How many all ins pre flop make AK a poor starting hand.

N

NotADonk

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi. My theory is that if the entire table, or almost all the table, goes all in, then AK is a poor hand as the villains likely hold A's and K's so AK is less likely to hit.

But what I can't decide is exactly how many all ins pre flop make AK a fold. What do you think ?

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi. My theory is that if the entire table, or almost all the table, goes all in, then AK is a poor hand as the villains likely hold A's and K's so AK is less likely to hit.

But what I can't decide is exactly how many all ins pre flop make AK a fold. What do you think ?
AK is a drawing hand...it needs help.

By the time you get the third shove...you can be sure they're pocket pairs, AA,KK QQ,88 etc.

I would never go all in with AK if there were 3 others that had shipped.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In poker, it often doesn't matter what card is in your hand, if everyone goes all-in, you can win with a pair of deuces in your hand.:)

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I almost never fold A K, IT's A GOOD HAND that hits the flop, if I'm not mistaken, in 30% of cases, that is, all sorts of draws, a pair, two pairs appear

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In poker, it often doesn't matter what card is in your hand, if everyone goes all-in, you can win with a pair of deuces in your hand.:)
If you enter a multiway pot with 22....chances are you are going to win less than 1 in 10 hands.

Not a profitable play

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All allins are not created equally. ;)

It depends more on the action than the total number of allins, but I would be tempted to fold if there was a ton of action and I'd be KOd if I lost.

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
All allins are not created equally. ;)

It depends more on the action than the total number of allins, but I would be tempted to fold if there was a ton of action and I'd be KOd if I lost.

Doesn't really though, does it?

If 5 or 6 players are all in and you have AK....your equity falls below 5%

ghitocarcia

ghitocarcia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
It's difficult to retire with that hand, but almost 95 percent of the time I end up with the chips I have as long as it's 1 against 1, that's at low limits, but I've seen that good players know how to retire at high limits when they put the fourth.

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's difficult to retire with that hand, but almost 95 percent of the time I end up with the chips I have as long as it's 1 against 1, that's at low limits, but I've seen that good players know how to retire at high limits when they put the fourth.

If there are already 3 or more shoves ahead of you and you hold AK...it's very easy to muck it.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Well... in my personal case I don't get obsessed with going all-in every time I have AK in hand... I only do it if the conditions are right from my strategy...

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Doesn't really though, does it?

If 5 or 6 players are all in and you have AK....your equity falls below 5%
First, what tournament is that when 5,6 players go all in? Probably a small buy in, and is this case for have 2 options.
First: if is a bounty mtt, i just close my eyes and make the call.
Second: if don't is a bounty tournament, see the blinds, and who have the most chips in this absurd hand, if you have can win against some player with good stake, maybe do a call. Obvious, this is a RNG situation, with alot of another things to check...

JOAOSEVERINO11

JOAOSEVERINO11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips

I think that AK would only fold pre flop if it's Final table, and there are players with stakes lower than mine, due to the ICM/Payment jump, it also depends on the field and how the action reached me.

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You're right. Generally speaking I'd fold that spot instantly (assuming the stack sizes were relevant). :)

Yes, but you've played with this group longer than I have, and know the regs that shove any ace.

So, there you were isolating UTG from MP (who you know only shoves with pocket pairs)
Only to be frustrated by the LJ, Btn, and both the blinds totally ignoring your 3-bet, and shoving behind you.

Saying bye bye to AK without seeing a flop always hurts... especially so when the showdown is 77,44, A6o, J4c and K3d

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
First, what tournament is that when 5,6 players go all in? Probably a small buy in, and is this case for have 2 options.
First: if is a bounty mtt, i just close my eyes and make the call.
Second: if don't is a bounty tournament, see the blinds, and who have the most chips in this absurd hand, if you have can win against some player with good stake, maybe do a call. Obvious, this is a RNG situation, with alot of another things to check...

It's only worth gambling if suited...it's generally crushed most of the time multiway.

I had thought this was everyone's experience?

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
against AA and KK you are a at a huge disadvantage of course

against any pocket pair below KK you are a small dog ...around 58 - 42 . almost 50 50 . when your AK is suited then it is closer at around 55 - 45 so you are still a small dog but almost coinflip

and any other hand especially AQ , AJ etc. you dominate

and suited connectors like 8-7s are better against AK than hands like AQ , AJ is of course . but you also dominate them preflop

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This depends, if its the double or nothing format AK would be horrible to get it in with multiple players, but if its a winner take all format the AK would be fine. To answer this you need to look at the ICM of the specific hand.

Leomil

Leomil

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends of the situation, of course. I dont know accurately the tecnician stuff, but going all in with AK on early tournament pre flop with 500 BBs its definitively not a good choice, mainly folding for sure. On the other hand, AK late tournament with 15 BBs would always be shove, regardless of the table pre flop, you see? As for cash games, it depends of the players you are with

Academico

Academico

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It depends on the moment of the tournament and the reading I do of the opponents I'm facing, it also depends if it's a tournament with or without a bounty, if it's with a bounty I may do it more frequently.

wolfik1950

wolfik1950

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in my opinion, the rank of the tournament you participate in is important,,,in serious tournaments, no one with A or K in hand will go all-in

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If everyone goes all-in, then 72 will have almost as much equity as AK. When I heard about it, I didn't believe it at first.:)

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only go all-in with AK in the opening hand if I'm drunk. :ROFLMAO:

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
With AK, you can only go all-in against a player with a small stack or if you have a small stack.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is a big liar. This hand can knock out opponents. AK looks good preflop.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands