Is gambling a sin?

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, wow. this post totally caught me off guard!

So Frank, Im a Christian and have been for 36 years, I have lived in Las Vegas and gambled as a job as a Christian praying for an edge, insight, wisdom, the ability to win, etc. (mostly horses and sports) I have listened to God talk to me on this topic for a long time, Im sure I could write a book, but I will keep it short, well relatively short...

The Bible is quiet on gambling because all of life includes risk for reward, and there are many times in the Bible where God rewards people for taking risks! (Johnathan and his armor bearer attacking an entire camp of Philistines, the woman who touches Jesus cloak and gets healed, and many more) So we know that taking risks for reward is not a bad thing or God wouldnt reward it. Without "gambling" there would be no private business, no restaurants, no stores, no manufacturing, all this involves risk for reward on the part of the owner. As per restaurants... You would be better off shoving with 7-2o vs AA than opening a restaurant (90% fail).

Where things get tricky is when you start to love anything more than God; money, poker, your wife and kids? anything you put ahead of God is going to be an idol, and idolatry is always a sin. But idolatry is not inherent to poker or gambling.

Where I have hit a wall with God and gambling is the time spent, and my desire to make a living at it. God had other plans for me, and I could feel it even when I was handicapping 15-16 hours a day. So it wasnt Gods will for me to do it all day.
FOR ME. Keep in mind that Doyle Brunson has been a dedicated Christian his entire career and an excellent family man too, so God's will for Him has been different. Also, Jerry Yang who won the wsop main event in 2007 was a Christian at the time, and if God didn't want him to win, I would like to know why He gave him AA something like 6 times in the first four hours (I read the book he wrote it is a great book).

One last thing I would like to say, many will tell you that poker is bad because it is empty, its all about money, etc. This is my final opinion from years of thought on this: Poker is a skill and an art form rooted in competition which makes it a sport. Money is a main element to it but that is now true of all sports. I love to watch the Yankees and Cubs play baseball, and I love to watch Daniel Negreanu and The Brat go head to head, both bring me pleasure because Im watching excellence compete. Does Major league baseball make the world a better place? I say yes, in the joy it brings those who enjoy watching it, and when it gives back to the world. Poker offers both those things too. As per giving back, poker does it all the time, Barry Greenstein has played and given his winnings to charities for years, and there are many other times that things like that go on.

some independent thoughts:
Poker creates community which is never a bad thing!
Competition for money is why my new amazing phone only costs $150, and why my dentist can't charge me $6,000 for a filing (though he gets closer and closer everytime I visit. lol)
when you play poker you exercise your mind, you ask more from yourself, you grow mentally, always a good thing again.

I hope that helps you! and if you are ever playing and you hear God whisper, "come spend some time with me." Turn it off and go be with Him; he wants your heart. Good bless you and all who read this. :)

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't care whether it is or not because I love it!

Leomil

Leomil

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, it can be a sin, but whatever, I love it! Lol

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you feel wrong about it, why do it?

I

izzyill

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
it is if its an addiction causing you to steal and lie

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you got jealous of another person's stack at the table, maybe that could be construed as a sin of sorts. Can't see any other thing as sin in poker.(Oh bluffing maybe)lol.
You got it. Just don't bluff or covet your neighbors chips and you'll be fine.

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sins are made up by man. Decide for yourself what is right and wrong.

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
You got it. Just don't bluff or covet your neighbors chips and you'll be fine.

Good advice.

I ask the questions
1. Is one of the commandments "Thou shalt not steal"?
2. Is it a sin to steal?

If the answer to both questions is yes, then why do christians continue to steal my blinds?

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it is a sin just ask for forgiveness after each game. Thats how it works right?

There is a REAL THIN line between Saturday night and Sunday morning!

MrMeeseeks86

MrMeeseeks86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To the staunchest Christians mostly everything is a sin. If you like it, you're not hurting anybody, including yourself, I really don't see the problem. And yes bluffing (lying) and stealing (blinds) is part of the game. Just like you can 'steal' a base in baseball or 'lie' in some games where deception is the point like 'fibbage'.

Everything fun is considered a sin though, which is personally why I enjoy it [emoji14]

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Gamblings can be defined as "risky operations with money for the purpose of their multiplication by means of a case". In the Bible gamblings, a bet or lotteries are not condemned specifically. Nevertheless, she warns us against attachment to money. The Scripture also urges not to seek for fast enrichment. And gamblings just are also concentrated on love to money and, undoubtedly, seduction of people by promises of fast and easy enrichment. Solve a sin it or not.

R

Rskeyyy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no. but if you are addicted ... its not ok

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, just dont let it take over and control you life.

King Cadmus

King Cadmus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Religion is as legit and helpful to the human race as poker so I don't think it's a sin.

gocho2009

gocho2009

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some people think that gambling is innocent fun, while others think it is a dangerous vice.
It all depends on how you see it!

Tihiy2017

Tihiy2017

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The Bible does not specifically condemn gambling, betting, or the lottery. The Bible does warn us, however, to stay away from the love of money. Scripture also encourages us to stay away from attempts to “get rich quick”. Gambling most definitely is focused on the love of money and undeniably tempts people with the promise of quick and easy riches.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know a lot of opinions on this issue. personally I don't consider playing poker a sin because I read prayers and call for the help of my guardian angels and I feel like they are helping me in the game so I don't consider playing poker a sin. enjoy your game and think less about sin and more about the game itself

M

Marj651992

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If it is a sin, then there have been gambling sinners for many centuries. If it is a sin, I don't want to be good

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
My older brother thinks that poker is a sin. He is an Orthodox Christian. And he constantly tries to talk me out of my hobby. Maybe he even prays for me to give up poker.) I do not know for sure.) So for everyone in different ways, who believes in what.

Comdemn

Comdemn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a christian and often think about this when I sit back and play a few games. Moderation is key?

I believe that this is a matter of attitude and your personal perception. On the one hand, no one forces anyone to play gambling and people come there consciously and know what they are doing, and on the other hand those who lose their money are experiencing very strong negative emotions, and this is bad, besides there are mentally unhealthy people, the reaction which tilt unpredictable ... But I'm inclined to the point of view that gambling and poker in particular is the same work where those people who have put up not a small effort to learn to play and have spent their time and money on it earn themselves life is but as well as ordinary people who go to work every day:rolleyes:

S

sid kendell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In 2018 I dont think its considered a sin by anyone I know and my parents and aunts and uncles where all pretty faithful people.Never an issue.

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the itself existence of people is a sin against nature, so do not be worry too much for that

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
I sometimes have this feeling, but at the end i dont think that betting can be a sin.

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling