bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
How often does luck help you in poker?
Every hand you either have good or bad luck ... better poker skills & better reads will most likely result in good luck more often than not.

I always smile when someone chats, " good catch" after I actually win a hand...yep, every card dealt is a "catch". It is much better to catch a good card that helps make your hand better. But, seriously, there is much more to poker than simply good or bad luck even though poker can often be very fickle too with the bad beats.

Hope to see you on the felts.

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You know, I don't need luck. I need a fairness in poker. For example, when I get a conditional "KK", my opponent with conditional "A8" often gets an "A" on post-flop. That's how I got knocked out of Sunday Storm, for example, a few months ago. When a fish calls my "KK", "QQ", "JJ", I expect a fair % of hands won, not that I should get lucky. Unfortunately, at one well known poker room fairness is not even close. Just coolers, high % wins of weak hands and helping chip leaders against smaller stacks. :mad:

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, it is an interesting question. I think luck is all part of the game. From the point that you sit at the tables. Who is to your right and who is to your left? What cards are you dealt and who decides to play is all a matter of luck. Of course, skill plays a great part into it but you can't deny the luck involved in every hand. Well good luck at the tables.

S

Spondzile

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Im not sure how often,but ofc It does help sometimes, but same time when I win by luck I know It shouldn't be by luck, otherwise I have played poorly my post flop.Im not talking about cooler situation,more like example catching flush with only two pair or so

A

alonsorizo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CR
Chips
The confidence and attitude you have in each tournament and at each table is more important, but there are times when it is clear that you are having a good day or a lucky day...

R

Rmi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
When you learn to play solidly, you don't need luck because you will know how to exploit players without luck on your side.

AndyFio

AndyFio

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Literally a month ago, when I started playing a little on pokerstars again, my luck turned away from me as much as possible, but now this has already been corrected and I’m even more lucky than unlucky

9peso

9peso

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't rely on luck when playing poker, but it's sometimes helpful.
My strategy is to wait until the flop and calculate the chances of winning.
If I have big chances I bet, otherwise I check or call.

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well, you do have 60% of the common cards displayed on the flop alone so maybe this is a good place to 'decide' if you are gonna play in the hand.
Luck is a big part of playing poker, but one's poker skills & timing seem to make for better luck.

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think poker is 80% skill 20% luck.

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It helps so much that even skills don't help.:)

M

misshailz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Luck is definitely in this game, however knowing when and how much to bet is key.
How much is your hand worth betting?
This is determined by cards dealt, what position your in and how many players in the pot etc

W

Wega85

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
you certainly need luck. you also need to pray to the poker gods:D

Ataman911

Ataman911

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Luck is very necessary in poker, I use a pune every day:)

O

oskarsbaumanis2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is one of the main keys to victory.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
If you could have hand strength switched on then you wouldn't have to calculate certain scenarios though ...

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is important in every game, always. I play tournaments, S&G and some tables. Without luck you can't win a tournament and even some cash games. So luck is important with no doubts.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Me personally. Likely less then most micro/low stakes as I play a TAG style and have the willpower to stick with it and only get outta line against certain villains(the all-in shovers) that are easy to exploit.

I mean can you really call it luck when you start preflop with the best hand majority of the time, get out flopped and then hit the river to win? I certainly don't call that luck even if I got lucky on the river. The guy who starts with the best hand is suppose to win the majority of the time when he starts with the best hand how's that considered luck? It's not even though is some cases 1 needs to be lucky on the river to win such hands.

Now MTT's require a lot more luck then just cash tables where you can easily reload. To win or final table an MTT one needs to win many hands that are basically coinflips. Lose any 1 of them coinflips it's over. Need to be very lucky to win all them flips.

Cash vs MTT's luck difference. My experience as a winning player at both. Over 20 years I have a 65%+ session win rate in my cash sessions. MTT's I have gone 2-3 years without making a final table or winning an MTT. Pretty huge luck difference when it comes to what it takes for luck when it comes to winning MTT's vs Cash. You need to be extremely lucky to do well in MTT's compared to cash tables.

Cheers!!!

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I don’t play poker for 2-3 days, after that good combinations appear in the game )))

DiazPoker3101

DiazPoker3101

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I believe luck played a significant role, but it's not everything. In my experience, I've learned that besides luck, it's about reading opponents and utilizing statistics. With that foundation, you're set to begin. Then, it's about putting in the volume and playing a lo

mr.fers_one

mr.fers_one

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
oh, I don't know, it's rare, of course I'm lucky, but I try not to hope much for it ...))

Sir Shove a Lot

Sir Shove a Lot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
The rub of the green is not to be discounted in poker. However one thing no poster has mentioned so far, is that you need one player (preferably) to go with your premium preflop. I do find it frustrating to have premium pockets, make a conventional 3xBB raise and everybody folds. I know that premium pockets don't guarantee a win though, but I do like to get the opportunity to play them.