How much did you lose the first time you played poker?

• Thread starter dangbaonguyen93
  • Start date
V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I won money the first time I played poker, I wish that would have continued.

silentshowdown

silentshowdown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I lost $500 in 5 days before deciding to learn, learn and read more books
used to struggle with online poker. I started playing about 5-6 years ago and even bought some Udemy courses, but I didn’t really take it seriously. I played recklessly and often faced criticism from other players. I ended up losing my initial deposit of $50 and decided to stop.

A year later, I was inspired by a poker game on YouTube and decided to give it another shot. But I hadn’t changed my overly aggressive style and ended up losing another $50.

The following year, history repeated itself. I watched another YouTube video, deposited $50, and lost it all again.

However, things took a turn in October 2023. Yet another YouTube video sparked my interest in poker, but this time, I was determined to learn. I revisited the Udemy courses I had purchased and even bought a few more. I also invested in several eBooks, including ones from BlackRain79. I took my learning seriously and saw significant improvement in my game. I finally started seeing positive results and decided to move up from 2NL to 5NL. I’m excited to see how it goes.

In total, I’ve lost about $150 on poker. But I’m hopeful that with my new skills and understanding, I’ll be able to turn things around. 😊

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I can honestly say I have never lost a Dime playing Poker, Not of my money, Sure I lose, some days I couldn't catch a cold, let alone a decent Flop, But starting from day one playing nothing but freerolls, Saving the small cashes I made, I soon built up a small bankroll, from that I started playing in Micro Stake games, and over time I raised my buy-ins until now I can buy-in to bigger games.
My biggest loss was £50 one night where I thought I had bought into a 50 Pence game, Playing while I was drunk (never again) but that came from a Bankroll of £150 all won from Freerolls and smaller buy-in, Sit and Go games. I eventually won it all back again but that taught me a very important lesson, never play when I am drunk!

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
First time online 20+ years ago never lost a dime even though I started with only $150 deposit and sat at 50nl full-ring cash tables so only had 3 buy-ins lmfao. God I miss the good old days of oceans and oceans of brainless fish. I don't recommend even bothering sitting at any stake now-days with only 3 buy-ins.

Ran that $150 quickly up too 1k before my first losing session. Did bust once right after my second or third withdraw. Took too much out not leaving enough in and hit some variance. Since then haven't deposited in 15+ years on my main site. Bankroll management is key.

Cheers!!!

Last edited:
MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my first week of playing I didn't lose anything at all and even won about $2. But in my first month I lost about $20 in total. My biggest loss at one time is about $100.

jose_saleh

jose_saleh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
I lost 0 dollars, I started playing freerolls

alminoDZ

alminoDZ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DZ
Chips
I had no balance. I only played in freerolls. Over time, I won and had a balance. I've started competing in medium tournaments, but I haven't won a lot of money yet.

tony2521

tony2521

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
The first time I played poker I didn't lose because it was a freeroll tournament and I made it to ITM :)

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didn't lost anything, my first deposit was made years after I started to play. When I started to play many years ago there were so many freerolls that the only reason to deposit was to able to cashouts the freerolls winnings.

Cardshades

Cardshades

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I lost $500 in 5 days before deciding to learn, learn and read more books
Do you have any recommendations that significantly contributed to your success in future poker tournaments? Whether it's insightful books, online resources, or specific strategies and so forth?

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I remember it was a 100$ deposit, lost it few days.

xliuksasx

xliuksasx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
LT
Chips
Overall I think I lost ~500$, but out of it learned a lot. Mainly played micro limit cash games.

Flower2211

Flower2211

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I haven't lost much at poker because I play mostly in freerolls

fryderyk

fryderyk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
At the beginning of the game, small amounts, $20 to $60. I actually played small tournaments and satellites so the contribution was small.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
the first 4-5 years when I started to play poker I didnt lose , but this happend 15 years ago :))..after that period only loses , but lucky for me is that I grown up and accept my loses and stop playing big money on the tables :)

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Poker is no different from any other profession. You can start sewing boots. If you start now, you will sew crooked and bad ones, because... no experience. But you can sell them for $30. There is already income. And only after a year or two will your experience allow you to make good shoes. Unless of course you get tired of it.
That's exactly what I did. It was a long and tedious process to sew shoes. And I still do this.I lost 10 dollars.Always play only at your limit. And one more thing: as soon as you feel His Majesty Tilt approaching, get the hell out of the table! Tomorrow you will recoup. Poker isn't going anywhere, but your money is.

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't even remember how much I lost when I started, but it was a lot. I don't understand 10% of what I understand about the game today.