How to handle someone saying that poker is "just luck"

ChipEaterMan

ChipEaterMan

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If your were playing HyperTurbos your workmate was right. You don't have much control there. You just go allin and may Lady Luck help you.

B

bernotas22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your were playing HyperTurbos your workmate was right. You don't have much control there. You just go allin and may Lady Luck help you.

not true at all hyper turbos have skill in the long term like any other game just the variance is higher

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not true at all hyper turbos have skill in the long term like any other game just the variance is higher

+1, same with heads up SnG in my opinion. There is a ton of variance but in the long run the better player should end up on top

B

boo123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
luck

online poker is a lot of luck was holding a k in back to back hands got beat out by two flushes the guy called 0n 2 7 and 3 9.less skill on online poker more skill in live poker no doubt.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Online poker is a lot of luck was holding a k in back to back hands got beat out by two flushes the guy called 0n 2 7 and 3 9.less skill on online poker more skill in live poker no doubt.

That is not true at all..

If you lost with KK maybe you didn't play it right or maybe you just got unlucky... Just because it happened online doesn't mean it wouldn't happen live..

dudemanstan

dudemanstan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm beginning to think that online poker is majority luck, as for live games where u can physical read an opponent's body language etc, not so much
Would you like to play me HU online? :)

S

sleepymike

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If that is the case one should move down a level if you play against the same skill level as you there is no edge there.

Game selection is very important play in till you're crushing the lower level and move up the ladder slowly and patiently following good BRM
Makes sense, thank you.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On a short distance of the tournament poker is 90% luck and 10% skill and the long is 90% skill and 10% luck.
In poker, a good knowledge of the importance of the game and own control.

aa88wildbill

aa88wildbill

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The decision in U.S. v. DiCristina was overturned on appeal last August.

There is certainly a large element of luck in poker. If you don't accept this, then you are in denial. Many of today's top professional poker players refer to themselves as professional gamblers. I don't really think that it is something to be ashamed of. What counts is whether you are winning more than you are losing.

No they don't consider themselves professional gamblers, they consider themselves professional poker players!

PLAYINBIG

PLAYINBIG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is skill with luck added.With no luck the word," DONK" would not exist.

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is not only luck and we all know this. But imagine a situation when u played a MTT event and you play good poker, winning a lot of hands only because of your skill. But I think when the blinds get too big that we actually should see some flips and after playing well there is a moment when we just had KK and some lucky guy calling with AQ suited all in action before flop and this decent guy catch his A on flop and after 6 hours of skillful poker we are just out with nothing more than zero dollars and 1 bad beat.... So if we are not lucky in the most essential hands we are nothing with or without our skill cuz just one bad beat can get us out from 5 hours battle...

B

bernotas22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is not only luck and we all know this. But imagine a situation when u played a MTT event and you play good poker, winning a lot of hands only because of your skill. But I think when the blinds get too big that we actually should see some flips and after playing well there is a moment when we just had KK and some lucky guy calling with AQ suited all in action before flop and this decent guy catch his A on flop and after 6 hours of skillful poker we are just out with nothing more than zero dollars and 1 bad beat.... So if we are not lucky in the most essential hands we are nothing with or without our skill cuz just one bad beat can get us out from 5 hours battle...

your being short term results oriented, putting it in with KK>AQ is a great play! Playing enough tourney's when you play with the stronger cards by showdown will mean you will win more than you lose, If you can't handle bad beats and just want to gamble go play on the slot machine or go buy some scratch tickets and go have fun

mapt02h

mapt02h

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hm, yeah...

And times when you have Q2o on AT2 flop, facing a pot sized bet and you tank shove, giving him 2:1 and he still folds, saying "hope your family dies". This still luck? Well, my family didn't die yet so I'm guessing I'm lucky there :D

B

bernotas22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
zagruska spamming is not tolerated here at CC

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a form of gambling where you can improve the odds in your favor by being more skilled than your opponents.

^^ Don't overlook this post.
and also consider professional sports betting as a form of gambling where the odds are improved by using skills, research, knowledge and probably some mathematics.

Gambling does not mean solely luck or preclude the use of skill.

Plus in many skilled sports there is also an element of luck.

Fahrenheit451

Fahrenheit451

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when you loose - your opponent is just lucky, when you win - it's skill ;)

I

IvanShovski

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No they don't consider themselves professional gamblers, they consider themselves professional poker players!
I said that they referred to themselves as professional gamblers.

I was thinking of interviews given by players such as Doyle Brunson (the Godfather of Poker) and Phil Ivey (considered by many to be the best poker player in the world).

N

NewbieOfPoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
with today's lucky players, poker is only luck in online
but in live events it's very good

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands