How many tables do you play at once?

B

bilgert

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play 1-2 but that's because I'm playing stud and razz and it's difficult to keep track of the cards if I play more than that.

If I'm playing hold'em or omaha hi then I'll go up to 4- but usually I only play 2 since I'm just a casual player and am just looking to have a little fun.

WORM

WORM

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play 1 table only. I could handle as many as 5 but it's just not as fun, to me poker is a way to relax and use my brain to try and outsmart folks, not use the ol' calculating odds system that you pretty much do with every hand when at mulipule tables.

burntrider

burntrider

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm def a single-table player. Anymore than and I start to get distracted by whats going on in the other games. I guess its just an old-man's habit of playing live that rubbed off onto this youngin'.

swrittenb

swrittenb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
4 seems to be the magic number for me, they fit nicely in the corners of the screen that way. :) Seriously though, for someone who is still trying to improve their game, probably want to stick to a smaller number to start. None of this 24 table madness.

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like getting AA 21 times in one day, and having them hold up 20 of those times.:D

Goodwooter

Goodwooter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i prefer to play no more than two tables at once...it allows me to play more hands without losing the ability to pay attention to whats going on at each table

D

DuaneK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your just playing for the money go for as many as you can handle and still make a profit. I perfer to play 1 table and enjoy the game.

B

ballboy75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
usually im only a 1 table at a time kinda guy, but lately, ive been able to play 3 tables well.
i played 3 tables yesterday at 0.02\0.05 stakes yesterday, in all 3 i sat down with 1.25$ and i came out with more than 10$ at the end of my playign session, which was about 1H and 20m. i had 1 table where i kept hitting good cards, had like 9 $ in it and 2 $ in the other ones.
anyway, felt kinda good, to be able to profit in multiple tables at once, i might try it again.

L

LukeSilver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
generally it depends what site you play on.
On poker stars I play 20 sit and goes at once and turn a worthwhile profit. When I have a bad session on the 9 player turbo sng's I head over to the double or nothings. For some reason I run into problems on the double or nothings if I play as many tables there and thus have to cut back to twelve, a few reasons for this,
1. Since the bubble is shorted reached quicker in double or nothings and play tightens up a lot near the bubble the hands are coming by at a much faster rate.
2. they learn and adapt, thus playing tight aggressive robot poker doesn't work as well as you would like they adapt and will call you in late position and re raise if they don't see an A or K there. Thus I started to learn to come in under the gun with suited connectors to give these guys a nasty surprise if an A or K came I could C bet and take down the pot there and if I hit middle pair i could expect a large pot to be won generally it worked well and they soon stopped been so wise.

It's not so hard to play so many tables at once. But it is harder to notice people getting a read on you, if your going to be a mulitabler I recommend doing it on stars as it is easy to get lost in the numbers and you have less chance of bumping into the same guys again who can get a read on your play. Think about it if you play on 20 tables and there just on the one they have the advantage of getting a read though a lot of online players still seem clueless. On stars 20 tables can work on A site like Red kings where the software won't let you do so effectively and there is a much smaller player base and likely to meet the same players regularly I seriously would not recommend exceeding 5.

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First off, seems the overwhelming majority play NLHE. While even 8 tables seems tough to me, it is impossible at stud games (includes razz). You will lose all day if you're not keeping track of other peoples show cards, and what's already been folded. That said, I mostly play Omaha HL. While not as focus intensive as stud, it's far more complex than HE. I can play 3 tables very comfortably, but 2 is optimal for getting any kind of reads plus not getting bored. Most I've played was 5 at once, and it was a mistake, lost at all of them. At 4, I've only had a couple winning session.

Riverrogued, you say "The other advantage is that once you have acted, you don't have to worry about anything else with that table unless it comes back around and you need to act again." and "Say you make a good bet, and a poor player makes a terrible call but sucks out on you."

Well, I wanna make at LEAST a mental note, so I can assess his raise or call the next time. I see what your saying though. If you play very methodically, and can still win less at each table but more overall per hour, I guess the system works.

BTW, my windows don't pop up. The light flashes in the toolbar and I have to search for them. Guess the pro multis choose the pop-up option, but that drives me nuts.

smerald

smerald

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i ussually play just 2 especiall when take 2 promo is in effect

E

Ebaum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I'm doing nothing but poker I'll do 8-10 tables (multi desktoping) with different servers. Every once in a while a string of hands at one place will tick me off and I'll swear they're rigged so I have plenty of backup for those days.
Of course I get over it and go back, but till then it doesn't stop me from playing.

TJ Cookier

TJ Cookier

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i play my best playing 4-6 tables. for a while i 24 tabled but missclicked a ton.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I play 4 to 10 tables at a time.

Play whatever feels right to you.

If your goal is to increase the number, then I would suggest adding one at time. Start by adding one (2 total) then when that feels right add one (3 total) and continue until you reach your goal.

Good Luck.

SydTheCat

SydTheCat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can only fit 4 on my laptop. Any more than that then I have over lapping screens. Once I have screens over lapping it gets to be too much for me. Screens start popping up and I'll accidently fold or bet.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What I do is stack the tables directly on top of each other at full size on my laptop. I definitely cannot handle tiling tables, at least more than about 4. I like the stacking arrangement because I don't have to move the mouse much at all on my turn, the tables pop up automatically when I need to act, and I can focus my vision in one place.
I'm not sure how you can stand this! Which sites do you play at? I've not tried Table Ninja yet but have played around with some AHK scripts, and it just seems like with stacking you'd be looking over one table getting prepared to bet, then another one or two would pop over the top, and if they're stacked you can't click on the other table to get it back. So you act on the new tables... does the original table where you were going to bet pop back up after awhile, or just when the timer alert pops or what? I'd be afraid that I'd lose a table with a big pot where I had a monster hand and timeout before I could find it again.

I tile my tables across 3 large monitors and since I only 4-6 table there's plenty of room without making them tiny. Sometimes I'll still timeout on a table because when I get a juicy hand and it looks like I have an opportunity to extract max value, I tune out the other tables and don't even hear them beeping at me sometimes. It would drive me nuts to have the rug pulled out from under me just as I was about to bet, and then scramble to find it again. 4 tables it wouldn't be hard, but 16+? Yeesh...

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play three to four ,,, all SNGs ,, I'm not much of a ring game player,,, get my butt kicked. I play multi tables because I seem to get bored and play too many hands otherwise.
Take care

N

NFLD_REBEL

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm playing micro cash games I can play 4 comfortably. If I'm playing tourneys I only play 3 if its games from different sites, but if its all on full tilt where I usually play 4 is fine.

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me the answer is Four. Any more than that and I can't do the game any justice.

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Apparently, from what several friends tell me, almost anyone can easily multi-table 10 and more by using a fairly new program Table Ninja (for pokerstars and just came out with FTP version).

Here is a brief review on a good software site....

http://www.pokersoftware.com/table-ninja/

I am reluctant to dwelve into more than 4-6..but even I may give it a try since I hear people rave about it.

Sephiroth

Sephiroth

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
multi

First of all i dont play freerolls and real money at the same time. If im playin real money 2 tables is good enough. If im playin freerolls it can go up to 5 or 6 but not much more then that.

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure how you can stand this! Which sites do you play at? I've not tried Table Ninja yet but have played around with some AHK scripts, and it just seems like with stacking you'd be looking over one table getting prepared to bet, then another one or two would pop over the top, and if they're stacked you can't click on the other table to get it back. So you act on the new tables... does the original table where you were going to bet pop back up after awhile, or just when the timer alert pops or what? I'd be afraid that I'd lose a table with a big pot where I had a monster hand and timeout before I could find it again.

This is not how it works at all. I have all the time in the world to make my decisions once the table pops up -- a new one will never pop up until I make my play on the current one. They just stack up behind each other. Say one table takes 20 seconds of thought, so I take 20 seconds, then I can click through the ones that don't require much thought in rapid succession and get to any that require more time. Even with 16 tables, I'm often just sitting and waiting for the next table to pop up since I'm totally caught up. I almost never get a warning signal and never time out. I never (or very rarely) misclick either, because I don't click a screen unless it's my turn to act. Those little "act-ahead" buttons like "Fold to any bet" -- I don't use those at all -- they're totally unnecessary.

Another nice thing is that I don't look at my cards until it is my turn, so I'm not tempted to get it in my head that I like them or not until all the information about the opponents' moves are in.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never (or very rarely) misclick either, because I don't click a screen unless it's my turn to act.

And using an AHK tool like Table Ninja really makes misclicks a nonevent since we're never clicking anything :) My Bet and Fold keys are far enough apart that I have not had a mis-key to date either.

K

kazor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anywhere from 1-8 depending upon my mood.