How do you study poker?

CforChampion

CforChampion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to look around for a book or two today :) I watch YouTube a lot also.

G

globetrott3r

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watch youtube videos, read a couple of books, pokerstars begginer info..I would say about 40%, the rest is playing.
My next goal is to analyse the hands of one of my games each day.

C

Cazador twd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
usually read guides and videos on youtube time varies depending on what you want to address

charlesdenis

charlesdenis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pokerstars has a school. If you have an account with pokerstars you can open another with the same username at pokerschoolonline. in there you have some organized stuff for any beginner to study. some videos as well.

yes, really is very good the school of pokerstar, I participate and always go to have a look and participate in the quizzes and promotions, I also recommend !!

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Internet and video. But the main thing to me seems to be practice. Play more.

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Learn poker as read, reread material. One type refresh. I am watching a video. Analyze errors also the right moves. Practice!

Last edited:
NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I study by reviewing interesting spots from my own hand histories on Poker Tracker. I will watch some YouTube series here and there. Twitch Poker is mainly entertainment for me. When I study its usually if I quit playing early or take a day off from playing and only a couple hours max.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Strategy articles on this site are great for study no your maths inside out

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do not sit down for the first one, reconsider several tables to find one.

Do not play with strong players, look for players to weaken themselves. At the tables there must be at least 1-2 players, whose weak spots you can see.

Do not sit at a table in front of a player with a large stack, usually he will act after you, and a larger stack gives him a lot of looseness, and he will not be afraid of you. You will see that very often the place is released just before such players, you know? Even worse, if there are a lot of big stacks at the table (they won them including those who freed you, you do not want to be the next). Look for a comfortable game for yourself, do not be lazy to get up and leave, usually if the table is bad for you, it's better it will not.

Do not play if the player after you is too aggressive and often you rearrange, forcing to make unpleasant decisions (the level of pre-flop aggression will show you the program).

Make notes on players (notes), probably will still play with them, notice their weaknesses, the manner of the game, what it is capable of and with which cards.

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watch vídeos and i'm reading a book about poker i hope to succeed.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I do not use any book or application. I just watch my game!

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Part of my study on poker are these four books (see attachment)

Attachments

• 20180212_155418[1].jpg
    20180212_155418[1].jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 9
imhighhommie

imhighhommie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I def like to watch streams - if I have a question about how a hand should be played run it by some friends

A

androidmike

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just getting back in to the game seriously

I just made a move to another state and I am in between jobs. I need to rebuild a bankroll responsibly with 2 kids in college. With the loss of a job and tuition that needed to be paid, I made a decision to use my roll to pay it. I am really trying to improve my game to get an edge . I watch a lot of poker hands breakdowns. I am also reading and listening to plenty of poker books. Theory of Poker is a given a great book to reread as your game progresses. The poker mindset is also great to remind you to keep your mental swings in check especially when taking a bad beat. just joined this sight as well so I can discuss hands and see others perspective on how they may have played a hand. As you will see, poker play is always evolving, and to get an edge or maintain, Studying is as important as grinding out sessions.

ssory83

ssory83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So friends, I've been playing pokerstars since 2008 and I've always learned from poker. So after each intensive course, at the end is a test that, if you pass it, you receive awards. I took them all. :)