How to keep bad habits from affecting your game?

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Smokers know that a cigarette perfectly relieves stress. Perhaps players who quit Smoking will no longer be able to hide their emotions with cigarettes, and emotions are very influential in decision-making. There are two tips: 1) stop playing poker for a while until you completely lose the physical need for nicotine (about one month); 2) if you do not want to stop playing poker, try to take the same breaks during tournaments as during Smoking. Get out into the fresh air. From these walks you will get the same effect as from Smoking.

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This post is very inspirational in terms of being able to kick the bad habit of smoking.
I enjoy smoking but know full well its not a habit that has many if any positives.
Congratulations for those that are trying or have succeeded quitting smoking.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, I have bad habits. I have been smoking for over 25 years. And without a doubt, it has negative consequences for me and badly affects my game.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have never smoked but sometimes I drink alcohol. It is obvious that smoking is harmful and every player should get rid of this habit.

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I quit smoking and this was reflected in my game, the bitterness of which anger notes did not exist before, I will be glad to any advice.

I think any bad habit reflected in the poker game but your skill and luck to play.

rfbh54

rfbh54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For example, during a game I often get rid of them during such bad habits as anger, shivering, aggression, I have to deal with this.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do not play poker under heavy intoxication or under other alcoholic and illegal drugs, it is better to think with a sober head in the game and make the right decisions and focus on the game!

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I still smoke and after a badbeat I relax lol but there are so many bad habits that take away the concentration in the game depending on how comfortable you feel it could be listening to music while playing some like others not because they do not concentrate

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Meditation, chewing gum, drink a soda. Also, try to get a fidget device for your hands to keep busy or shuffle chips to keep you mind busy.

Dimanis

Dimanis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I smoke during the break. Sometimes I play with beer. But when no way, why not go all the way past the bluff fails, you start to get nervous. Or Vice versa, first the card is rushing, you type a good stack, you play carefully and your AA, KK moves begin. You start spitting and swearing. :ciao:

G

ggteam2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I quit smoking and this was reflected in my game, the bitterness of which anger notes did not exist before, I will be glad to any advice.
I'm trying to quit right now, I did it thousand times before and now it is a new lapse :(

SSorin18

SSorin18

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best decision would be to REPLACE smoking..maybe you should start doing more sport,as a real hobby..

F

Fader

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not in a good way. I could finally get rid of the smoking habit thanks to trying to vape. Got tired of snus too, CBD gummies are much better, usually, I just buy it online, https://vapingdaily.com/ got pretty good deals. It's the best on days when I don't vape.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I had a similar issue when I first gave up smoking 6 years ago. Understanding the habit loop made it much easier for me to get through it. What I learned was that even when you cut out the bad habit, there is an unmet need which the trigger brings on, until we replace that unmet need with something (in my case 3 deep breaths or a glass or water) we will feel irritated.

This is the book that helped me understand habit loops, addiction, and recover quite well

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Habit-What-Life-Business/dp/081298160X

Best tips I have for keeping calm are a mix of the following
1) Slow, calm, deep breathing
2) Writing/Journalling
3) Exercise/Stretching
4) Talking to a friend (or even to yourself!)

All these outlets allow you to express emotions and move them thru which will make those unwanted feelings pass thru.

Hope that helps!

S

Szachajevy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the only thing what works for me when I want to break bad habit is to replace it with not so bad habit :D like quit smoking - start eating a lot. Dont really know which is worse :D eating even calms me down while Im playing :D

nurjemal

nurjemal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
almost all poker players have the same problems and I think the habit can be changed

Top 10 Games