How often do you listen to your instincts?

A

acetalker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am still with the beginner's strategy a lot, but there are times that i listen to my instinct and see whats up. I would say its pretty much a 50-50 chance i observed.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you play only ABC poker or you can make some insane moves like 3-bet with 8-2off and flop a full house? Sometimes, I have the feeling, that I have to play exactly in that way, it looks so stupid from outside, but often it gives great results.
What about you, folks?
the excess of confidence is one thing and the other is instinct, but the instinct also has good results sometimes to all the players .... it is always good to have a little confidence and faith in oneself

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seems like way too often considering how often I lose haha

J

jignesh_cse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot and my instinct is often wrong................

wilpinsi

wilpinsi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have this problem of having a good reading of the opponent, but I keep paying, to see in the end that I was right, but I did not believe my reading, how can I control this instinct that even knowing that I am lost, I do not give up?

O

Ofarah

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on positioning. Sometimes I'll play something crazy on the button just to mix up my play and keep everyone unbalanced. Even if you miss the flop you can barrel and see if you take down the pot.

E

Ekaterina Danilenko

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very often, the instinct is that you need to do, but unfortunately I did not listen and lose

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The instinct of the player is that inner voice that can sometimes give the right recommendations about the opponent's cards or his behavior on the following streets. Most often, the reasons for such recommendations are difficult to justify, but they should be listened to. For many professional players, the poker instinct is very well developed, so sometimes it feels like they see someone else's cards through and can accurately predict the opponent's actions.
A person by nature can be wrong, but you can not go against your poker instincts.

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes you should follow your instincts. But not calling with 82, never. When you think your opponent is bluffing you, you should call him but only when you have high kicker. Maybe he is bluffing with a2. So when you think he is bluffing you shoul raise. But not to often.

S

SimplyTheWin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always listen to my instinct.

rsimms

rsimms

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't quite play ABC poker but I do have a game plan before I sit down and play. I am getting better at trusting my instincts when playing. I think that you really need to play a lot of hands in different situations to really get a good trust for your instincts and not use it as an excuse make a call that you really shouldn't be making. For me to trust my gut, I need to be comfortable at the table, and really focused on the game. I haven't been a serious player for very long, so I am still building the library of situations that make the alarm go off in my head that something fishy is going on.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm a very logical person. I thought that smart and logical people would always do well in poker and that people who are bad at math / logic and who play by instinct would play badly. but in practice it does not work that well.

Maksat

Maksat

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I very often appeal to my instinct, rarely make mistakes

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not following my instinct and this is dropping me at the beginning of the tournament, I know what the villain has I know I'm losing hands and paid to see the showdown, so he shows the cards and what I imagine I'm going start following my instincts, as you hope to have more luck.

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Instincts

Well, I think that in poker everything is related, and not only related to the strength of your holding.Whenever I am quite sure about my understanding of what is happening on the table, and that I find the good spot to steal by 3 betting, or set up a steal on the flop by continuation betting after 4 betting pre, I would go for it no questions asked even without looking at my hand.
But still, this is not something you do without going through a quite complex process of understanding your opponents state of mind, and the rules of position and the stack sizes and many other factors that may occur while making the decision to make that kind of move.
Then of course, your instincts would lead you to those spots where you'd make a lot of money.

8CrazyEights8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I'm in the flow and trust my game, and sometimes when I'm tired, I use more of my instincts to deal with the opponent, it really works.

Manjerica1

Manjerica1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you play only ABC poker or you can make some insane moves like 3-bet with 8-2off and flop a full house? Sometimes, I have the feeling, that I have to play exactly in that way, it looks so stupid from outside, but often it gives great results.
What about you, folks?
I have my favorite Hand that is Q9 suited or off, and 70% of the times I pay to see the Flop If isnt to scary...
I think we can call It Lucky or instinct haha

Terrell423

Terrell423

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All the time in live poker bc I have way more information...not that much online

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play preflop tight and disciplined, but will make an instinct bluff when sensing weakness. Everything should be calculated and rarely played just off the cuff.

K

kceow2981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Often when I "go with my gut" on stuff I tend to do much more poorly than usual. My gut is not currently trained and is not a thinking player, my brain is though. I always need to really sit down and think hard (preferably out loud) about what my opponents could have in each situation and to think whether I can get called by worse by betting or whether I can get better hands to fold by betting etc. Am I ahead of my opponents range most of the time here? etc.

When I don't actively stop myself from just clicking buttons and instead think critically, I make wayyyyyy better decisions.

Though occasionally sometimes it does feel good to be like "screw it, I'm calling this turn cbet with just a gutshot straight draw and nothing else cuz I can feel it coming." And when it hits for you, that definitely is nice.

soccer1996

soccer1996

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
very cautious attitude to the instincts .. at major tournaments I try to conduct a safe game ...

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play my instincts , but only occasionally . I often try to see flops with weak cards , but I usually don't raise with them . See a cheap flop if it hits fine , if not fold and move on .

G

gomes766

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Every time I play. I believe in beginner's luck!