How I played Texas Hold'em with my family growing up.

Murasaki

Murasaki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
So when I got into poker, I didn't knew about the variations of the game, I just thought texas hold'em was the only game that was called poker. Anyway, onto the game itself, whenever we played, we did no betting pre flop after the cards were deal, we just simply put in an Ante and then go into the flop, turn and river with regular betting phases as usual. But when it came to the winning hand, we didn't simply just stick to the best 5 cards in a hand, we factored other things, such as having a pair with your straight or the best kicker was only from the player's hand if both had the same pair.

We don't do that anymore nowadays and just stick with the best 5 cards, but when someone was short on chips, or if we want to finish the game in general, our version of a blind is simply matching the short stack and then we're dealt cards but don't look at them. Then when the flop came up, we turn one card, deal the turn and river cards and then flip over the last card to see who's won.

Quite unusual how my family plays texas hold'em, but I also question if this is why I have some problems in my game also as a result, for example, when it comes to 2 pair, we used to ignore any pair that was on the table. Also no pre flop betting also could be a big hindrance to my game since it's a position I haven't practiced before and just learned from playing online poker more or less. Plus it probably made it easier for those like my dad to bluff having a good hand.

So what about you guys, if anyone played with family, did you alter rules of the game? Also what poker game did you play the most?

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I got into Hold'em from my oldest son. He enjoyed watching TV shows and that transition to kitchen table play. Got me hooked to look at online play. About 20 years and we both play live tournaments together.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
My Grandfather used to play 5 card draw.... he didn't make any new rules but oddly enough I never won a hand even when I did win a hand somehow he decided he won but he was tough as nails so I don't blame him lol, used to play Gin blackjack, Hearts and Spades with my friends, then discovered online poker and that's when I started playing Holdem which is not my fave, prefer Pl08, Stud8, Badugi, HORSE etc.(y)