FastOne

FastOne

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I always use 2 color deck. Tried the 4 color option, but just didn't like how shining the green and blue are, especially the green. But after reading the previous comments, maybe I'll give it a try, guess it probably is a "getting use to it" thing. Besides, my astigmatism isn't getting any better, so using 4 color deck would only help avoiding posible "flush" mistakes.

buzzmania

buzzmania

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
had never really tried it but after playing my moms puter and her settings at the rooms she plays i was playing 4 color and isnt too bad once you get used to it. just different i guess.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tried the 4 color deck once and found it very distracting, Maybe bacause I have been using the 2 color deck since I was little, but I really didn't like it enough to try to adjust.

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I need the 4 color deck. My eyes are not verry good. I used the 2 collor deck but multitabling i found mayself sometimes calling with nut flush when there was no flush on the table :D I only have this problem when there are spades and clubs on the table. When multitabling damn spades look like clubs because they are tiny.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What next, 4 color roulette?

*chooses to take a rhetorical question literally*

Well no, because the colours in roulette are an important part of the game mechanics whereas using a four-colour deck in poker has no material effect on how the game is played.

I take your point about tradition though.

Amroth

Amroth

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer the two colors deck, but I cant mutitable without four colour deck, its hard for me to see the cards with small windows :p

S

skyin452

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess I could see the advantage while multi-tabling, but I've never had the desire to play more than one table. And I have never given any thought to using a 4 color deck until I read ths thread, so i gave it a try and I can honestly say it totally messed with my head. So I rekon I'll stick to traditional!!!

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that is because you probably never gave it enough time.
i think once you become familiar with a four color deck
you will never revert to two colors.
especially in regards to flushes.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm just wondering, do people really misread their hands that often because they only use a two-colour deck?

There's obviously going to be an element of selective recall in this, but as I said above I've always used two-colour decks online. I would have played hundreds of thousands of hands on up to eight tables at a time and I don't think I've ever had any real issue with misreading. I'm sure it's probably happened at some point but I'm also sure that the number of times it's happened would pale into insignificance compared to the number of general misclick errors I would have made. I'm not some stick-in-the-mud traditionalist that would stay with two-colour decks if I thought it was costing me money. Am I an odd one out or something?

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im the same Oz im a stricly 2-colourer, i cant face up to the idea of diamonds being blue, just sends my brain crazy. 2 colours have never been a problem so far, i didnt realise how many people are strictly 4 colours, get your eyes tested :)

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just wondering, do people really misread their hands that often because they only use a two-colour deck?

There's obviously going to be an element of selective recall in this, but as I said above I've always used two-colour decks online. I would have played hundreds of thousands of hands on up to eight tables at a time and I don't think I've ever had any real issue with misreading. I'm sure it's probably happened at some point but I'm also sure that the number of times it's happened would pale into insignificance compared to the number of general misclick errors I would have made. I'm not some stick-in-the-mud traditionalist that would stay with two-colour decks if I thought it was costing me money. Am I an odd one out or something?
Well it happened to me a lot untill i started to play with 4 colours. I would not have a problem if my eyes would be the same as 15 years ago (I am only 32 now but i have glases since college). Simply sometimes when multitabling i just saw the same card caming twice :D 5s, 5c. "What the ..." i said. But when i watched closly i saw why.
I do not say this is a general rule. But it happens to me. And calling an all in on the river and loosing the pot without knowing why it is not a pleasant thing.
I think it was a thread on our forum where a guy posted a hand saying that a site was stealing from him. In his picture what he thought it was a flush , was in fact 4 diamonds and a heart.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I tried the 4 color deck once and found it very distracting, Maybe bacause I have been using the 2 color deck since I was little, but I really didn't like it enough to try to adjust.
Yah this ^ was the same for myself (same as "PoofyFoofy"!!!! :) )
I used 2 colour deck online for over 3yrs. It wasn't until ~6mos. ago I actually changed over to using 4-colour & took a bit of getting used to.
I'm guessing that many in this thread hadn't used a typical 2-colour deck for very long before trying out a 4-colour one. If you've used a 2-colour deck for decades it isn't a problem using it online. I think I've misread my hand 'twice' in 4yrs... & one of those times I thought I had the nuts & played it accordingly, picking up a nice pot on what turned out to be a bluff, lol. The other time I got re-raised on the turn (when I thought I had the nuts, lol) & I shoved allin... got called only to discover that I was 'drawing' to the nuts, lol. (I lost :( )

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it stops me calling 100bb off on the river with 4 diamonds and a heart thinking I have the nuts while 16-tabling even once in 100k hands, then it is worth the click of one button and getting used to 4 colours instead of 2. Live you play 1 table with full concentration and won't misread your hands

F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, i check off that 4 color option at every site ... i never missed my own flushes, but a few times i failed to see that someone could have made a flush ... hey, any advantage you can get

i wonder if it will hurt my live game in the long run? ... get spoiled with the 4 colors

T

thejuanupsman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never misread my cards with a 2 color deck and found 4 colors distracting the one time I used it. I'm sure I'd get used to it but since I don't really feel a need for it I haven't tried it since.

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lots of online rooms do allow 4 colours. Your logic is sound. Hard to argue with 4 colour logic.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Four colored decks make me feel like I'm playing Uno. No thank you!

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love the four color deck. Have introduced hem to my home games and after a month asked if anyone wished to return to the 2 color desk .. Not one person wanted to return.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Four colored decks make me feel like I'm playing Uno. No thank you!

I mean, cmon, who is gonna trust an osterridge...............?????????

how do you spell that?????????

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i also aggree i always opt for the 4 colors, it's easier not to make a mistake if i'm playing to long and my eyes get tired.
i haven't been playing much at all right now to busy DIYing, painting and fixing stuff. can't wait till i'm done. i also babbysit grandchildren, :)

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

I'm color impared, red/green, & multi tabling can be an issue if I'm tiling tables.
Live, never been an issue.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
found 4 colors distracting the one time I used it. I'm sure I'd get used to it but since I don't really feel a need for it I haven't tried it since.
I was the same as this.. but then one site I was playing on I found the graphics on tables to be distracting so I then opted in for the 4-colour deck & actually got used to it... then swtiched over on all sites. I didn't like it for awhile at first tho
I mean, cmon, who is gonna trust an osterridge...............?????????

how do you spell that?????????
pretty sure it's ostrich

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have read that it is more expensive to print a four color deck. They don't even do it on TV. You watch the screen , and sometimes a club looks like a spade if your not looking close enough.

I haven't looked through this thread, but has anybody ever bought a deck with four colors?