How to deal with emotions in Poker?

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To keep calm in the game, you need to play poker more often, with experience you will learn to control your emotions.

I

iulinika84

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the experience is the key of success :p

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Yesterday, I lost the entire stack with AA all-in, it was a shame, such a card rarely comes, then smiled, because it was a freeroll

VysotskGSV

VysotskGSV

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How to deal with emotions in Poker

All tips are welcome!

Examples (these are still easy actually):
1. Lose with AA all in against some gambler J7 or something.

2. Go all in AA vs KQ call preflop table K Q 7 6 J.. Lose half of your stack..

After this kind of situations some of us start doing nervous emotional moves and act emotionally..

So any tips how to stay calm and not act emotionally? All tips are welcome here guys.
When you realize that it is a critical situation , do not despair !!!!!. Try to analyze and count your outs . Narrow your range of hands , if you start to give your emotions the upper hand over you it will not lead to good

JopyJoost

JopyJoost

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why is it so difficult to keep calm??

I will tell you why.

It's difficult to keep calm because how can an apposing player get 3 running cards to make a flush and or straight after the flop and I get either my 2 pair or set on the turn or river and then they have the gall to tell you "the cards are dealt in a random fashion" but they forgot to add to that line, "to induce bidding".

There, I have said my piece. Do I feel better...no..but you just have to suck it up as a bad beat so they tell you.

This is all part of the love / hate relationship I have with online poker. I "love" my money and "hate" to lose it. The two reasons I have not used any of it for the past 10 + years of playing online poker. I just play the freerolls. I am just a recreational player but I still have this calming down problem....:mad::p;):eek::confused::confused::cool::eek::eek::cool::heeeellll

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you got the 1 million dollar question!! :)

i would have done the same move as you so no good advice there :)

just have patience and dont ever blow your budget

GL

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! You will laugh - when I'm nervous, I start to chew gum!
It calms me down!

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have long accepted that AA does not always win, and I treat it very calmly, and why get upset poker is just a game, do not bet that you can not afford!

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Emotions are part of the game. If you learn to control them, then rise to the next level.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always try to make the right decisions, regardless of what the result will be and therefore I can easily control my emotions.

C

capt red

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello

read a book called mental game of poker and it has helped me deal when on tilt.

M

Millie232

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Become less results oriented and understand that losing and folding hands is always going to be a part of poker. Long term, you’re always going to be making your 1 outers just as much as they are. I’d recommend reading “Zen and the Art of Poker” and “The Mental Game of Poker” if you need extra help with keeping your emotions out of the game.

gjwalk

gjwalk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All tips are welcome!

Examples (these are still easy actually):
1. Lose with AA all in against some gambler J7 or something.

2. Go all in AA vs KQ call preflop table K Q 7 6 J.. Lose half of your stack..

After this kind of situations some of us start doing nervous emotional moves and act emotionally..

So any tips how to stay calm and not act emotionally? All tips are welcome here guys.

There's no use getting yourself upset over certain hands. AA is the best starting hand but it's still going to lose once in awhile, calling an all-in is never wrong, you made the right move, and that's what counts in the long run. Sometimes it's best to treat the game like a video game, figure out your pot odds and just concentrate on beating the game.

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
everything comes with experience. experience comes with age. the more you play, the more patient you become in the game

G

GrannySmit77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is normal to be upset after a bad beat. Dealing with it, really depends on what works for you. Often poker means heartbreak and disappointment. I find the more bad beats you go through the better you get at dealing with it. Google the hand Matt Affleck versus Jonathan Duhamel: AA versus JJ, in the Main Event, where AA loses. Sometimes when I have a bad beat I tell myself: "This still doesn't come close to that. I'm lucky I wasn't in that guy's shoes."

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Brain and heart

Brain and hearts are two vital things of our being. Brain deals with logic and reasoning. Heart deals with feelings. Both are essential for our living.
Too much use of brain may produce a kind of dryness which will make poker a boring thing. On the other hand your feelings may provide lubrication to that dryness and you find lot of interest in the game.
The question is how to deal with emotions (particularly the negative emotions) in poker? One way of dealing is just forget about your heart and play only with brain. As i mentioned earlier brain and heart are two things we have. We can use anyone or both.

F

Frankie Potts

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A tip

I will give you a tip that helps me

I usually listen to sleepy music from 50s-60s. Even if I lost a decent part of my stack I still remain calm and chill

T

twoG1cup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i find that watching other players take a bad beat on Youtube calms me down.
you watch them walk it off professionally that is what you aspire to be.

D

Das4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Medication could help dealing with tilt or some longer brakes

N

nikstar86

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
прочитал книгу под названием mental game of poker, и это помогло мне справиться с наклоном.[/ЦИТАТА]

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I stopped paying attention to it. But if this is repeated several times in a session, I simply turn off the computer.

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe with time and experience we will all acquire that. but one thing ive learn and still dont here my self is, dont ever put all your money. you better raise, re raise than putting all your stack in risk. because there will always be the donkeys and the "who cares, its a freeroll" who will always get lucky. so my advice, dont know if it is a good one, will be that.

tazzmaster62

tazzmaster62

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I deff know the feeling it happens to me lots too.

things ussually change, but not all the time.

just watch a few hands go bye if your on a bad losing streak and not getting no where take a 5 to 10 min break / sit out / dont call /

S

smnks

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Put your day's strategy on paper and sometimes look before betting.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that to be resistant to variances in poker, you need experience in poker. After a few years of playing, I got used to the variance.