Going pro, need advice

H

holdem_ninja

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
at start u need an investment bigger than 50

I can only tell you that, if you're going really to follow that line, at the beginning you should NOT leave the job. And i mean not only, firstly, for your own good (unless you are an Hellmuth, Negreanu, you know), but also because if something goes wrong, you still have monthly cash to continue investing, on a regular basis.
Don't leave your dream, but don't kill it right from the start, and your life too.

yes, you are right! i like your thinking: as full time player u need to start with smth like 10k not some changes!
even a pro player tryed and was nearly too fail a challenge like this!

RasterGFX

RasterGFX

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello guys/girls,

I have decided that I want to leave my job and play poker, I have no intention of going out to win big I just want to earn enough to get by and I will see where the journey takes me. I have played on stars since 2006 and I want to give all my time to the game online and live. I will start with £50 deposit on Wednesday and I will gradually build my cash at the cash tables and play at least 1 tournament per day. I am fully aware that this is going to be a tough grind and it won't go my way all the time. So firstly I want to add to my poker book collection, does anyone know of any good poker books? I think negreanu would be the best but does anybody have any good books about strategy? I will also use my poker tracker to monitor my stats.
Thanks

Good Luck!! Hopefully you are doing better now than when you had your job! My advice would have been (when you originally started this thread) to tally up all of your current monthly bills to make sure you have at least 6 months to a year of savings as backup in case you aren't turning any profits. Then I would start in smaller tournaments to see how a "day in the office" turns out. If you aren't winning back at least what you would have made in a day as an employee then you've got some work to do!

As a last note, if you have a family (oh jeez) you may not just want to quit the day job yet (if health insurance etc is part of employment). Yeah, the poker pro life is mainly for singles who don't have anyone to rely on them for that constant influx of $$ from a job. <-- There are exceptions to this of course. :)

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you need a little more study to understand that you will need much more than 50 to be profitable in mtts. It's hard to say how much will be needed, but I can say that we have examples of players here in brazil that started with 8 thousand dollars to play the micro limits and yet it took a while to earn something worthwhile. See, I'm by no means advising you to deposit money you can't play with, I just think over time you'll realize that even with the The best advice in the world may be that your bankroll does not support even the first days of grind. I would not advise quitting the job. If you want to continue playing recreationally with a bankroll of $ 50 I think it is ok. But make no mistake that you will be professional with that value.

C

charliej

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wish you all the best. Its a huge decision. I hope you got game.

A

AllinFun

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck with your journey & passion to go pro. However please be prepared to have a suitable bankroll before you start this adventure.

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good luck! Living the dream. You lucky dog
I'm playing now for a living but it's hard, I have great upswings then downswings. I can cope with the downswings because I can control my bankroll pretty well. However the hardest thing is the mental side of it and it happens to everyone, when you are on a losing streak because you have done nothing wrong but lost those important hands to runner runner it effects you mentally. You start to feel like you cant do anything right ect, you doubt yourself and your ability and Start playing different and losing more. What I realise is that taking a short break, studying the game and hitting the gym to stay focused really really helps. Then go back at it with the determination and positivity to get those wins back and pull yourself out of the hole.

D

Dimitris

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good luck. May the flop be with you.

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is an update from the original post, I did not leave my job because of poker in the end but my job ended for other reasons.

I played live in 2019 and did pretty well, managed to fund myself until covid hit.

I realise that leaving any job to play poker is a really dumb idea, because its so hard to win and have a good BRM, takes a while to fight throught the variance and build your BR.

Alot of patience is needed and now poker is more of a hobby at the moment.

Thanks to all for the advice given.

maestro121920

maestro121920

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry I am not a pro yet but I am a micro stakes player. My advice for you is to play what you enjoy the most and I really wish you luck on the tables. See you around

Kinganders

Kinganders

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is an update from the original post, I did not leave my job because of poker in the end but my job ended for other reasons.

I played live in 2019 and did pretty well, managed to fund myself until covid hit.

I realise that leaving any job to play poker is a really dumb idea, because its so hard to win and have a good BRM, takes a while to fight throught the variance and build your BR.

Alot of patience is needed and now poker is more of a hobby at the moment.

Thanks to all for the advice given.

Did you learn or improve your game through following your stats? Was BRM tougher than you thought or was that not a problem?

E

Elfina777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And, where is the line between a professional or not, there are people who play only freerolls and they are professionals, but they don’t talk about it and don’t even guess, but there are those who declare this themselves, for me a professional is the one who constantly wins large sums and a lot of professionals sit and don't stick their heads out.

S

sandromanet2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
David!
I recommend that you keep your job for a while and play in your spare time. Here in Brazil we have a great player, you can watch videos of him on youtube and read his books André Akkari. Go deep and don't give up on your dream.

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think long-term about poker Be persistent, another piece of advice for playing poker Be aware of your advantages How to choose a Poker table It is true that the more expensive the tournament is, the more difficult it is How to identify the level of players at the tables? Differences from Live and online poker How to prepare for a poker tournament Live tournament preparation Online tournament preparation How is the environment of poker tournaments Live poker environment Online poker environment What are the poker audiences like Audience in live poker tournaments Audience in online poker tournaments Get professional feedback with the new Pokerdogs webinar Physical and mental preparation to play poker The sport of mind that will make you a genius The players who made the most money in Poker

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I wouldn't go pro until I got consistent income, sufficient to live off.
I certainly would not give up my well paid job expecting poker to pay my bills... I do not play at those stakes.

Nevertheless, if you have the skill and the determination, I wish you all the best in this endeavour. But I expect if I added up all the winnings I've ever had, ignored all the losses, I still would not be able to survive off that money.

What is your pokerstars name? I'd be interested in watching you play. Maybe I can learn a few things from you.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

Rockyfour

Rockyfour

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello guys/girls,

I have decided that I want to leave my job and play poker, I have no intention of going out to win big I just want to earn enough to get by and I will see where the journey takes me. I have played on stars since 2006 and I want to give all my time to the game online and live. I will start with £50 deposit on Wednesday and I will gradually build my cash at the cash tables and play at least 1 tournament per day. I am fully aware that this is going to be a tough grind and it won't go my way all the time. So firstly I want to add to my poker book collection, does anyone know of any good poker books? I think negreanu would be the best but does anybody have any good books about strategy? I will also use my poker tracker to monitor my stats.
Thanks

Hey,

I understand you have a dream, but do not go "pro" lol.

First of all, $50 is nothing, you will never make a living with a investment of $50. You will be lucky to make $2 an hour lol.

Secondly, considering you are saying, that you are going pro with a bankroll of $50, tells me, you do not have skills, or knowledge required yet to be a successful gambler. Not even close.

Thirdly, don't buy any books from Poker players unless they under $20, I see tons of sites having books where they just stuff a bunch of open source info, then charge $500 for this open source info lol. These books and players who engage in these things, are just snake oil salesmen, selling get rich quick schemes (more or less).

But anyways, if you try, I wish you luck, and maybe you get lucky and come out with more than you lose.

Possibly stop after the first $50 tho ;).

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wont go pro even if i can make 2k dollars a day. I need to feel some ground under my feet. And poker is so intense and being a 'pro' its like you can't rest you must always be on top of your game. Its cool every once in awhile to play when you feel good. But. You say you play since 2006. And never you have played so much you got sick of the game? And now imagine if you stop you wont have nothing to eat for tomorrow.:eek:

P

PointedTip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pro to me, means sustaining your lively-hood. An investment of 50 pounds won't cut it. I am far from being a pro, but I would imagine at least $10,000 is a more reasonable bankroll, even then that is low...

Nevertheless, best of luck and give us updates.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
For a lot of us going pro is not going to happen. If it does we are now working playing poker. While it may sound like fun once it becomes your job are you going to enjoy the game as much? Probably not. While I would love to play poker for a living, " i am not that good of a player for that" I have no ambition to ever play for a living. The reason is I love playing this game. If it was for work how long would it be enjoyable? Also knowing I would not always be winning I would not always have that steady income to fall back on. While it maybe nice to dream I think I am better off not every trying to become a professional poker player.

davidsincara

davidsincara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont have the bankroll to live from poker, so, no pro for me

H

HypeHillbilly

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good luck my friend, How is it going so far, Shit Im down 300$ in a week

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did you learn or improve your game through following your stats? Was BRM tougher than you thought or was that not a problem?
I managed it live no problem but struggle online as I build from freerolls and it's a timely exercise.

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
David!
I recommend that you keep your job for a while and play in your spare time. Here in Brazil we have a great player, you can watch videos of him on youtube and read his books André Akkari. Go deep and don't give up on your dream.
I have no intention of going pro I was updating this old post . Yes I know akkari I watch him before.

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't go pro until I got consistent income, sufficient to live off.
I certainly would not give up my well paid job expecting poker to pay my bills... I do not play at those stakes.

Nevertheless, if you have the skill and the determination, I wish you all the best in this endeavour. But I expect if I added up all the winnings I've ever had, ignored all the losses, I still would not be able to survive off that money.

What is your pokerStars name? I'd be interested in watching you play. Maybe I can learn a few things from you.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY
Obbleexy thanks for the post, this is an old post and k was updating it earlier. I did well before covid I was playing live every night in Glasgow and I managed to survive but it wasn't by a large margin. I just grind freerolls and build cashflow now on stars. I have no intention of trying to become pro.

You know me btw I play with you alot, I will be at your table in the league later [emoji2]