• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
L

loomis311

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I lost a lot of money when I first started. I probably dropped $2000 overall before I started winning. I remember the first time I deposited $200 on partypoker I lost it in like 15 minutes.

sickpuppy

sickpuppy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ill invest from 17 to round 23$ just depends i mostly play frees but i really like micro games.

Salvete777

Salvete777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I invest ~10$ month, really like playing micro tournaments and heads up.

S

stefffan1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't deposit every month. When I do I usually deposit 20-30$. And I invest another 20-50$ in live games. But I play for fum , mostly.

D

devlemincx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
just started playing online poker, deposited 25 euros in pokerstars, i hope i won't have to deposit 50 bucks every month, haha :p

gonna try to keep it low

P

pozzy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually invest about $1000 monthly and usually lose $400 monthly lol

dudemanstan

dudemanstan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to take this time to send out a big fat, extra large, and super sized thank you to all the people that play poker for fun, and make monthly deposits.:pcguru:
I love you all so much! Thanks for the cash!!:marchmell

Snakmacher

Snakmacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I deposited over 200 USD and still at zero bankroll - had hard times of seeing correctly cards and colours - which I was able to remove by today and my hands improved signifficantly so I am sure that one more deposit and my problem will be gone :)

B

bernotas22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I deposited over 200 USD and still at zero bankroll - had hard times of seeing correctly cards and colours - which I was able to remove by today and my hands improved signifficantly so I am sure that one more deposit and my problem will be gone :)

one more and then another and another and another, and then you will be getting the good run switch activated on your account, the more you deposit the better chance pokerstars chooses you as the next donkament winner! good luck keep depositing and helping to keep poker profitable for the 10 percent :) seriously though don't deposit unless you are just playing for entertainment :icon_joke

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
one more and then another and another and another, and then you will be getting the good run switch activated on your account, the more you deposit the better chance pokerstars chooses you as the next donkament winner! good luck keep depositing and helping to keep poker profitable for the 10 percent :) seriously though don't deposit unless you are just playing for entertainment :icon_joke
This is even more ridiculous than somebody depositing $50 every month. There are plenty of valid reasons to deposit. Many of us can't be arsed to slog through freerolls to build a starting BR. I'd rather gouge out my eyes with a rusty spoon. If you can afford to deposit, then by all means deposit -- no reason to punish yourself. I never understood all the "build it from nothing" crowd.

Last edited:
wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't deposit on line unless it's to get something from the poker site,,such as an entry to a big tournament, bonus etc. I go play a live $60 tournament maybe every six weeks or so,, haven't cashed there yet.

B

bernotas22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is even more ridiculous than somebody depositing $50 every month. There are plenty of valid reasons to deposit. Many of us can't be arsed to slog through freerolls to build a starting BR. I'd rather gouge out my eyes with a rusty spoon. If you can afford to deposit, then by all means deposit -- no reason to punish yourself. I never understood all the "build it from nothing" crowd.

not more ridiculous at all, if you can't even build a roll starting from $1 which you can get easily from freerolls and then go grind fixed limit or doing the lowest variance games, running and gunning, whatever to build that small roll then you aren't good to me, depositing $50 a month is not better...not even close unless of course you don't care and aren't interested in playing great

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not more ridiculous at all, if you can't even build a roll starting from $1 which you can get easily from freerolls and then go grind fixed limit or doing the lowest variance games, running and gunning, whatever to build that small roll then you aren't good to me, depositing $50 a month is not better...not even close unless of course you don't care and aren't interested in playing great

As usual, you see things through your own naive view of reality with no consideration for others' experience. Just the "then you aren't good to me" comment is incredibly arrogant and narrow-minded, not to mention ignorant, of you.

It isn't about skill. It's about patience and value of my time. Even when I played my first game of online poker, penny stakes and free rolls weren't worth my time. I started at 25NL and quickly moved to 50NL, depositing as much as I needed to get the hang of things until I could sustain myself. Playing for hours to make $8 was a waste of my time, which is far more valuable than that. I also wanted to learn more advanced play which is pretty pointless and counter-productive at the micros/freerolls due to the level 1 play.

Again, there are many valid reasons for depositing. The idea that someone can't play poker if they aren't willing to grind from zero is beyond ridiculous.

B

bernotas22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As usual, you see things through your own naive view of reality with no consideration for others' experience. Just the "then you aren't good to me" comment is incredibly arrogant and narrow-minded, not to mention ignorant, of you.

It isn't about skill. It's about patience and value of my time. Even when I played my first game of online poker, penny stakes and free rolls weren't worth my time. I started at 25NL and quickly moved to 50NL, depositing as much as I needed to get the hang of things until I could sustain myself. Playing for hours to make $8 was a waste of my time, which is far more valuable than that. I also wanted to learn more advanced play which is pretty pointless and counter-productive at the micros/freerolls due to the level 1 play.

Again, there are many valid reasons for depositing. The idea that someone can't play poker if they aren't willing to grind from zero is beyond ridiculous.

well if you wanted to play high level why not go play for play money on stars with really high stakes, im sure the play there is much better than micro play money ;) i see where your coming from but honestly how can you be that good if you can't go through the trials and tribulations of freerolls, or is it that it doesn't mean you are good or bad if you build up a roll from nothing? are you just being money oriented here basically that's what it seems, and yes to me and to probably anyone it should mean if you can't and are unable to build a sizable roll from freerolls you aren't very good actually unless like you said you just don't feel like doing so

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

As for as willing to play for some certain amount of money and time it's all relative. I grind out a profit every month, pennies compared to what you play for but it's not all about the money for me, I love the game.

If a person is depositing $50 or a $100 or a $10,000 a month and it's an affordable hobby or they are making a profit, then go for it. But if someones family is suffering because of their poker "fun" then they may want to try some other hobby.

Just my thoughts

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As for as willing to play for some certain amount of money and time it's all relative. I grind out a profit every month, pennies compared to what you play for but it's not all about the money for me, I love the game.

If a person is depositing $50 or a $100 or a $10,000 a month and it's an affordable hobby or they are making a profit, then go for it. But if someones family is suffering because of their poker "fun" then they may want to try some other hobby.

Just my thoughts
I agree completely with everything you said. Particularly, it certainly is relative, which is why I have a big problem with categorical statements suggesting if you deposit you're a loser and can't play poker. In my response to the OP I said that depositing $50 every month might be a problem if his goal was to become a winning player, because if he's applying himself to learn the game and still requiring that many deposits, then he's probably doing something wrong. But if he considers $50/month an entertainment expense because he just enjoys the game, then there's nothing wrong with that at all. More power to him. I spend way more than that a month on frivolous entertainment.

I still argue that it's an indisputable fact is that the act of depositing by itself has no bearing on skill. If Phil Ivey sits down to a new poker site, he's going to deposit or P2P a starting bankroll -- he's not going to start at freerolls, LOL. I'm not Phil Ivey, although I would venture to say I play a better game than most only because 90% of poker players are losing players and I'm not. But even when I started out and was a losing player, I preferred to deposit $1000 and play 25NL than to endure freerolls and penny stakes to get there. I was more motivated to get better because I had real stakes on the line, and playing against better players will grow your game a helluva lot faster than playing only equal or lesser players (especially bad players). And before someone points it out: Note I didn't say playing better players is better for your winrate, but rather it's an investment in your education that can pay dividends later. Now of course I'd rather sit at a table of lesser players, because I can better adjust and understand how they play, but can also hold my own against regs.

These days I only deposit when I join a new site. It might be only a small amount, a few buy-ins, to try things out. If it looks like I'll settle there, I deposit big so that I can play the stakes I'm accustomed to. Occasionally I'll withdraw a large chunk of my roll to fund a vacation or other large purchase, leaving myself a small nut to play with, then decide it's not enough to keep me interested so I redeposit to play bigger.

And LOL at the very idea of playing "high stakes play money" instead. As if that means anything. No thanks, I'm playing to win real money and to test my skill against (and learn from) real players. Outside of something like a CC League Game, where there is more on the line than money, I have no time for play money.

Point being: there are many valid reasons to deposit, so to insult people for doing it is just being narrow-minded and ignorant about it. And in case it's not obvious, it tilts me.

Last edited:
wolfie

wolfie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
starting deposited 4 times in the start off me playing poker online.
after that i played only with money made off poker, withdrawn winnings and deposited part of the winnings again, mostly to get nice bonesses !
after the first 4 deposits i never had to invest any of my non poker money again, and it payed for a few holl;ydays and my marriage in thailand :)

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
^^^ Yeah, I forgot to mention bonuses as yet another excellent reason to be depositing. I will often throw a few hundred extra on a site to take advantage of a bonus offer.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I agree completely with everything you said. Particularly, it certainly is relative, which is why I have a big problem with categorical statements suggesting if you deposit you're a loser and can't play poker. In my response to the OP I said that depositing $50 every month might be a problem if his goal was to become a winning player, because if he's applying himself to learn the game and still requiring that many deposits, then he's probably doing something wrong. But if he considers $50/month an entertainment expense because he just enjoys the game, then there's nothing wrong with that at all. More power to him. I spend way more than that a month on frivolous entertainment.

I still argue that it's an indisputable fact is that the act of depositing by itself has no bearing on skill. If Phil Ivey sits down to a new poker site, he's going to deposit or P2P a starting bankroll -- he's not going to start at freerolls, LOL. I'm not Phil Ivey, although I would venture to say I play a better game than most only because 90% of poker players are losing players and I'm not. But even when I started out and was a losing player, I preferred to deposit $1000 and play 25NL than to endure freerolls and penny stakes to get there. I was more motivated to get better because I had real stakes on the line, and playing against better players will grow your game a helluva lot faster than playing only equal or lesser players (especially bad players). And before someone points it out: Note I didn't say playing better players is better for your winrate, but rather it's an investment in your education that can pay dividends later. Now of course I'd rather sit at a table of lesser players, because I can better adjust and understand how they play, but can also hold my own against regs.

These days I only deposit when I join a new site. It might be only a small amount, a few buy-ins, to try things out. If it looks like I'll settle there, I deposit big so that I can play the stakes I'm accustomed to. Occasionally I'll withdraw a large chunk of my roll to fund a vacation or other large purchase, leaving myself a small nut to play with, then decide it's not enough to keep me interested so I redeposit to play bigger.

And LOL at the very idea of playing "high stakes play money" instead. As if that means anything. No thanks, I'm playing to win real money and to test my skill against (and learn from) real players. Outside of something like a CC League Game, where there is more on the line than money, I have no time for play money.

Point being: there are many valid reasons to deposit, so to insult people for doing it is just being narrow-minded and ignorant about it. And in case it's not obvious, it tilts me.

Obviously Lebron James sucks because he skipped college b-ball, because that's where players go to prove themselves:confused:

Pretty sure you're better off debating with a boulder Dave.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty sure you're better off debating with a boulder Dave.
I know. I keep telling myself to walk away from these silly debates. Then someone goes and bumps the thread with something I strongly agree or disagree with and I can't resist LOL.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I know. I keep telling myself to walk away from these silly debates. Then someone goes and bumps the thread with something I strongly agree or disagree with and I can't resist LOL.

Actually I'm gonna run away and unsubscribe right now before I get sucked in too:vroam:

SyKoChiller

SyKoChiller

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like almost every other CC player; I haven't deposited in well over a year & have only deposited a handful of times total, either to jumpstart my BR on a site or to take advantage of a really great bonus offer.
We need more recreational players like yourself though to keep the game going so keep enjoying the game.

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Today's deposit was $251 on Stars for that $100k Carnival Freeroll promo thingy :)
(I also move my money around alot to play in different tourneys)

I deposited $30 and received a Carnival ticket.

Do they give more tickets if I deposit more?