Follow the heart or the brain?

kandauroff

kandauroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a crucial and important point, and rely more on their intuition, but in the ordinary moments of the brain

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I tend to balance the brain !! be cunning is best, impulses can lead us to make mistakes !!!

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should always follow your brain, do not make decisions with your heart, because you can make mistakes.

TheniT

TheniT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe poker should be more technical than emotional, as emotional can be influenced by many factors, but we can also exploit our opponents' emotions at certain times.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the beginning of the game of poker, I had an opinion that I can predict the card output. But it was just a rare coincidence of wishful thinking. Now I always rely only on my brain.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Interesting question. I would say I rely on the brain 90% of the time but I think I am overly nitty. My patience works and I get rewarded but then at times I am aware I 'miss' hands and therefore pots.

A further problem I have is when I open up my range a little (try to play more with heart/optimism), it seldom pays off, I am just leaking blinds.

This said, as others have pointed out, the subconscious is at play- you pick up small, subliminal messages and make a call which feels like a 'heart' call but actually is a combination of both. I can pick off when players try to steal pots on the river with say high card and I might have second or even third pair...its a sort of 'flow' feeling which feels heart but surely derives from the ten thousand hours concept!

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
My intuition is based on my experience, therefore, I trust my heart and count on my brain.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In poker as in the life you have to choose between following your heart and following your brain. As I mentioned in a previous thread, I prefer to follow my heart, because I know that I have a good feeling, then I trust it almost all the time.
But sometimes I allow my decision to pass via my brain before to go out in the reality.
I am very interested to know your opinions about that, what do you believe more, your heart or your brain?

I go with my GUT over both of the above :)

Double check with the heart to make sure it feels good, and double check with the brain to make sure it logically makes sense. But first gut feeling is my go to for beginning the process

:saint:

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a believer in rational solutions, so I choose the brain. Poker is based on mathematics, and heart is an absolute disadvantage in this genre. Long time ago, i also followed the heart, but over time I realized that a mistake.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I always try to make decisions based on my experience and skills. Of course, the heart can sometimes tell the right way, but I am more inclined to count on my brain.

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's funny busboy but I think I'll use my brain

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To trust your brain is to play only with AA, AQ, AK, AJ, QQ, KK, JJ. Playing the heart of this type, 35 hearts and on flop goes 334 then as have opponents AQ and A10. The heart always says go with suited connectors, and the mind says fold. I think if you want to go away then of course you have to follow only reason. So we'll go further than calling almost everything. So my choice is the Brain.

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In both poker and real life, when I use only my heart I just screw myself.

So I use the brain more

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mainly the brain but sometimes the heart and then you regret it and wished you had went with the other one.:):):)

R

Richard Grant

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you get good at something, a lot of it becomes automatic. So we practice things, and learn until it becomes "instinctive". One should always self-examine to check we are making progress in what we do, testing ourselves against reality via other opponents to see where we're at.

However, if your instinct plays are bad, or even sub-optimal, we need to go back to the drawing board and see where we are going wrong.

Or do what I do, and just crack open another beer and bury your head in the sand!

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To trust your brain is to play only with AA, AQ, AK, AJ, QQ, KK, JJ.

Not if your brain learned how to play poker....
There are many occasions in which hands like smaller pairs or suiteed connectors are an obvious call even if you have no heart at all....
There are even spots in which ANY 2 cards are worth a call due to great pot odds...

det0nate

det0nate

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
never follow your heart - play solid and you will be a winning player!

mountainfox

mountainfox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would mostly follow my brain, but sometimes when I feel tilted, I listen to my heart.

B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always follow your brain in poker.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi mate.I just cannot choose one.I need both in my poker sessions..Patience is essencial for the correct decision..

A fox 666

A fox 666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It often happens that you understand with your head that you need to fold, but the inner voice whispers to you, call! Personally, in a percentage, my head (aka the brain) loses to my inner voice! Approximately 40 to 60)))))) Therefore, I trust more to your instincts, not your brain analyzer.