How to pick a "Good" Table?

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Iv read a few articles in the past few days which have stated that table selection is one of the most important things when playing ring games. However when i play i just log on click 4 tables and start playing thats it i dont look at anything but i see these stats like average pot, hands per hour, percentage of players seen the flop or w/e it is.

Can somebody explain their own strategy of how to pick a good table, i know it varies for playing types etc etc but can anybody give a general outline of how they pick their own tables and what do these stats shown by the poker rooms mean in terms of a "good" table.

Thankyou
Jake

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Highest % of players seeing the flop, followed by average pot size. I wont sit unless it's at least 30%+ seeing the flop (40+% is better), with bigger pots being better.

Here is a tool you can use, although really I find it easier to just pick manually...

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Highest % of players seeing the flop, followed by average pot size. I wont sit unless it's at least 30%+ seeing the flop (40+% is better), with bigger pots being better.

Here is a tool you can use, although really I find it easier to just pick manually...

How do you pick manually AG, what do you look for and whats good about those tables mate ?

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you pick manually AG, what do you look for and whats good about those tables mate ?

See above?

Main criteria is a high percentage of players seeing the flop.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically, the higher % seeing the flop the looser the table is and that is a goldmine for a TAG player.
I personally like 40%+ seeing the flop with an average of 65+ hands per hour

C

chink44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, high number of players to the flop is my number one concern. But this can also depend on how your style of play is

If you are a LAG you can sit at maybe a tighter table and take down some hands pre flop or on the flop

If you are TAG sit at the loose tables and wait for hands. Just dont get mad when 4 people call your huge preflop raise and you have to fold big hands.

Facey

Facey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i didnt know their was a science to it i usually just pick any random table
as long as its in my bankroll. next time i will pay more attention to it

Shakes

Shakes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice topic guys, I have been thinking of playing cash games recently and could use the help since I mostly play tournaments. Is there anything else to look at for picking a good table to sit at?

ABorges

ABorges

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like said highest % of players to the flop and biggest average pot. I also don't like to play short stacks that kill my implied odds so I avoid playing in tables that have lots of them.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bookmark, great thread.................

H

Hisx1ncPS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
table selection

Like others have said, high % to flop, and high avg. pot size.

The thing is, since everyone is pretty much looking for the same type of table, as the fish leave, they often get replaced by better players. If you don't check to make sure that the table is still a good one every once in awhile, you might find yourself at a bad table that was once promising.

If I don't see at least 2-3 targets, I'll usually find another table.

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow some people are saying like 30%+ and 40%+ thats correct for 100NL and under, but too high to multitable higher stakes.

Im looking at Stars right now, under the 200NL section, full ring of course. There are only 5 tables over 30%+ and 1 table 40%+

Usually I just aim for mid-20+% for 1/2, to me thats fairly active for FR 200NL. Now for 100NL there are about 15 tables 30%+ and about 6-8 40%+ tables, BIG difference and much easier to table select at the 30%+ level.

It all depends on the stakes you are playing when picking table selection, the higher you go, the more you have to settle with lesser % pf.

400NL has only 2 tables over 30% pf, thats it. =O

PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends kow much money i have if i dont have much then im looking for the smaller avg. pots cause i will be risking less losses

You'd also be limiting your wins.

If you can't afford to lose a few buy-ins, then you are playing too high stakes.

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends kow much money i have if i dont have much then im looking for the smaller avg. pots cause i will be risking less losses

Worst. Table. Selection. Ever.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Get a fish list. Find huge donating players, sit on thier left, take their monies.

T

tiamarie223

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to chose tables with a low avg pot. And I also dont immediatley post the blind when I sit. I like to watch the table for a minute before I start playing.

V

vagas35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to chose tables with a low avg pot. And I also dont immediatley post the blind when I sit. I like to watch the table for a minute before I start playing.

I watch people doing this, then note them tight which they usually are

V

vagas35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I joined Titan Poker a few months back because the cc review said there was a lot of fish and also to get into the cc freeroll, the average players at the flop from 2nl up to 25nl at six seater and ten cash tables are well below 50% usually about 25% or less.

I play william hill, the average players at the flop up to 25nl on the same tables are 50% up to 80% thats no joke i have just checked both sites.
Believe me it makes a massive difference, Titan is just so slow and tight its a total grind. If you want fish there's no better site than Will Hill.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
miracle

i don't play on tables with high % seeing flop,,,to many playing borderline cards and if they suck out on the flop i'm dead meat,,,,,also high pots for a low stakes game,,,might mean someone pressing alot before flop,,,,any way just my thoughts

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cheers guys just come back off hols and might get a session in tonight before i go away again on sat but will take this into consideration

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't play on tables with high % seeing flop,,,to many playing borderline cards and if they suck out on the flop i'm dead meat,,,,,also high pots for a low stakes game,,,might mean someone pressing alot before flop,,,,any way just my thoughts
That is where you make your money, from the reckless fish who just spew money away, but if you prefer an endless grind, be my guest.