HSP New Season Thoughts

brianvoytek

brianvoytek

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It started up tonight and what I noticed was Durrr being the action kid he is known for which makes for good tv. I also noticed the pros giving him a lot a shit too. So that begs the questions, do they respect him?

Besides that, its looking like a good season of HSP.

Thoughts?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think absolutely they respect him - or at least, they respect his play. They wouldn't be trying to needle him and get him off his game if they didn't.

Thought that high pressure moment segment was painful, but aside from that I can't wait for the rest of the season - looks very promising.

goborage

goborage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dwan's defence regarding his play was very good imo. His dollars to time ratio is at least even.

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love high stakes poker,it is my favorite tv show.Tom definately had control of the table and the most amount of gamble.It will be interesting to see if the others loosen up their games in the next few sessions.It seems ripe for some major pots and some very big bluffs coming.They seemed to me to like each other as a group and any ribing was done in fun.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Peter Eastgate is out of his depth and it shows. He even admitted on his blog that he knows his game isn't good enough to paly against the very best, hence why he only played nosebleed stakes for about a month. Made a pretty sick tiny valuebet/fold with a,k though

2tall

2tall

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There was too many commercials.
Next time I'll just watch it at pokertube.com

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Watching Tom Dwan is painful and hurts my eyes :D

Is he human? - just a thought as he acts so weird at times and that voice :eek:

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watching Tom Dwan is painful and hurts my eyes :D

Is he human? - just a thought as he acts so weird at times and that voice :eek:

It's not enough that people rip his play online, now he looks and sounds weird too? (Ok, he does). Let's just say he's also smelly so we can hit the superfecta. :D

goborage

goborage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gabe Kaplan was also beating on Dwan a bit. He said something like: "Dwan has made millions online...he's been spending his money on clothes."

Rofl.

hotwings18

hotwings18

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
i expected some bigger pots with the increased blinds, antes, and starting stacks. besides the set of sixes between durrrr and eastgate none of the other pots got big

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think some of the older players are a bit jealous of the success durrrr has had and it's showing in their comments about his 'slow' play. If you don't want the action player in the game, then don't invite him.

hotwings18

hotwings18

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I think with Durrr, Daniel, Eli and David Benyamine there is going to be a lot of money exchanging hands this season. And with Durrrr down over 4 million this year online I think that he needs to win this challenge outright by a lot against all of his opponents to recover. I do not believe that he could possibly be up that much live although he seemed pretty comfortable during the taping of HSP.

L

londonfog66

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Durrr acts slower than Doyle probably acts when playing online. They have to edit every time it's his turn to act, he slows the game down to a snails pace EVERY hand.

M

m00

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just wondering how Doyle thinks about aaall those things he also wrote BOOKS about, in like.. 5 seconds..

They think they are the best in the world, because everybody tells them. They dont think about how they came to that point ?

I got huge doubts that doyle acted like a poker-bot and acted everytime in 1 second when it was his turn. Especially in such a loooong grandpa career.. ^^

I think they just want to say something. They are in tv, there is this new young kid that probably made millions more relatively to his hands played than doyle. So Doyle (and others) try to make him feel uncomfortable with the way he's playing and tell him he's too slow..

w/e, great action, great new season!! looking forward for the next episode!! :)

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did anyone see this last night? Dwan pulled one of the sickest bluffs I've ever seen

S

spacemiu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did anyone see this last night? Dwan pulled one of the sickest bluffs I've ever seen

I think Eastgate's fold was ok. He's a good player and at least thinking on level 3... Unfortunately for him tho, Dwan is thinking on a higher level :D

Melkor

Melkor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, that play was unbelieveable, the fact he knew exactly where Eastgate and Barry were in the hand is class and the stones to pull it off. Gabe compared him to Stu Ungar!

The whole episode was amazing, such big pots. Eastgate's hand against Ziigmund was well played as well. Very interesting episode.

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Eastgate's fold was ok. He's a good player and at least thinking on level 3... Unfortunately for him tho, Dwan is thinking on a higher level :D

Yeah I'm certainly not criticising the fold here. It was the way that Dwan knew exactly where he was in the hand. After he pretty much announced what Eastgate had and I'm pretty sure he had Greenstein on a tight range.

MDTed

MDTed

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That last hand you could tell who was playing with scared money and who had enough money that it didn't matter. Last season Greenstein said that really only a few people like Doyle, Negreanu, Laliberte and a couple others had the bankroll to play for that kind of money now that the boom is off poker.

Eastgate only got $3 mill or so after taxes on his wsop win.

Dwan probably has them outbankrolled by an order of 10.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tom dwan is a sick, sick human

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tom dwan is a sick, sick human

I don't think calling him human is entirely accurate to be honest. I know he'd seen it previosuly, but I still think Gabe was confused by the flop bet when he made his commentary lol :)

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i was confused by the flop raise too. i'm like "wtf are you doing man, let the hand go". then on the turn i'm like "ohhhhh, you crazy sonofagun"

it really was one of the sickest plays i've ever seen. there's such a thin line between brilliant and retarded. it's sort of similar to the play a lot of good pot limit omaha players make against other good opponents, where they have the lone A of the suit on a 3-flush board, meaning they know their opponent can't have the nut flush so they make a huge bluff to represent it and can often fold out the 2nd nuts. tom was using his ten for the sole purpose of the fact that it made it incredibly unlikely either of them had 10s full, and he's showing so much strength that it's insanely hard to continue without either 10s full, quads, or A2 exactly. but almost nobody would ever do something like that in hold em. it's insane

actually it's probably ingenius no matter what. even if it doesn't work, a) it's going to elevate his image to a new level of craziness, and he's going to be able to get so much action. and b) making plays like that are awesome for earning more tv appearances, sponsorship deals, etc. etc. all of which are massively +EV

so i'm going with "brilliant"

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Where can i watch this in the UK??

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can watch it on pokertube. i recommend doing so, one of the best episodes ever

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its such a sick spot for eastgate. His decision on the flop is hella hard, never mind his decision on the turn