Gut feeling VERSUS MATH genius.

Carl Trooper

Carl Trooper

Degenerate Idiot
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a solid player and I do not rely heavily on math.

I calculate odds and generally can think of pod odds without really thinking about them.

I play more on feel and reads. My reads are generally pretty solid and I play based on that.

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyone who talks about gut saying fold and math saying call (or vice versa) doesn't understand math. The math of poker is relatively simple (and the math that isn't simple can be simulated with tools like pokerstove). You use reads to assign a range to your opponent, and with that range you could do math to determine the correct play. But if your gut is saying call it's because your read is that when villain takes the line they did you are likely good the appropriate % of the time. If you're actually calling when the math says fold it means you are making an unprofitable decision which will cost you money in the long run.

piotrk88

piotrk88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in pokerstarsie not, they have their rules of mathematics, here are happening such wonders that best mathematics never dreamed of: D

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I pretty much use logical math for exploits, for example small stack size and tight passive style on the bubble hes never bluffing here
or more times then not villain is min raising junk on the flop.

I know my equity but never really use it I just count outs/%

My instinct tend to be more reliable

Fieldsy

Fieldsy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a solid player and I do not rely heavily on math.

I calculate odds and generally can think of pod odds without really thinking about them.

I play more on feel and reads. My reads are generally pretty solid and I play based on that.

Pretty much the same thing here

Bowman26

Bowman26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel that being able to do math in my head benefits me in that my mind has already calculated the odds and money so all I have to really pay attention to is the other players actions. As mentioned if you can recall their bet size versus their range you can help decide if you are making a potentially profitable call or just wasting your money.

Most anyone can memorize the out charts and learn basic pot odds, out odds, even implied odds when they get a better understanding of the game.

Now when it comes to the math of BRM and the EV ratios etc if you are planning to play for a living you need to really understand this aspect. You are going to be playing for a good hourly return on your time. So you need to make sure you are making that on average over the long haul. Not just have a good run for a week.

I

IvanShovski

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't remember where but I read an article once in some poker mag or newsletter about this topic. It said what people refer to as intuition may not be all that different from playing as a mathematical player. If you seen a situation before that memory is stored in your unconscious. Eventually through repetition you'll get conditioned to make the optimal math play and it will seem instinctual.
Yes, Sorel Mizzi (zangbezan24 on pokerstars) is a pro who has had considerable success both live and online.

He has said several times in interviews that he is not a "math guy". He plays based on instincts developed initially by playing a large volume of hands online.