Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think freerolls can be useful in the following cases:
  • To build initial bankroll at a site to avoid depositing
  • To practice short-stack play
  • To play while drinking :beer:
Even then, the low $added, many players typical for open freerolls are useless for BR creation.

The equity of freerolls is typically less than 50c, sometimes as low as 10c+. (equity is the $added devided by number of players). For example, a $100 freeroll with 500 players has equity of 20c per player. If this were not a freeroll, then one would have to pay 20c to get the same prizes.

Obviously, there is no significant money to be made at such low buy-ins regardless how good a player is.

Say that the win rate of a player is 2. (win_rate = $won/$equity). That's pretty good and means that for every $ invested, the player get's $2 in return. The $invested in a freeroll is the equity. That would mean that for the 20c equity tourney, the profit would be 20c. If the average amount of time to play is 2 hours, then that would be 10c per hour. A decent wage in China if you lived there.:D

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice post, Cheetah. :)

That was basically what I said, but your explanation was considerably more lucid and detailed.

D

dmtrav77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes i do....play where ever i can when i can. :) play on and good luck.

V

vger76

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very well explained cheetah... the only other thing is that when first starting to play, if you actually try to play poker vs donfest>>> it will help you improve your patience and discipline for when you start playing real Ts..
GLA

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
weeeeee.... 6 bucks and counting...lol

Attachments

• 6andcounting.JPG
    6andcounting.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 112
S

sockerkid008

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still play them frequently because there great practice and I love playing deep stack poker. Always a test to see if you can play your way through a giant field of donks. And have a chance to make a free few bucks to :)

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
*Waits patiently for mod to remove link*

SamNReno

SamNReno

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BR at mickey d/s

Hell i think mcds pays MORE than my pension!!!! LOL

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good if you don't want to deposit at a certain site and want a bankroll with no pressure. You kinda need to get a good hand early on, however, or you get some guys who can grab AA first hand, go all in, and 5 idiots call him and bam 5 min in a few guys have 10x the starting chips.

Most of them are pretty stupid tho as you will play vs 1k ppl to win 3$ at the end unless you get pretty lucky.

K

kittypokercr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I totally agree wit the free-money point of view and also with the fact that you can hone your skills by playing in these Tourneys...I guess that some players disregard them or deem them as a waste of time but I am cool with them!!!!JMHO

N

ncbluez

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you rather have 10c for free for one hour, or $250 per hour for working?

Well Cheetah, since I work a full time job and make quite a good salary, I don't think this is an issue :p

The PoolBoy

The PoolBoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just a Few

only foruem ones. why play against 2699 donks for nothing or next to it for 5-6 hrs. I'd seriously enjoy a nice root canal over it.:D

Coasterdude28

Coasterdude28

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just recently got into online poker, and therefore have been playing in some freerolls at bodog. I placed in two of the three I played in, and now have a tiny bankroll. I think they are good to get used to playing online. If you have nothing better to do, and want to practice your game, I don't think playing in a freeroll will hurt you. I'm sure there are plenty of intermediate players out there participating in them.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just recently got into online poker, and therefore have been playing in some freerolls at Bodog. I placed in two of the three I played in, and now have a tiny bankroll. I think they are good to get used to playing online. If you have nothing better to do, and want to practice your game, I don't think playing in a freeroll will hurt you. I'm sure there are plenty of intermediate players out there participating in them.
I have to disagree here, although freerolls may be used as a tool to build a BR from scratch, it does however induce bad play given time.
If your trying to figure odds on how you are going to bet or if your just learning how to work the odds, they do not work in freerolls.
The only thing you really learn in freerolls is there are alot of players who do not understand odds and wish you could meet them on a real money table just to punish them for their bad play.

O

ognib6

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they are good to get used to playing online.
so yes play freerolls and play money.

Coasterdude28

Coasterdude28

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^I understand your point. What I was trying to say was that playing in freerolls helps you get used to playing online. Yes, the play may be a lot different than in a cash game, but they help you to get used to online poker. If you play the same as you would in a cash game, then it can't hurt you. If you let the "it's a freeroll, what do I care" mindset get to you, then it could hurt your play.

T

Tigers Prey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I do! I enjoy playing these for the conversation and not having to worry about losing. I also enjoy the poker community freerolls, and have met some great people through these freerolls.

Freeroll Passwords