Fraud in online poker

jtholdm

jtholdm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think collusion is also a part of fraud can it happen online sure but if you fond a good site it wont happen so much. I know black ffriday gave online a bad mark but recently I have been playing at full flush and found it is a better field of players they also do not havd p2p transfer which takes allot of the collusion out of it. I also keep a certain amount online and if anything was to happen I could afford the loss so far so good and I have cashed out a few times. My advice is to keep what you can afford to loose and cash when the time is right for you.

A

alexis8888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There was a strange thing on Ipoker I met. It was $0.5 tourny for $5 tickets. About 30 players participated. But almost all of them folded constantly. And really played only 5-7 of them including me. I get the ticket whithout problem but lost it quickly in DON $5 tourny. But the issue remains - who were these strange players that folded. Also on micro stakes on I poker there frequently is some mad player who always raises and wins always. In this case I ask him if he is a bot and if get no answer leave the table.

D

donkcentralFF

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol you think maybe they forgot about the 0.50 tourney?

A

alexis8888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I no BOT

for me all russians are bots :) impressive how they keeps hitting their terrible hands against my AA KK and so on ;(

I am a Russian but I am not a BOT. Sorry for the disappointment. :)

S

satirist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw a $10 1-up on BOL yesterday where, 4 hands in, the "bot candidate" at the table had quickly tripled down, reaching 4500 chips while, on the bubble, 3 "human" players (I say human because they were interacting in the chat) had 1500. I watched a ring leader organize and stage a challenge against the bot, proving to the other players that they should listen to him. Lo and behold, the 3 human colluders won against the huge stack bot. Interesting to see how cheaters can sometimes prosper against other cheaters.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Where there is money, there is fraud."

Online, highly feasible because of the reason that you cant see what the other one is doing at his end.

B

bnasp2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, at DONs and Fifty-50 tournaments there is high risk of collusion, because if very profitable there.
Its because strong impact of ICM to value of chips at such payout tables. For big stack, his chips over some limit have very low value. While for short stack, the same chips have much higher value. So by chip-dumping (from big stack to short stack) you can get lots of value. Add some other collusion (disclose cards to each other, setting traps together etc.) and you can get nice profit even while playing basic poker otherwise. You probably would need lots of accounts, to avoid detection. Anyway its a reason why I dont like those DONs and 50-50 (even I dont think I actually met such collusion against me)

On normal tournaments you could see other way, dumping chips from several players to one, but there is no immediate profit from such collusion.

zsoltyx2

zsoltyx2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe there is fraud in all games .in some more in others less

G

gametime2011

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes it feels like things are rigged with incredible hands and bad beats. Maybe it is just putting in so many hands....

Alexsandr Kononov

Alexsandr Kononov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fraud in online poker real - Collusion
The most common form of fraud in online - collusion. Two or more players tell each other about their hole cards and act as a team. Organize a conspiracy easily. Enough to call a friend or write in Skype and invite him to join the same table where you play .
Playing with multiple accounts
Another tricky type of fraud where one person creates multiple accounts in the poker room and acts with them at the same time at the same table. This is a very complex and expensive option, which makes sense to resort, playing only at very high rates. Servers, individual ip-address, mask, all this requires a large cash investment. More often than not a conspiracy - a pair of unscrupulous players who play at the same table simultaneously talking on a cell phone.
poker bots
Controversial issue, but it is believed that a good programmer with a strong desire can create a poker bot that will consistently make a profit at the tables at the lower rates.

B

braveboat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fraud happens everywhere; online poker games, live poker games, business, government... In poker, collusion has to be the most common form of fraud. And while low stakes games are an unlikely target, don't forget that a dollar is worth a lot more in some places in the world than it is here. Two players in communication via Skype or cell phone can advise and coordinate at one table, or chip dump, or otherwise attain an unfair advantage over the other players.

I'll worry more about it if I ever reach higher stakes, but yes; fraud happens in poker. Fraud happens everywhere, folks...

T

titomurcia1214

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is very difficult to know whether there is fraud, should demonstrate any evidence, we do not know if the Russians are robots but something made me not deceive me :)

LeeCallaghan

LeeCallaghan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's unlikely bc they are always updating!

Frank Burnette

Frank Burnette

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to wonder about fraud in online poker a lot. I'm pretty sure there's poker cheat software (hack software) available, but most of the big poker sites are pretty vigilante against such software these days. Although, I'm sure there are exceptions. The most common form of fraud is probably, as many have already mentioned, collusion. It's often hard to detect, and I imagine it happens quite a bit.

L

lukeellul92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tin foil hats, Tin foil hats everywhere....

Honestly, from what I've read on this, I MUST BE A BOT, because I DONT communicate in chat etc etc.

If you're paranoid about online poker, then dont bloody play it.
You think it's rigged? Yet every year hundreds of new players are becoming professionals from online poker? What, you think they were "chosen" to win?

Collusion is a very real thing yes, and with 50million+ players on pokerstars, its going to happen, and PS do everything they can to stop it. Someone I play live with got banned from PS because of colluding, so PS do put their foot down with it.

The best thing that was said in this thread was "If theres money involved, theres fraud".

I admit I have my skepticism at times as well, but I honestly think half the reasons people think they're experiencing online fraud and hacking etc is because they're having bad beats... It's the game... Just because you lost doesn't mean it was a hacker or anything... %99.9 of the time anyway. that %.01 of the time , it may have been a hacker or fraud or whatever you wanna call it, but until then, stop being a sore loser, and go put ya tinfoil hat back on..

TLDR;
If you don't trust online poker, don't play it.

veronica

veronica

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've also heard that certain programs mediande can see others' letters, but I think if it was really might have been before, as today creoq no ue no danger room to be quite a reputation for a case like this .. . the only thing is to get used to a software as it always reacts the same way, although in real life usually pass similar cases , I play on pokerstars and still believe in transparency as organizer room and think to my mind, the best tournaments online , even if sometimes I get angry about losing .. but then are risks that one can have.

ern11

ern11

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
U need watch a circus at that sunday on pokerstars (SM 9th). Final table again will divide there is nobody unknown players.

BiliousBetil

BiliousBetil

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fraud happens everywhere; online poker games, live poker games...

So, true. Barry Greenstien in his book "Ace on the River" describes some pretty spectacular live cheating he has run into. In fact, before the poker boom, there was a time he wouldn't play in Las Vegas because collusion was so widespread. :eek:

Cheers!

LeanAndMean

LeanAndMean

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for me all russians are bots :) impressive how they keeps hitting their terrible hands against my AA KK and so on ;(

Why do you think a bot would hit their terrible hands more than you would? Makes no sense. I think a bot would not play terrible hands anyway. Who would program their bot to play crap hands?

P

playn4fun

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems as if almost every table I play on there is always a couple of a**holes :knuddel: that are clearly colliding, but what really makes me mad :mad: is almost EVERY tourney I'm in the majority of players in the bubble help their buddy's or whoever :shakehand get to the final table by passing chips to them. :mad: :thefinger

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Collusion is probably the main way to cheat online.

There have been some cases where people have broken into pro's hotel rooms and downloaded a virus which would allow them to see their hole cards. Believe this is pretty recent. as in 2014.

Always keep your lap top and cell phone safe in hotels.

jgdesabato

jgdesabato

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you mean by fraud? I have seen reports that some poker sites program favors those who have more record, I suspect that is true.

cjmoles

cjmoles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, it has happened...Look up the UB scandal....the AP scandal....the PitBull Poker scandal.....but there's a lot of cheaters in home games and colluders in club games too. That's the risk you take sometimes....Part of the fun in poker is looking down the barrel of that six gun while having your own under the table! It's all about the risk and reward Babie!