Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
prepare;1824 What is ironic actually that your right said:
HOH is actually pretty basic stuff.... but a good foundation for newer NLHE Tournament players.[/b]
I think that spending money on a book because of passion and the want to better yourself in a game you love is a way better and smarter reason than because you want to win more real chips. (yes I am mocking you, I am also a very childish person.)
Not sure where I wrote > 'buys books to win more chips' (guess that was your interpretation though).
As for the intelligent thing. It's actually because of a deeper opinion of mine; richer, smarter, more educated people are not smarter than the average person. I have met Ph.D.'s that were stupider than kids that have dropped out of highschool. The smartest person I know used to be a janitor no college, and no highschool for that matter. I also think you're very mistaken if you think the best high stakes pro's are the smartest poker players the are.
I must be mistaken then .. 'the best high-stakes pros aren't necessarily smart' (I'd be inclined to strongly disagree with that though).

Prepare.. whatever works for ya. Just seemed odd to hammer OP with some of those questions/comments when as far as I'm concerned they're doing us a favour by being here (not vice-versa).

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just seemed odd to hammer OP with some of those questions/comments when as far as I'm concerned they're doing us a favour by being here (not vice-versa).
It's not quite as one-sided as you paint it, IMO. A lot of people that CC seem to be deliberately attracting to the site now are people that are great poker players and are selling something, whether it be books or coaching services or whatever. So I am very grateful to CC for tracking them down, and I listen to their advice very carefully, but am also aware that they will often have an ulterior motive.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not quite as one-sided as you paint it, IMO. A lot of people that CC seem to be deliberately attracting to the site now are people that are great poker players and are selling something, whether it be books or coaching services or whatever. So I am very grateful to CC for tracking them down, and I listen to their advice very carefully, but am also aware that they will often have an ulterior motive.

And there is nothing wrong with that - it is mutually beneficial to them and to us. :)

So - let's use this thread to ask Tri questions that you guys can benefit from.

CuttleFish

CuttleFish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Tri,

I for one am happy that youre here. I hope to learn lots from you along the way.

A non-poker (kind of ) related question. Being a refugee and coming through a difficult time at a young age, what has this taught you most about life in general and does any of this affect the way you approach poker?

Warm regards,

Cuttle Fish

S

SlowHabit

Tri Nguyen
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Tri,

I for one am happy that youre here. I hope to learn lots from you along the way.
Thanks!

CuttleFish said:
A non-poker (kind of ) related question. Being a refugee and coming through a difficult time at a young age, what has this taught you most about life in general and does any of this affect the way you approach poker?

After facing near death experiences, pirates, tear gas, and being hungry all the time, running a massive bluff doesn't seem to be so scary anymore.

My experiences made me realize how lucky I am to be alive and that at the end of the day, nothing is more important than your family and health.

My experiences also make me feel embarrassed when I get mad over random stuffs like my internet not working or there's traffic on the freeway. Lastly, I have a very high tolerance for taking risks. I don't have much fear for losing money. There are a few reasons for this.

1. I did my homework and know I'm taking a +EV bet.

2. It's only money and I can make money back if I lose it.

3. Lastly, I realized that money is a convenience in life. It's not a source for happiness. Happiness comes from doing things I enjoy and it turns out that creating products, opening businesses, and taking risks make me happy.

If there's something you need me to expand, let me know.

S

SlowHabit

Tri Nguyen
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
People enjoyed my last webinar on High-Performance Poker so much I'm doing another one. And it's FREE too!

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cant believe I missed this so far....

Tri, its great to have you here. I had heard about Daily Varience as well but was not yet familiar with it - so much to read and do, so little time - so at least I will be able to watch the webinar from the link above.

Most question I have are already ITT.

I am recently working on the philosophical aspect of my game. Just started Zen and the art of Poker. Tilt and emotional issues are more present in my game than I have admitted. A low stakes pro who helps me from time to time pointed this out and I realize how right he is.

"After facing near death experiences, pirates, tear gas, and being hungry all the time, running a massive bluff doesn't seem to be so scary anymore. "
^^^^ This made me smile. Perspective is so important, and although I have not been a refugee, I have been through some things in life and find that lately I am losing the perspective I once had. I am also 53 married and have children, so have many reasons to be grateful, as well as simply the fact that I am still alive. But I still take my micro problems of today and turn them into massive mountains that are seemingly impossible to climb... And this lack of perspective bleeds into my poker attitude as well. So any comments you may have on "mindset" in all aspects of poker, from on the table and off, from learning to playing to reviewing, would be deeply appreciated.

Got a new idea for my wife as far as Christmas goes now as well;)

D

dan abnormal

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
After facing near death experiences, pirates, tear gas, and being hungry all the time, running a massive bluff doesn't seem to be so scary anymore.

I knew my game was missing some key elements. well being semi noob and when i saw you ad on 2+2, i thought you were related to some player with the same last name, BABY. (hey im sure some of us non poker experts could make that error lol) looking foward to seeing what you gotta say hmmm a question. how can i beat poker orfice everytime, i mean just dominate

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just finished the second one. Well, the first one really. I watched them backward, webinar 2 first then 1.

Great stuff.

Very well thought out and just really good content.

Thanks for this Tri!!!

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow wicked stuff, very well said, thanks man!! On the first one now, is excellent! :D

(Whoops just missed what u were talking about, have to rewind... was thinking about a Facebook thing and watching the news too...) :rolleyes:

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
(Whoops just missed what u were talking about, have to rewind... was thinking about a Facebook thing and watching the news too...) :rolleyes:

Having just watched it as well, this made me spew the drink I was sipping at the time I read it......

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Great thread. Tri, what has been your experience with sponsorships?

S

SlowHabit

Tri Nguyen
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Cant believe I missed this so far....

Tri, its great to have you here. I had heard about Daily Varience as well but was not yet familiar with it - so much to read and do, so little time - so at least I will be able to watch the webinar from the link above.

Most question I have are already ITT.

I am recently working on the philosophical aspect of my game. Just started Zen and the art of Poker. Tilt and emotional issues are more present in my game than I have admitted. A low stakes pro who helps me from time to time pointed this out and I realize how right he is.

"After facing near death experiences, pirates, tear gas, and being hungry all the time, running a massive bluff doesn't seem to be so scary anymore. "
^^^^ This made me smile. Perspective is so important, and although I have not been a refugee, I have been through some things in life and find that lately I am losing the perspective I once had. I am also 53 married and have children, so have many reasons to be grateful, as well as simply the fact that I am still alive. But I still take my micro problems of today and turn them into massive mountains that are seemingly impossible to climb... And this lack of perspective bleeds into my poker attitude as well. So any comments you may have on "mindset" in all aspects of poker, from on the table and off, from learning to playing to reviewing, would be deeply appreciated.

Got a new idea for my wife as far as Christmas goes now as well;)
Hey!

For being in the right mindset, it's all about figuring out what your priority and goal is. My #1 goal is to be happy so I do everything in my power to reach that goal.

What's yours? Make sure to sit down and actually think it though. Sometimes, we think it's a new car or winning X amount of money, and that may be true for you. But it's important to figure out what is your priority and why.

Usually, the happiest moments we have is when someone DOES something for us or when we are sharing an experience with someone we like. Everything else in our lives are just added bonus.

As for getting the book as a present, that's a great idea. We are receiving tons of orders right now from female buyers haha.

S

SlowHabit

Tri Nguyen
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I knew my game was missing some key elements. well being semi noob and when i saw you ad on 2+2, i thought you were related to some player with the same last name, BABY. (hey im sure some of us non poker experts could make that error lol) looking foward to seeing what you gotta say hmmm a question. how can i beat poker orfice everytime, i mean just dominate
Become a better player baby ;)

S

SlowHabit

Tri Nguyen
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just finished the second one. Well, the first one really. I watched them backward, webinar 2 first then 1.

Great stuff.

Very well thought out and just really good content.

Thanks for this Tri!!!

Wow wicked stuff, very well said, thanks man!! On the first one now, is excellent! :D

Having just watched it as well, this made me spew the drink I was sipping at the time I read it......
Haha, thanks for the love guys! Hope you guys implement some of the tips I was talking about.

Drink your glass of water!

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Sure. Have you used sponsorships to afford higher buy-ins, or have you played totally on your own bankroll? If you've used sponsorships, what have been the benefits and/or downsides?

K

KrazyLuck

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mr. Nguyen, I'm a fairly new player to poker, started playing when I was seventeen and I'll be turning twenty this friday. I'm trying to learn as much as I can by analyzing any quality material. I noticed that you have a new book out, and would love to get my hands on it. The problem is, I'm a broke college student paying my way through school. Is there any place online where I can get it at a cheaper rate? Thank you for your time, and I would greatly appreciate any help that I can get.

S

SlowHabit

Tri Nguyen
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure. Have you used sponsorships to afford higher buy-ins, or have you played totally on your own bankroll? If you've used sponsorships, what have been the benefits and/or downsides?
For cash games, I play with my own bankroll. I don't play well when other people's money on the line. I rather lose mine. And of course, it's nice to keep all the money when you win.

For big tourneys like the Main Event, I sell some percentage and change percentage with my friends. That's about it.

S

SlowHabit

Tri Nguyen
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Mr. Nguyen, I'm a fairly new player to poker, started playing when I was seventeen and I'll be turning twenty this friday. I'm trying to learn as much as I can by analyzing any quality material. I noticed that you have a new book out, and would love to get my hands on it. The problem is, I'm a broke college student paying my way through school. Is there any place online where I can get it at a cheaper rate? Thank you for your time, and I would greatly appreciate any help that I can get.
Hey KrazyLuck,

If you are new to poker, get The Poker Blueprint ebook instead. It's only $10 and it will change the way you think about poker.

http://www.dailyvariance.com/poker-books/poker-blueprint/ ... Select the ebook format.

D

DennisC98

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Checked it out already, pretty cool

S

SlowHabit

Tri Nguyen
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
UPDATE:

My new book is being sent out.

eBook format was sent out. If you haven't receive a copy, email
support@dailyvariance.com

Paperback format are being sent. You should receive it this week. If you live in Europe, it should be 10-14 business days.

Enjoy!