homegames are what poker is about imo.

not sitting infront of a screen for hours on end

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually stopped playing my home game because of this reason. We started playing for spare change initially after the Moneymaker boom. Moved to tourneys. Had leagues. Tourneys got bigger (like rent out a hall and have 60 players bigger). Moved away from tourneys to cash. Stakes went up (usually 1/2 occasionally 2/5).

Lots of friends lost a lot of $$s. It was nothing for a couple guys in particular to drop $1500 in a few hours. We'd hire local girls to deal for us for tips (low cut T's brought in bigger tips). I eventually felt bad when the same guy who dropped a grand to me on Saturday was calling to borrow $600 on Monday so his wife wouldn't find out how much he'd lost. Don't get me wrong I liked taking their $$s (we have multiple pieces of furniture that those games paid for) but it just wasn't worth the guilt anymore. They kept playing for at least a year after I stopped going until the main degen loser drained his 401k and stopped playing all together.

It was fun while it lasted and I have some stuff to show for it (in addition to the household stuff I still have enough chips to run a 50 man tourney and 2 additional cash game setups) but the guilt just wasn't worth it.

If you're just playing with friends, my advice is to keep the game small enough that no one has to lie about how much they lost the last time they played.

That sounds wicked fun!

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That sounds wicked fun!
Those games were crazy. They were $20 BI, $20 Unlimited Rebuys for 1 hour (3 blind levels), and $20 add on at the end of the 1st hour. Very common to have $5-6k total purse when it was all said and done. As people busted out they'd start playing cash games of varying buy-ins. Usually there would be at least 3 cash tables going after the tourney until 5 or 6 am (once went til 10am). We'd start the tourneys at 7pm and they were planned to be done by 1am.

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Those games were crazy. They were $20 BI, $20 Unlimited Rebuys for 1 hour (3 blind levels), and $20 add on at the end of the 1st hour. Very common to have $5-6k total purse when it was all said and done. As people busted out they'd start playing cash games of varying buy-ins. Usually there would be at least 3 cash tables going after the tourney until 5 or 6 am (once went til 10am). We'd start the tourneys at 7pm and they were planned to be done by 1am.

I really wanna play something like that in the future.

F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i've done pretty well in home games over the years

first it is important to understand the tourney structure b/c many home games are equal parts social & poker and social is great but it also reduces the number of hands played between blind increases making most home games very turbo-riffic

also most home games i've been in have a wide range of skill levels and playing styles, so you have to quickly learn what type of player each person is

another factor is that less experienced and less skilled players want to be in as many pots as they can be and that, of course, creates opportunities

finally, i find my strategy tends to run along the lines of splashing around a bit when the blinds are very low hoping to have a bad player make a big mistake

if that doesn't work, then i really tighten up and play TAG, but again always taking into account my opponent(s) ... very hard to bluff bad players before the river, they wanna see cards

if that doesn't work i fall back on my online FOLD/ALL-IN experience

and if that doesn't work, i crack a beer and play some cash poker with other players that have been knocked out [:)]

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Finally the last line made some sense :D Cash game is where it is at for homegames. Cash cash cash.

gmuballer111

gmuballer111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am usually just having consistent nights, only one night i started with 50 i left with 450 but mostly play tight. Most home games you are gonna see the typical fish that likes to call call call, so tight aggressive is my game play i use

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty rough night for me tonight.

Got it in pre with JJ and ran into QQ.

Then had AQ and flopped an A. I had position and kept calling.

River came K. He flipped KK.

I should have re-raised him all in on the flop.

O

opnd32

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yah pretty much turned into a no foldem game when they play now i just show up with a an 18 pack and see how fast i can drink it. Stopped playin with those guys now wasn't worth the hangover.

S

stg1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played with my boss and a load of his mates (who i'd never met before)... we cut the cards for dealer, I got it, very first hand, dealt myself AA... the looks i got could have killed...

I went on to lose, i was very inexpreienced at the time, I ended up leaving my job a few months later, and my boss kept my very nice poker set, he just kept saying he couldnt find it (i'd left it there because they hadnt finished when i left).

gmuballer111

gmuballer111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played with my boss and a load of his mates (who i'd never met before)... we cut the cards for dealer, I got it, very first hand, dealt myself AA... the looks i got could have killed...

I went on to lose, i was very inexpreienced at the time, I ended up leaving my job a few months later, and my boss kept my very nice poker set, he just kept saying he couldnt find it (i'd left it there because they hadnt finished when i left).

Well it sure looks like you got Jypeddddd, but make sure you are careful who you play with and what money you bring to the table.

5TR8 FLUSH

5TR8 FLUSH

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I've played home games with family, we get about 6 of us to play and everyone buys in for a dollar. I remember them not being to fun when I tried to play tight because everyone I played against were calling stations except one of my cousins. We would always end up heads up and probably won equal amount of times. I would like to play in cash games, but I don't know anyone who plays where I live. :D

MTTGOD57

MTTGOD57

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah i have played a few homes games with friends just playing 10/25 blinds. Nobody has lost more than they can afford from what i know. I am lucky enough to have a competitive group of friends i play with so we can all go about playing our A games and not getting put down for doing so. What do i think of home games? Go ahead and do them if you think it be fun but remember never bring any more than you can afford to lose.

quintass

quintass

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, beer and pizza are definetly a huge asset in a "home freindly" game. If you're playing with a group of unfamiliar die hard "Holdem" players, forget the beer, substitute soda!

xUnrated

xUnrated

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive been looking for a home game around where I live, no luck yet..

A

AkronMatt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Looking for home games in Dayton Ohio and found zip.

gmuballer111

gmuballer111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there i alwa7s something you gotta dig deep and look harder

CSuave

CSuave

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AkronMatt, also use the search feature here on CardsChat and just enter Ohio to see the many postings about poker in Ohio.

Leo 50

Leo 50

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play in a monthly tourney with friends, we keep track of wins, kills etc.
At the end of the year we have a championship game.

We call it the Drunk Guy Invitational (DGI)
Alcohol IS allowed :D

Also in my area we have a group of players listed on Meetup.com, a website similar to Craigslist in that they post groups of all kinds in your local area.
Check it out for your area, search under poker.

:cool:

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games