How many tables at a time do u play at?

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your the person I was talking about the supernova man, how did you set it up? Is your poker game like ABC, since your more card realiant more the anything, btw congrats on doing your thing.

tell me all about the set up you got going, plz and ty, I don't think i'll move up to 24 tables at a time, not quite yet, but one day i'll try it out, for now just want to mess around with 12

Still hoping for an action vid of 24 cascaded tables ;)

As Ninlions says, I was gonna try and do a video, but everytime I try to compress the video in Camtasia the thing just dies.

I'll give it 1 last try.

Anyways, if a post hasn't already been done about multi tabling effectively (not sure if Chuck has done one?), then I may do one when I get back from my hols next week.

In a nutshell, I have a 17" laptop and I can play 20 tables easily, and upto 24 if I desire.

To multi table effectively you need to use AHK scripts, which are basically small programs that you load up that enable you to shortcut your poker tasks either by the click of a mouse or the press of a key. For example, I use a betpot script that has predefined bets at the click of the mouse, ratheer than using the bet slider or typing an amount in.

Then you need to look at your layout, ie how you position your tables. There are 3 methods, tiled, stack and cascade.

Lastly you need to have a stats tracker, like HEM or PT3 etc.

I try to play a simple game, but I'm not nitty at all even when 20 tabling. My FR stats are around 14/11/2, which is TAG I would say for FR. Multitabling doesn't allow ou to make extravagant plays, thats not what MT about. It's about $/hr and imo rakeback or FPP's.

Anyhows, if no one knows of a recent strat thread on multi tabling then let me know. If there isn't one then as I said I may do one next week.

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyhows, if no one knows of a recent strat thread on multi tabling then let me know. If there isn't one then as I said I may do one next week.

I dont know what u mean by a multitabling strategy. I play pretty much the same whether I'm playing 14 tables or 1. I run ~15/11 at FR and ~22/18 at 6max no matter how many tables I have open although I never play more than 6 tables of 6max. Granted, I don't make a ton of plays at pots where I'm pretty sure I don't have the best hand when I'm 14 tabling, but tbh at 25 and 50NL, I'm never really making too many plays when I don't have a ton of tables open. Is you're play really that much different when u are playing say 12 tables compared to 2?

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got up to 18 tables. Moving up to 200nl I started with less and am working my way back up to 18. Anything higher and my computer starts having problems with performance. Not sure if I could handle 24 with a good enough computer, but it's definitely not only playing like a nit. Basically you play reasonably tight preflop and then since you're not involved in a ton of hands postflop you can spend some time making those plays. And of course the more experience you have the better you are at analyzing a situation and coming up with an optimal line. All MTs definitely don't just play ABC poker though.

G

Guittars

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find I'm at my most profitable playing 7 or 8 tables over 2 x 22" screens. I tend to play tighter when I don't have as much time to make decisions. But that's just me.

G

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but you couldn't play 18 tables like yesterday's 25NL 6max, right? :D

lol obviously not and 6max is definitely tougher to do so many as well. Just the more flops you get involved in the tougher it's going to be to heavy multi-table. If you're a 28/26 lag, you're not going to be able to play that many tables. But if you're like a 6/6 24 shouldn't be tough at all. You just raise JJ+/AK and fold everything else lol.

fin2head

fin2head

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The maximum number of tables I tried is 4, more than that it is too confusing as each table keeps popping up for your response sometimes interrupting your hand at the other table. The worst feeling you will get is when you have a monster hand at one table and because another hand interrupts, your monster hand gets timed out and autofolded. Then tilt city. I am more comfortable with just 3 games going at once. You dont get overwhelmed by switching screens. I saw the video of the multi-table play and my head was swimming just watching.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol obviously not and 6max is definitely tougher to do so many as well. Just the more flops you get involved in the tougher it's going to be to heavy multi-table. If you're a 28/26 lag, you're not going to be able to play that many tables. But if you're like a 6/6 24 shouldn't be tough at all. You just raise JJ+/AK and fold everything else lol.

About that. My feeling is that in the long run, I'd like to be good at 4 tabling 1000nl 6max, not 12+ tabling 200nl FR. I know you chose the opposite route, but do you think it's the best one in the long run ?

douglassf

douglassf

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I normally played at 3 or 4 tables at the same time, but if I am at the final table at the tourn I stop to played the other tables until I finished the tourn.

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play 1 table. Rarely two. If I do play 2 it might be a ring game and a freeroll.

I find myself jealous sometimes that the mega MT players have found a new way to beat the game, but it's just a different way to play it...

Part of me wants to to play online like I would in person... One table, disciplined, reading the players carefully and with as little software assistance as possible.

On one hand this puritanical view might mean I make less money than I could per hour... On the other hand it's much better for my live game.

Last thing... I love sitting in front of someone on 20 tables. It's sort of like playing someone who is sitting out but still paying blinds. I know if they are good they are making money at all those tables, but in my little world they are giving me their blinds 4 of 5 hands. ;)

Maybe someday I'll be smart enough to MT.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
About that. My feeling is that in the long run, I'd like to be good at 4 tabling 1000nl 6max, not 12+ tabling 200nl FR. I know you chose the opposite route, but do you think it's the best one in the long run ?

What makes you think I'm choosing the opposite? These aren't the options as first off I'm most likely not good enough and second off don't have the BR to play 1knl.

The options now are do I 4-table 200nl or 16-table 200nl? I can build the BR faster, see more hands, and improve much better the 16-table route. This is not my long-term goal, to be multi-tabling 200nl forever. Obviously if I find out I can't beat 400nl I'd go back to 200nl but my long-term goal is to get as high as I can. If I can work up to 1knl then I'll do that. Most likely at that point I wouldn't be 16-tabling.

I just don't understand what you're trying to say, like I'm choosing to grind millions of hands at the (comparatively) micros rather than move up if I can.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just don't understand what you're trying to say, like I'm choosing to grind millions of hands at the (comparatively) micros rather than move up if I can.

I'm very much guessing here because you're obviously further in your poker journey than I am.

What I mean is that given you current bankroll, you can probably choose between wnning 1BB/100 while 18 tabling 200nl FR and 3BB/100 while 6 tabling 200nl 6max which would give you a similar $$/hour. You'd get less FPP which would mean a lower ROI in the short run, but it would be a better training for what you really want to achieve long term.

Kind of what Fredrick is saying at the end of this post in his blog: Fredrik Paulsson: Betway $5k Challenge Update

tahoeden

tahoeden

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will not play more than 3 tables at one time. I think it is crazy to play more when money is on the line......

D

djg6678

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play 4-6 at a time. I find that if i only play 1 or 2, i tend to play to many lesser quality hands out of boredom.

J

judfra131

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to give my full attention to 1 table that I'm playing good at. I usually don't play at more than 3 at a time. When I play at more than one table I tend to make stupid moves just to get back to another table.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm very much guessing here because you're obviously further in your poker journey than I am.

What I mean is that given you current bankroll, you can probably choose between wnning 1BB/100 while 18 tabling 200nl FR and 3BB/100 while 6 tabling 200nl 6max which would give you a similar $$/hour. You'd get less FPP which would mean a lower ROI in the short run, but it would be a better training for what you really want to achieve long term.

Kind of what Fredrick is saying at the end of this post in his blog: Fredrik Paulsson: Betway $5k Challenge Update

I definitely agree with what was said in that blog entry, but basically what you're telling me is that 6max is more profitable than FR?

I tend to think of them as very different games and I'm not sure which has a higher possible winrate but I do know that 6max has a higher rake (because it's similar rake, but split among 6 and not 9). I've played a bit of 6max recently actually, did a bit of 50nl and did alright. Nothing special but I certainly played much better than the CC game at 25nl. Not sure if I'll try to start taking 6max seriously or just continue with FR, I'm thinking the latter as of now. I just don't see how playing 6max = improving a ton, and I definitely disagree that I could even close to triple my winrate by dividing my # of tables by 3.

davejs1671@yahoo.com

davejs1671@yahoo.com

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Occasionally I will play up to about 4 tables. I prefer concentrating on one table so that I am playing my best. I find it to hard to play multi tables and still feel that I am playing at my best.

U

Ummagumma

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can never play more than one table at a time. I end up either doing decent at best at both tables or altogether awful at both. It just seems to ruin my feel for the table and i rely heavily on feel. Plus, since i'm such a crappy human lol, if i bust in one i'll end up busting soon after in the other because of tilt :D

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I definitely agree with what was said in that blog entry, but basically what you're telling me is that 6max is more profitable than FR?.

What I'm saying mostly is that if your end goal is to play high stakes

1. you need to learn 6max because most of higher stakes online poker is 6max
2. you need to focus on BB/100 more than on volume

but i also think that 6max by nature has the potential to be more profitable than FR. There's a lot more of marginal situations where good players have an edge over lesser ones.

It's like. When people start playing on a micro bankroll, they play SNGs for BRM reasons. But most winning players end up switching to cash games. The reason for that is that SNGs are too simple a game. In the end, it's mostly about ICM push/folding and there's a stake where most players know that, so your edge becomes really small and the only way to increase your profit is through sheer volume. Deep stack cash games, on the other hand, are a hell of a lot more complex a game, and that makes them more profitable for the best player at the table.

To some extent, you have the same effect with FR and 6max. FR is somewhat simpler. Oversimplifying, it's mostly TAGness and nut peddling. 6max is more complex than that. Depends more on players and less on cards. And more complex means a better edge for the best players, including you.

It's true that rake is a bit higher at 6max, but that's irrelevant for the higher stakes, because rake is capped, and therefore it is just a tiny dent in a good high stakes player's win rate. What matters most is to play a game that is difficult enough for excellent players to have an edge over merely good ones.

B

bareknuckles

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
when i play on chan poker i have five games going at once...and when i play fulltilt i have 3games goin pokerstars i just play 2 games but chanpoker i make the screen smaller so i can see all 5:joyman:

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6max is totally more profitable, so many more fish. The swings seem alot more frequent but Id expect that.

Uhh I play 6 tables FR when possible, im pretty busto on main sites now so its alot lower :D but thats where im comfortable.

I think i could do 9 FR? never tried, I think would be alot more profitable but.... we will see

nascarbabe

nascarbabe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can safely play 4 tables at once...if i try to play anymore i can not read the people i am playing with

T

tdknight

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I find it helps a lot to be playing multiple tournaments at once. Mostly, I guess, because I play freerolls.

With all the donks out there, I get extremely frustrated when I lay down good cards and 3 people have gone all in with A4 J4 and 59. When I fold, I just play a different tournament and forget about my cards.

Also getting multiple monitors makes playing many tournaments a lot easier. With my laptop I can connect to a separate monitor and have 4 visible tournaments at once. helps with clicking...