How Long Can Bad Runs Last..

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In that case probably is a bad player and not just a bad run. I had bad runs that last 2-3 months and this usually in one room each time, so, when start to last longer than that I start to think that maybe I'm playing bad.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The problem I see is it's not just time of how much you lose.

Several years ago, I had my worse downturn. 10 months of losing and watching my roll shrink. Now I did figure out the issues and it was in my play, and I fixed it and finally started doing better. Now some will say 11+ months is a way to long of downturn. Losing money in 10 of the 11. Yes, that's bad. Now at that time I dd not play as much poker. That year I plated 133 tournaments. That is a really small sample size to be honest. Depending on what way you look at it it was really bad to not so bad. Worse still the 1 month I did well I did really well. It really affected my ROI that was up for the year. I won a satellite ticket and went to 3rd in the event. That one event actually gave me a positive ROI for the year, and I mean really positive. Taking that one event out made me not just a losing player but a big time losing ROI.

now going to the 1st post it was said A guy lost 3 million. OK that's alot but if he was playing 100K events that's only 30 Buy ins. This would not make a winning player a ban on necessarily but in a downturn. Lets look at Danial Negreanu. Look at his last 2 wsop years. He lost more than many make in a lifetime. Was it a bad player or downturn? The amount is high but look at the variety of games but ins he played? He could win a bracelet in the coleuses but still lost over 1/2 million in the series.

When i come to downturns we need to remember poker is a long term game. Going a year and not winning is very possible. Have a great year and winning with a ROI of 100+ does not mean you're a real winning player. Its more about the volume and over time played that matters.

andron205

andron205

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Everyone has them and that's okay

andron205

andron205

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It's best to learn how to quickly forget about losses

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
can lost forever but keep going if u have nothing better to do

E

Easylu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
How long I don't know, but you have to know how to take that time, you have to be able to overcome it because as we know it is a bad time but from which we can learn a lot and many strategies that we can put into practice. Once this time passes, you will see that if you took advantage and improved, then that bad streak will return but it will be temporary.

W

watermark

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
We are not bad players, sometimes we let ourselves be carried away by emotions, despair and lack of concentration, recovering from a very bad streak sometimes costs us a lot, we just have to sit down, think and analyze ourselves.

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Many pros will claim that bad runs, should only last a few weeks or months and if a player is losing continously for 6-12 months or longer , then it is the player and not a bad run. Im curious as to what others on this site, feel about that type of claim .

We can also apply the reverse logic and ask :

If a poker player wins good money { average salary of a middle class working job } for 2-3-4 years in a row, does that mean they are a good/great player, or is it possible to see a bad player go on a good luck winning streak that last that long ?

Would we all agree that at a typical home poker game , where you have 10 players { no pros } and the buy in is a minimum of $100 , that on average you will have { over the long run of 1 year or more } :

2 main big winners , 2 that win a little or break about even , 6 losers ?
Yes that sounds about right from my own experience (home game wise).

P

Peteski84

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have had bad stints that have lasted weeks, that is when i go out early and every hand i get seems to fail to things that shouldn't have even called in the 1st place.
When my AAs, KKs in hand get destroyed by the likes of 8,2 off suit or similar.
When my winning hands keep on getting beat on last card.
When it keeps showing me that i would have won with cards that you would never even dream of playing.
It feels unfair. 😢

ShaDoWGuarD

ShaDoWGuarD

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I saw that some players had negative sessions for about 8 months. I can't say for sure about myself. I've been playing in the red for about 3 months at the moment. This is the first time I've been unlucky enough to play poker for so long, maybe a month at the most.