How would you handle a " cheater" in a home game ?

Zehntar

Zehntar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd probably try and mention it in a joking way to make everyone aware of the error, but keep it as lighthearted as possible. Something like:

"Woah, I think you got a little too much change for that $25 chip. Someone cut off this guy's alcohol, he can't count when he's buzzed!"

It would probably be best to say this while he still has the change in his hand and before he puts into his own stack, because that would be hard to prove. So watch him grab 5 $5 chips, then when he grabs the 6th one, say it. You want to make sure everyone at the table sees that the player had indeed grabbed one too many, but you don't want to come off as you're blatantly accusing him of cheating.

Then if it continues, I might even make a joke about how frequently the guy is getting change during the night. Again, in a jokingly way.

"Hey, that's the 5 time you've gotten change for a $25 chip tonight. We should just give you stacks of $5 chips and make it easier for you!"

Again, you're not blatantly accusing him of anything, but maybe this might get the other players to notice that a) this player does get change a lot and b) he was already caught getting an extra chip, so maybe they'll pay more attention.

Finally, if you don't want to say anything outright at the table, maybe talk to the host about making it a rule that when you get change, you have to have someone at the table agree that the correct change is made before you stack the chips.

I like the the whole idea about joking it off, like calling him out for drinking a bit too much and that he can't count for sure, hehe.. probably the best way to go about it, except for maybe quitting.

R

Rumme1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well never said rake the game, and obviously hire a good dealer - if they even exist where ever you are from. A good dealer for a night should be tipped about $100-$200 bucks depending on how long it runs ($100 for 5-6 hours is fine). And this will greatly speed up your game too, you will see many more hands per hour with a proper dealer - more action for the players. Plus all rules will be followed to the letter, and no cheating or collusion would ever occur. To me its worth the $100 a night divided amongst the table (10 players, 10 bux each) - would you pay 10 bux to never have that cheat steal 15 a night? Of course you would. But thats me, I am a strict rules guy, I have to be being a floor. NEVER hire a bad dealer if its just because she is a hot chic, the fad will diminish rather quickly.

If you are in USA give me a state and I will let you know if I have contacts for any dealers nearby, I know good dealers all across the country. Only place outside USA I know dealers is Ireland.

Yes...a good dealer in the course of a 8 hour session, should get about $200 in tips....this local game though, runs 3 days per week..and will often go 12-16 hours each session. So if the they had dealer, that could easily be $800 or more per week, that was taken out of the poker players pockets and out of the game. Thats over 40 grand per year , just to have a dealer.

The whole idea of this game, was to end the house rake, and end the dealer tips so the players in the game would keep the money . This game was a offshoot of another game that had run for 5 years, they had a dealer, and they had a 5% rake . My estimates are between the rake and dealer tips in that other game that ran for 5 years and 3-4 days per week] , at least $300,000 was taken out of the game and put in the pockets of the houseman and the woman dealer...both of which did not play in the game. Now all that money stays in the game. You may not see the huge benefit in that, but us players do. Once again, the only problem I had with the situation in this offshoot game, was the sociopath stealing a few $5 chips per night. Now that I have had the courage to speak up about it, it may no longer be a problem since 4 other players in that game, have agreed with me that he cheats , and tha twe will keep a very close eye on him from here on out.

On another note, even if the sociopath had not been confronted by myself , him stealing a few $5 chips per night , is still way less then the money that would be taken out of the game by having a dealer taking tips. Hopefully everything will now get better cause the sociopath will realize more players are watching him now.

mange1234

mange1234

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bar them from the game

I would think the cheater would be banished form the game.

Mike

L

LukeSilver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I normally handle such situations more subtly then outright accusing someone. saying the total pot does not seem right or is a bit less then you would think does not imply you are calling him a cheat he just may mean you thought there was a mistake somewhere, it also avoids the issue of you looking like a **** if you are wrong.

it raises suspicions slightly and your not doing it in such a controversial manner.

R

Rumme1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would think the cheater would be banished form the game.

Mike

Yes....but in todays zombified phony facebook selfie world , it seems that men no longer act like men . Several players at this game, have now admitted to me, that they thought this guy was cheating, but they didnt have the guts to speak up . I am positive this guy has been stealing from them for many years in the local games.

I actually dont mind this guy in the game { as long as we stop his chip stealing} . Hes very loose....VERY LOOSE...he plays every hand and he is a gambler at heart . Hes a very lucky gambler at that and is definitely a big winner in the game ...but one day when his luck runs out, he wont beat the game cause he lacks discipline and wants to play every hand he is dealt. Hes the kinda player that if he doesnt win a pot in 20 minutes, he starts complaining how bad he is running.....which is pathetic because I often dont win 1 hand in 3 hours and if I can win 1 hand per hour, I feel I am doing good .

tocloc238

tocloc238

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am very observant at a poker table. In 15 minutes, I know who the suckers are...who the tight players are..who the bluffers are ,etc.

From what I see in this game, no one else is in on this chip stealing. This sociopath does it all on his own, and everyone else is oblivious. You must remember, he is around 40 years old , and many of the other players are 70+ years old...so they are not alert and they often overlook their own hands. It is a perfect scenario for a sociopath like him , to steal a few extra chips out of the pot each night and im sure hes been doing it for years to this same bunch of players .

Do you really think my best option is to completely quit this no rake game, where I am a regular winner ? No one thinks it would be best to get this sociopath one on one { like in my car} and tell him I see what he is doing, and as long as he doesnt do it to the pot, when im in it { I only play 5% or less of hands im dealt| ..I wont say a word about it ? Keep in mind, im a 48 year old weightlifter, so im not physically scared of this guy in anyway..he weighs about 300 lbs and is obese and out of shape.

OT, I should probably make a new thread, but wanted to ask here anyway.....

I was doing a search trying to find players who play really tight and came across this thread.

All my friends say that by playing too tight is just leaving money on the table, and it just would become obvious to everyone that I'd have a premium hand.

Rumme, Do you still find it profitable playing super tight?

midgetfactory

midgetfactory

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its never happened in a game i was playing in, but id make sure the player was told he is not welcome the next time. No place for cheaters

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so many years that no one realizes is unlikely,
surely they have left to do this all the time for any reason.

I rise from the table, letting them know why, probably with some ironic phrase, which leave evidence on the subject in question

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
What would I do ?

Ignore it , because you are a winner in the game anyways , and he is a local player and you know its possible that none of his friends at the table will believe that their friend is cheating.
if it gets worse jut sop playing all together. :jd4:

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would make it my last game. They are willing to play with this guy and if they haven't had enough control over the game at this point they never will.

Organize a Home Poker Game Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Top 10 Games