How Long Can Bad Runs Last..

SlimHeperpokerstars

SlimHeperpokerstars

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
before it is probable that it isnt a bad run, but just a bad poker player ?

I ask this question because it seems everyone has a different opinion.

For example, lets say a poker player runs bad for 12 months and loses 3 million dollars in that time period. Would you say that is more of a bad player or a really bad long streak ?

Many good players start earning only after a few years of training and practice. Someone needs years to succeed, some months) It depends not only on the player's mental abilities but also on his diligence and perseverance. It's hard to say unequivocally, everything is relative here!

Senneville

Senneville

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know what! I play in a fiday league and I' m first. How many player do you think is in bad shape? I play the game the cards and the players. If you have a bad run ask you why I dont call here or why I dont raise in thats spot. Maybe your bad mode will disapear instantly. Be positif and trust your hand you calling with the guy who bet in first position. Dont call in a bet call call call call call situation. Raise and reraise in position. Your game will be more effectif. ��

vitorbonatto

vitorbonatto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do you guys think is ok to lower buy ins if you think that you are in "bad run" even if yours bankroll alove you more lossing sessions?

i think this is ok, but mathematically you're only fooling yourself haha :D

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

For example, lets say a poker player runs bad for 12 months and loses 3 million dollars in that time period. Would you say that is more of a bad player or a really bad long streak ?

Down streak is a very tough thing and even pro players have this black line but they can solve this problem and play more successfully.I think to beat down streak we just need to make a pause and do a work with our mistakes!

M

matenq

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they can be any length.

I think there just helps a longer break and do not think of poker.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Had some that seem to last forever. They do go away and can wear on your psyche. If you had success before the down cycle, don't change what you have been doing. Even the best players out there experience this down trend.

B

bigjay2007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad runs seem to come and go but when they are bad, they are bad. I've played out various hands that I was beaten with the best hand on the river in recent days. I think I played well, but have nothing to show for it. Thats why i play small games for the enjoyment of the game. Then I don't have the financial worries that accompany a bad run.

Lerts

Lerts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
from as short as a day to as long as a couple months. It varys depending on the players luck i guess

M

matiascecci1990

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its depend! if you have a bad day you should be go out, and refresh mind

S

SuperClaretsBFC

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like I'm on some "list" though with the amount of bad beats

kddy

kddy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sincerely believe that more than 3 months have been in a bad patch, it would seem that one complains about "luck" in poker but the bad spells exist

J

Josefina2402

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that bad runs can last long but also it depend on the situation or better said the game mode cause I've seen cash games regular players can have 3 or 4 months or a bad run but I'm the kind of player that has moré to do with skill or a leak on your game that's making you to lose money of courseit could be a little of both or bad run causing tila and bad play without us notice... Instead a MTT player could spend e en a Heard without winning a MTT but whenit finally hits could be a changer on your moth winnings even year winnings but I think bad runs that las moré than 2 months is fue to skill strategy failing or tilt

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The latest studies on the issue, prove that this luck capital does not exist. we are all equal to poker in the long run. The problem is that players only care about the short term.

Poker can be cruel, because you can play the best way and lose your tournament . While other players will play the worst way and win the tournament. It's poker!

However, to answer your question. if you manage your bankroll well, know that these bad series will have no influence on your profitability in the long run.

S

SantasPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've had weeks where I'll run like a god in small-medium stake tournaments... get full of myself and risk a large portion of my bankroll trying to step up the stakes and just get smacked everytime... one might say its my skill level... but for me it a toss up between that an just random variance catching up 2 me. lol Sometimes just need a break to clear your head and not dwell in a losing streak... Tilt is a real thing, don't let the tilt control your decisions.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you are a losing player over 114,000 hands then you are not a winner. Takes about 3.5 to 6 months. Also how many BB did that 3 m consist of?

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If I had 3 million dollars to spend, I can tell you one thing with absolute certainty. I wouldn't be throwing it away at poker.

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let's see we are going on 25 years currently. I'll let you know when it ends....

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Played well, bad runs end early. Played poorly, they can last indefinitely.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I run bad mostly. Guess there are a heck of a lot more bad hands that you and I will get dealt than there are good ones. If that makes your patience go away than you're done. You might get it in good and still lose or you might get it in bad and draw your card. Poker is a game that is unpredictable. You have to learn to roll with the punches.

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello my friend, I believe there is no right period for these things to happen, they can be in a short period of time or in a huge one, for example a year or more ... I've seen a case of a professional player that he was without results over a year and not even that made him a bad player, he kept playing and studying and the results soon began to return, and one after the other ...

H

have

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

3 so far. but looking for that cloud with the silver lining
:D

T

thaliko86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that both possibilities exist. There are good players who sometimes break up with a down swing and to deal with it find different ways, and there are those who sink more and more by not realizing that there is something wrong in the way they are playing. By the randomness of the cards I believe that every player (regardless of the limit he plays) will eventually encounter bad runs and it is at that moment where the self-critical ability will determine the player to know if it is just a "bad phase", or if you need to adjust something in the way you play. It is also essential to have a good mindset, because I believe that the good player knows the time to play, to stop, to advance ... Good players have a great reading of their opponents, but a better reading still about themselves!

P

PokerDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For cash:

I fight bad runs by getting tighter...only raising with the nuts as it were.

For tournaments:

As long as I feel I made the right decision, I don't worry about whether the money went up or down...