Have You Ever Thought About Giving Up on Poker?

nachopaulo19

nachopaulo19

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you ever thought about giving up on poker because you keep losing? I believe that many times we are not focused enough to win. Poker is a strategic game, and if we play it in the long run, we will certainly succeed. Who has ever thought about quitting halfway through and stop playing?

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
I quit many times and always returned later one. To me poker is just one of those things I keep coming back to. Sometimes when I get bored with everything else, sometimes when friends mention and I just try playing again, sometimes I just wake up and feel like playing. Luckily it's just a hobby for me where I can come in, play a few games and then leave it again for a few weeks.

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I quit poker, but came back again. I seem to be more comfortable with the game now. I spend less time on it, and do not expect millions of dollars from it.)

azteca6

azteca6

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Yes, when I lose I feel like giving it all up but in a couple of hours it goes away and I go back to the tables hahaha

Quaresma

Quaresma

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
That thought certainly crossed my mind. Several times to be honest. But the adrenaline of a tournament is priceless. And I have a lot of fun playing. When we're in a bad phase, it's almost automatic to come to that thought, after all, nobody wants to lose money all the time. The point is that the game is for the long term and understanding that makes all the difference for those who want to stay in the game.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I haven't thought about giving up due to losing, but as a person living in the US who enjoys playing poker it gets harder and harder to find anywhere to play, it's beyond frustrating. gl!

B

BrunoFabri01

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there was a moment when I thought about stopping because it was too busy for me to continue, it was college, work, taking care of the house, there wasn't any time left...but now it's calmer I finished college so now there's time

E

eduardo8269

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you ever considered quitting poker because you keep losing? I believe that many times we are not focused enough to win. Poker is a strategic game, and if we play it in the long term, we will surely be successful. Who has ever thought of quitting in the middle and stopping playing?
Poker is the best card game that exists I've always been a Pife Canastra player etc... but it consumes your life you have to be careful

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Have you ever thought about giving up on poker because you keep losing? I believe that many times we are not focused enough to win. Poker is a strategic game, and if we play it in the long run, we will certainly succeed. Who has ever thought about quitting halfway through and stop playing?
Nope, never.
Be well

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good morning everyone, yes I already thought about giving up, this is very connected with results, when you are starting in poker you don't have the knowledge about variance and this information in my opinion is the most important for poker players, and poker there's no secret, it's studying and playing that the results come.
I started playing at the end of 2018 and today I have a solid game that has generated me, constant profits and now I don't think about stopping playing, on the contrary, I'm playing more and more.
I'm profiting so much in cash game and also in Mtts.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I just ended well more than a year (could be close to two) in which I played very little poker. At the beginning of this time, I had been on a nasty downswing, I only played here and there instead of playing almost nightly as I usually do. Not only that, but I stopped studying poker and even posting on CC. The only games I would really play were the homegames from RibbyBruno's stream (fellow CC member who streams Weds nights on twitch, it's a good time, check it out if you haven't). When I stopped playing, I was a winning player, I was just in a downswing, when I would come back, the downswing was still there, so I would stay away for longer and longer periods. I even stopped talking much to my poker friends for the most part. Then, I read an article by Alex Fitzgerald (Assassinato..great coach and teacher, check him put on YouTube) that made me change my mindset.

I was acting like I was entitled. I was playing very good poker yet taking bad beat after bad beat. "This isn't fair," "How could they play that trash hand?", "This site is rigged (ok, that one is probably true)" were some of the things I would say amongst others...and much more colorful language. But that was the entitled mindset. I felt entitled to win these pots but that's not the way the real world works. Everyone puts in their money and they are allowed to play any way they please for any reason that they choose. I am not guaranteed to win pots just because I started with the best hand. There is variance in poker for a reason, sure, the math at times seems like the world is out to get you, but it all evens out in the end. The important thing is not to get stuck in that same mindset that I was in that just because I was "better" than the players I was playing against does not entitle me to anything. I know it's hard to NOT judge other players abilities but again, they put up their money and they can play their cards anyway they please, instead of judging them, take notes and figure out exactly what they do wrong and then go after them for it. If you consistently play your hands well, the results will happen. And yes, you will sometimes get into a big, never-seeming-to-end downswing, but it will end if you stick with it.

So, here I am, back at CC, answering random posts and enjoying connecting with my poker family again. I still do not play as much as I once did. But for all of those who are thinking about quitting, first, think about your mindset, then think about life without poker. For me, poker is a part of me, it is part of who I am and how I view the world. So, I may be "on the rail" for a while, but I am never completely out of the game.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never thought about quitting poker, but rather every day I feel more motivated playing poker, I hope this continues for many more years.

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
No, I've never thought about that.

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have lost quite big sums early in my poker life but have not thought about giving up on poker. What I gave up is paying up for poker. :)

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I already thought about giving up. I faced some personal problems within my family, which took my focus away from poker. But after everything was over, I had a better view of things, today, I know that I won't always be motivated but I know that I always have to maintain discipline, since the loss factor, this never discouraged me, because I never had long periods of losses , but I have the midset prepared for that, because what matters is knowing if we are on the right path with our studies, if we are playing well. When we do the right thing, one hour things happen, I know technically very good players, but who were down for 1 year, and one of them today is one of the best in brazil and in the world as well in his field, (buyns up to 1000$ ). Therefore, we must hold on if we are doing the right thing, if we are the glory days will surely come.

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
No cause I have my personal limits on how much I can spend to poker and low expectations of being a successful poker player.I play for fun and if I get bored of this game would be the only reason to quit

julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello if I have thought about it many times, especially when it comes to me for AA or KK and I'm sure that I'm going to lose because of those incredible things that happen especially in pokerstars where they go all in with 7-2 of and they fall color or full that's very common. But after a day my anger goes away and I keep playing

BLMonteiro

BLMonteiro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
If several times, it usually happens. To play a poker tournament or other tournaments or games you need concentration.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure, cause this hobby takes so much time to do it well, but even takes plenty to do it bad. However as this is something I can do passionate, sometimes I step back, sometimes I step to do it with a higher volume - If I can balance these out, I 'm feeling myself well in it, and could talk about profit too.

However you said that in the long run you will be succeed no matter what. It's not true and how could it be? If you take a look to some payouts and do the Maths ( deviation), you will some numbers. But. As this expectation seems very interesting, I probably will do some calculations about it, and post if I succeed or done with them. :)

Last edited:
F

fil9514

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
KZ
Chips
Brna has always thought about it, but sometimes it's worth taking a break, learning from experience

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

I have at the moment quit playing, not because I went broke or anything like that, quite the opposite, when Covid broke out and the lockdowns shut all the live game venues, I returned to on-line Poker so that I could keep playing, I set myself a target of doubling my $200 bankroll on Pokerstars, thinking "if I was a good enough player it should be possible, and after 6 months I had trebled it.
The problem is now I feel what I like to call Pokered-Out, I played so much in those 6 months sometimes up to 12 hours a day and started to lose interest in the game, even when the lockdowns stopped I still find it hard to get the motivation to return to live games, being imprisoned inside my home for the last 3 years has taken it's toll, that's why I have returned to Cardschat hoping to re-light my fire and passion I once had for the game.

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
We thought, and then changed your mind.:)

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
No, I didn't think about quitting poker how you can quit such a great game as poker because there are so many emotions here even if you lose, you get so many emotions or when you win you will always love this game