Home Game Question Please Help Thanks

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously the group you play with currently is fine with the "variety" games. I just wouldn't expect to find too many new players willing to join the gang.

K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, if you have 4/5/6 main games you play, you still may want to consider playing a HORSE style game. Each time it's someone's deal. maybe deal it all the way until it goes full circle to the next player. So it would be a ring+1 deal to get to the next player. I personally don't mind playing dealers choice, I just hate when you get a new game, new game, new game, new game... by the time you've played the 4th game, you've forgotten how to play the first two. With this other style, if you had 7 players, the same game would be played 7 times and THEN a new game would be played. This may give new players hope to learn the game since they can fold a hand or two and see action. Just a thought.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is not a group devoid of ability.

That may be the case, but it sounds like it is a group devoid of outside action.

If they want people other than the regulars to join their game, they're going to have to give up the crazy variations - doesn't get any simpler than that.

Mightn't hurt to keep in mind that:

- 9/10 players have probably never heard of Pineapple, let alone the versions you guys have come up with, and
- Working out a regular split pot makes normal people's heads hurt. Playing a high-low game multiplies that pain by ten.

K

kardmania

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lets turn the headache into a migraine. One of the players just got a new set of three tier 14 gram chips. These are awesome chips. The only problem is that the $.50 chips look damn similar to the $5 chips. Turn on that less stellar basement lighting and splitting pots gets to be as challenging as the game.

P

phisig6057

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you really have a social game and no limit in the same breath?

Is there added toxicity when you mix the homespun games and remove the limits?

Is this like taking moonshine on a hunting trip?

I don't think that NL takes the "fun" OUT OF IT. Basically as long as all players understand and agree to certain limits and no one is blowing thier rent money etc.. it can still be a very friendly game.
Personally, I prefer not to play in 'dealers choice' games, they often are not compatible with "good" poker play and it seems to throw off my game. I prefer to stick to what I know- stud, hold em and maybe occasional draw.

riverboatrat

riverboatrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer not to play in 'dealers choice' games, they often are not compatible with "good" poker play and it seems to throw off my game. I prefer to stick to what I know- stud, hold em and maybe occasional draw.

exactly my sentiments, its also why I stick purely to freezeouts and not rebuys.

a rebuy/addon tourney is a different animal, I call it kamikaze poker. for 90 minutes people play like incredible donkeys, then tighten up after the rebuy period and the entire dynamics changes, you cant apply the same strategy to freezeouts where you start tight and loosten up later.

play a few rebuy tourneys so it messes with your head then go play a freezeout and youre all over the place.

Dealer's choice / wild card poker has the same effect, may as well put it in the same class as kamikaze poker.

K

kardmania

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Update

We had enough players for this house game this weekend. I have asked for comments at a couple forums and couple final tables. I shared some of the key remarks with the players.

A few interesting remarks with merit were retorted
1) this is a social game
2) if we played nothing but holdem it would be boring (this is a 5 hour game)

The social game element would make on presume that winning and losing is a by product rather than the primary way of keeping score of success. Unfortunately, the perennial losers are also the players who are becoming less likely to show up. Sevaral players have been doing some reading to improve their games. Somehow this all does make sense.

Finally, one player admitted that some of these games were created to negate the advantages that other players possessed in the conventional games.

I must thank you all for the remarks and comments they have helped.

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games