.

Also, did you notice that Daniel couldn't help himself and blurted out how cute Dwan was? lol

Greenstein should have folded on the flop really. He must have known he was behind when Eastgate called Dwan's raise. Well Dwan and Ziigmund bth bought in for much more then 200k AFAIK. The little cabin comment was awesome :D

C

custo80

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Almost for me aswell. For my highlight reel, I'm putting that in the top 10. I literally jumped out of my chair when Tom made it 104K on the turn (kid's got guts and heart).

Favourite is still (and I don't think I'll ever see better) the famous Gus vs Daniel hand. Still sends a shiver down my spine just thinking about that hand.

I used to hate mondays, now I acn get through an 8 hour day knowing I'm going home to HSP, YAY.:D :D :D :D :D

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That A6 v 76 hand in episode one had a lot do with this too. Eastgate is just so weak tight in this.

Why do so many people think eastgate played that hand badly? If anyone can suggest a better way for him to play it to maximize his profit against durrrs range, i'd like to hear it

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So what's the consensus here...that Dwan

1. Played the hand brilliantly
2. Played the flop poorly, managed to get himself out of it

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't really understand what Barry was thinking calling on the flop after Eastgate just smooth called Dwan's raise, he can't really think his aces are ever good there. It was such a sick play though he pretty much knew exactly what both of the other players had.

Also, Doyle is a grumpy old man and I wish they would stop having him on these shows. I respect how much he has done with poker over the years but I think he is kind of losing it :\

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So what's the consensus here...that Dwan

1. Played the hand brilliantly
2. Played the flop poorly, managed to get himself out of it

no chance its number 2. His thought process was probably, its very unlikely barry has tens full or a 2, and its unlikely anyone else on the table does, so i can raise her and rep it on later streets

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do so many people think eastgate played that hand badly? If anyone can suggest a better way for him to play it to maximize his profit against durrrs range, i'd like to hear it

That's a pretty fair point actually looking back at it. Dwan's range easily includes pocket 3s and 5s and hands to make a staright. The thing is though, Eastgate knows that Dwan could be making that play with so much more, and he looks so worried/confused through that hand. I just don't think the hand this episode happens without the one in the last episode.

Lol retard making analysis ITT

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not only that, but durrs range includes draws that wont call a raise on the turn, but may very well fire the turn if he misses

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and i agree that eastgate played the A6 vs. 76 trips over trips fine. there are so many boats and straights in tom's range really. maybe a value-raise is slightly good just because it's durrrr and durrrr doesn't like folding, but it'd be really thin. if eastgate raises that river, durrrr only beats a bluff, a very ambitious bluff, period. eastgate is never in a million years value-raising an overpair there and that's obvious to both of them. so if he thinks him being coolered is more likely than getting hero called, just flatting on the end seems totally fine

P

postflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
barry played that hand pretty badly. if he was convinced eastgate had him, he shoulda folded, not called. if he felt his aces were good, raise it man. calling was probably the worst option for both himself and eastgate, confirming dwan's reads on the both of em.

i would really like to see dwan and farha go at it. would be immensely sick to see 6 figure pots with A hi.

on a side note, i think only antonius and ivey has the balls to catch a big bluff from dwan. no offense to fans of the old guard, but they seem intimidated by dwan, despite all the teasing and sh!t.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, i don't like barry's call on the flop. what is he putting eastgate on after it goes: UTG raiser bets (into 8 players), raise (with 7 players still to act!), and then eastgate calls the raise from the blind? it was clear to dwan that eastgate had a 2 -- and amazingly that he could make him fold it -- so why wasn't it clear to barry? eastgate easily 3bets JJ+ preflop with soooo much dead money in the pot, and he's not calling the raise on the flop with AT when it's a 100% certainty that one of them has at least an overpair

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gabe Kaplan was also beating on Dwan a bit. He said something like: "Dwan has made millions online...he's been spending his money on clothes."

Rofl.

I'm not sure what the clothes comment was because he's sitting there with a t-shirt and most likely jeans on. It was still funny though.

He seems ok looking too, maybe a few weird body gestures/reactions, but other than that I cant tell if he smells.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the best season ever. I normally hate HSP because they put a few good pros and a few random idiots on but at this table there are practically no really bad players. Eli is probably the worst imo but even he knows what he's doing. Also Eastgate may be under-rolled, but I've liked how he's played so far. Sure he has a quiet demeanor at the table, but he really doesn't look like he's playing scared money, with the possible exception of the trips hand. But even then do you really expect anyone, even if it is Dwan, to bluff like that in an 8-way raised pot? It's just a multi-level game and Dwan successfully was one level higher. Maybe he's under-rolled, but he's been playing pretty well from what I've seen. The one thing I haven't liked is the open limps but when the effective stacks are deep enough limp-calling hands like JTs isn't that bad.

edit: and although I wasn't sure wtf Dwan was doing in the hand as soon as he said "I'll bet that Peter had the best hand" I just was amazed. Pretty sure Dwan is either God or just a super-user.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
durrs call in the latest episode of the million $ cash game > his bluff in this tbh