How do you keep playing poker after so many loses?

M

martina pinto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there are times when you have to learn to live with the taste of the sweet because the bitter is harder to get rid of the bean .. we always say that we are not going to play anymore .. and it is true the next day we are reviewing the lobby to see what's up ... I think we'll have to adapt to the new poker ... the variance.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are building blocks to be a profitable player that many have no interest in putting the work into. Some of the most productive learning time is done away from the table. That is where many are turned off. Going through hand history with a program can be a boring process, but should be done to figure out weakness and strengths.

You see so many post about how this hand got beat. Over and over threads, without even evaluating what was played with a commutative result. Playing within BRM, putting time in away from the table, and understanding the area you need to improve on, are aspects not everyone is willing to do. You should see improving results with the time you put in.

Last edited:
henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
every hour spend playing is experience, so much more u play better u become. Just try to choose better each tournament u join, based on the level of your game

dzemer

dzemer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im playing online poker since 2004. In this time i lost more than i won. And ? Still playing, because i love poker and there is a small % of chance that someday, somehow i will win something big :D And than will be only... chillout, chillout, chillout :D

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I discover 3 things that makes me improve my results on poker:
Absent
Workout
Meditation

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are a couple things that really help me to continue to play my best while in the midst of a downswing.

The first is really understanding how unlucky this stretch actually is while stepping away from my emotions. When there were enough games for me to 40+ table, I’d often play around 150-200 MTTs and MTTSNGs in a single day, and being down in a day wasn’t even what I would call a downswing, just a not great day of poker haha. It varies a lot by game type especially but the important thing to keep in mind is that we tend to think of results as being more significant than they actually are in the short term. There are variance calculators that can help with this.

For example, I didn’t feel like I was in a downswing until I was breakeven or losing for a thousand games or more. “Lol sample size” has become a cliche in poker because people have a tendency to radically overstate what actually constitutes a statistically significant sample size.

More importantly than my first tip of being aware of normal variance, is studying a lot when in a downswing. This is because it is certainly possible that my break-even stretch is because I’ve developed a leak, so I study at least twice as hard as normal. I start with rigorous reviews of my own games and then also like to create pop quizzes for myself using preflop range calculator software. I watch videos relevant to what I’m not feeling as confident on lately.

All that being said I’ve actually improved more as a poker player due to the downswings I’ve had versus the upswings, which is funny in a way. So if you take the time to become a much better player because of them, downswings can actually be quite profitable for you in the long run! [emoji4] Hope this helps someone else as much as it has helped me over the years!

bonekeeper

bonekeeper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes you don't continue playing.

For instance, every now and then you have a downswing (Unless you have some real magic powers). Nah but for real, everyone have downswings. you have variance, bad plays, and yeah literally alot of stuff that could go the wrong way. And my personal opinion is you set a maximum loss limit. If it goes under that, then it's time to stop. Take a break a few weeks, do something that makes you happpy, and when things start to go your way, then not only will you play better but then you can also set new goals and try to achieve them instead! Either way, my pooint is, if it goes to bad i would just stop playing.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I was not in love with this game, I would have stopped it very long because of all my losses. I managed to advance my game which made me go on fighting. do not send it all off. i look at my favorite poker youtuber every day. his playing, his course and his advice allowed me to be more motivated and more confident in my abilities. it is necessary to set a goal and continue to train if you want to become a regular player in poker. Sooner or later luck will eventually turn.

steveeeee

steveeeee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
about 5 or 6 years ago pokerstars did a sunday millions promotion where everyone won a ticket to play. I lasted 30 minutes and I was a total beginner who didn't really know much. Fast forward to yesterday I was in 3 different satalites for a chance to win an entry to the sunday millions take 2. I lost all 3.

You do win some and you do lose some but how do you keep playing poker after so many loses? Many hours are spent trying to win, only to find yourself losing and empty? How many times do we say today I'm never playing poker again only to find ourselves back the next day? Is the pull, of possibly winning at 0.01% odds, so great?
what sometimes irritates me is when ya play tight an you end up bubbling to a crap hand an you see it is a person who it happens to often an thats when you think of a rigged game

Rumengh

Rumengh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
If only play freerolls you can win and not to lose anything. I personally believe that this is the best strategy to build an initial bankroll and become good enough to play later paid tournaments or cash games. You must also have the desire to learn and improve your game (only playing for years without improvement is not enough these days). Finally it depends a lot on if you take the game as fun and hobby, so it does not matter if you win or lose, or want to make money from it.
I totally agree with you and your comments is great. Just to add play Freerolls improve all the time be prepared for bad beats and know that poker does not always pay.:):):):):):)

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
l also thought about this topic.I sometimes feel funny that spending 2-3 hours of time playing the game we enjoy receiving 60 cents.Then I realized that I just play for fun.And I'm just interested in winning.Most importantly what would your family do not suffer from your losses in the games.

jrgum25

jrgum25

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always look at poker as something I do for fun and as one of my hobbies so if I lose it isn't going to affect me in a negative way. I keep playing though because its something I truly enjoy doing so I will continue to do it as long as I'm able to.

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Switch up my play style a little where I think I am going wrong, if I keep losing

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i will never have enough of poker playing because it's a such a fun and entertainment even if i will be loosing very often but hey only winner of tournament can say i won.

O

onlynuts19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing poker is expensive pleasure for me, you can't plan when to win or lose, when you start playing there are same chances of winning or loosing, so poker depends also on experience but there must be also destinity on your side on that day, otherwise you would have 20 year experience but not destinity so you'll get lose.

soliddecor

soliddecor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ooo its a good question. The answer is - dont wory be happy:)

guineasqueak

guineasqueak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can look for inspiration to keep moving forward from many sources, but when the time comes that you feel like switching hobbies/careers from poker, you can only look inside yourself.

If you look deep enough, you will either find that essence or not and proceed by a different path.

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Right now the poker is much more different, then it was just a few years ago and it,s harder to win. You need to keep patience and try to improve your game. Also you need to have some luck in poker, especially in online poker this is a very importan thing.

adriantempo

adriantempo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Statistics bro.

If in the long run you win, you play. You know what's ahead of you.

J

jenia stars

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
when I play poker, I try to think what cards the opponent is playing, what cards he has, how he plays, how to win, how to scare, how to bluff, how to play to win, you just need to think how to play the hand, the cards are not the main thing they come and they can be easily thrown out when things go wrong.

ANATOLII1981

ANATOLII1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOSES IN POKER

Poker does not have to play three tournaments, but three hundred, three thousand. Then, as they say, professionals, the distance should show everything. Are you a good player playing a huge variety of tournaments plus. Or a minus player who constantly and confidently lowers his bankroll. Of course, it is very unpleasant and knocks out the game for a long time. While you do not come to your senses and with a new force, you start to play again more professionally and patiently. I wish you to extract equal conclusions from your losses and play more better. Begin to win !!!!! GOOD LUCK !!!:2in1::2in1::2in1::2in1:

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's hard. But the love of poker brings us back to the game again...and again.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I keep playing just because, for me, poker is the best game in the earth. Ok, despite I keep losing most of the times, is my prefered game anyway. To tell the truth, is the only game I play. Depending on the conjuncture, losing is not that bad; I take a break and back for more. That's it.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first of all I like the game and following the arguments win part of discipline and commitment some quickly find the way for the ease they have in mathematics and psychology so for me I face every defeat as a learning experience for my development and has in relation to winning ways I face as a result of the achievements of my effort

If all is do I lose and then I give up not worth living because I will give up almost everything in life to try

:jd4:mateuspoker