How long did you take to profit with poker?

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
i never play my money
i play what ever i win in freerolls
not expecting too much but still playing for the love of the game

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I started wining some money in the end of the first month playing, only freerolls and bonus from deposits, but I watched a lot of lessons at YouTube and here at Cards chat.
The community here helps a lot.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I’m playing over a year and I’m not there yet. No profits but no loss.
What is your story?
If you have only been playing a year and breaking even your doing well. How long till profits start is hard to say. If your seriously studying the game and really working hard at it and reviewing your play it could happen sooner than later. There is really no time frame but you must remember poker is a long term game. For me I was a losing player for a few years. Once I took my study seriously I started to see improvement quickly and finally started to win.

One thing you should remember, Even if your a winning player you will have loosing years. I cant remember who the pro was who said this but if you win 2 years out of 3 your doing well. Also the winning years are usually good but the loosing years are not as bad. so you may win 50K each year your up but your loosing year may only be 10K down.

Best of luck to you.

Murasaki

Murasaki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Pretty much how it went for me with playing blackjack, several loss sessions until I eventually make a profit. I'm not playing with huge amounts of money at least, on new year's day I did had some great cash table sessions to generate profit, but ending up losing said profit from bad hand losses at higher stakes. But hey, I know the longer I keep playing this game, the more I can improve and make better judgements that could hopefully lead to making profits in the future.

On a side note, I have won a couple of tournaments, one free to play and one that was exclusive for newcomers on one of the sites I play poker on.

Rockyfour

Rockyfour

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started winning at Poker almost immediately after I started playing, however my strategy has vastly shifted dramatically from exploiting timing tells and going with my gut feeling of the situation, to constructing a solid strategy inline with basic Poker Theory.

However I will say, at the time I grinded up $550 at PLO5, and ended up losing it all at PLO25. I remember realizing that some of the people at that stake were smart enough to balance their timing tells and my weak preflop range and understanding of the game caused me to lose all of my profits and back in the hole a bit.

888NOX888

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After about 1-1.5 years, I had a small profit from poker, but mainly thanks to freerolls. Playing tournaments for money, I go to zero at best.

gena31

gena31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Live and learn forever. Study, analyze and eventually you will achieve your goals and remember there are never easy ways...

Mihail Grinvich

Mihail Grinvich

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It is possible to make money in poker, but you need to know when to stop. Discipline is the main thing. Regarding my earnings. I earned a little — 107 dollars in two months. I play S&G at the lowest stakes.

W

WellAA

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What is your story?
Hi, well ok about 1 year and tied, playing just freerolls? at least not losing.
About 3 years ago I went about 6 months winning about 10K/month, playing present poker not online, online I was tied like You are today.
And people when I did bet just fold, then all of a sudden, I got about 3 months every big hand I went I lose, like get street on the flop, lose to full-house on the river, Trips Queens on the flop, lose to 4 of a kind on the river, and go on. Then after those long years, I'm getting positive at present poker. But online for me is too hard, I'm a little positive and strictly being on budget, respecting the set BR limits.
I would recommend You set Your BR limits too, and respect it as rule. :unsure:Master your field and don't mix cash games with tournaments, they are very different kind of poker. Take as many training as You can, and keep going on this wonderful community here;)

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's a good question. Unfortunatly I can't tell you, I was playing for fun (with the occaisional money game at home) for many many years before I start thinking aobut playing properly and then making a note of costs and winnings. I've made a msall profit for the last 5 years is all I can tell you.

heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Right from the start. First year was my best and second year lost it all. Something like that. I was already played No limit holdem a lot before online possibility, so i think i had some kind of edge.. i dont know. That happend 10+ years ago. After that, after put time and effort to undestand game better, and i think i do, i never had same kind of success. But not playing nearly that much nowdays. :)

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What is your story?
The main thing is that there are no losses. If there are no losses, then over time you will start to make a profit. I have been playing poker for more than 5 years and for the last two years I have been making regular profits. It's a small amount of money, but in any case it's a profit.

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I only play freerolls.
Once I played for money, but then I stopped doing it.
In poker, all your opponents want to make money, but only a few are destined to do so.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What is your story?
As I only play freerolls, I could say that I made a good profit all these years that I've been playing, of course it wasn't astronomical, but for those who didn't invest anything, it's good.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What is your story?
Profit continues, 2 years later.

Tip:

Find out why you're not making money.

What is your problem.

Knowing this, it's easier to adjust and start profiting.

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
It took basically the same time to make a profit, because it took me a year to get to know the game well and find my place to play, the Freerolls helped me a lot to keep my money safe.

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I play infrequently, I won about $1000 in a year

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think it will be difficult for you to earn a large amount in the first 2 years after it depends on you if you have learned to play for 2 years and know how to manage your bankroll, then in any case you will have to win tournaments and go plus how much will depend on how you play

idhemmy

idhemmy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
In general, the time it takes to become profitable in poker can vary widely depending on a player's starting skill level, the amount of time and effort they dedicate to improving their game, and their ability to manage risk and variance.

JappsPK

JappsPK

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
i never play my money
i play what ever i win in freerolls
not expecting too much but still playing for the love of the game
Very nice thinking.

But sometimes depositing a little money doesnt make you poor.

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
15 years .....................and counting

A

arshuns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I've been playing for 10 years now. The most I've ever won was $46 in the tournament. So not everyone is destined to win a million.:):):)