Folded when they could have checked....??

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have encountered this a number of times. I guess it is just a sign of the FISH, but wtf? A number of times, players either on the BB or anywhere post flop and being checked to, as last player sometimes too, I have seen players folding when they could have seen another card. It is a concept I dont understand. I have occasionaly hit the fold button on mistake, but there is always a warning system asking if I am sure I want to fold and not check. Even if I know I am beat 100% I dont fold if I dont have to, so can anyone explain what this means (other than complete idiocy)?

Most often gets an insta-note put on them.

I think in some cases, 'villain' doesn't want me to get a read on their range, &/or what hand they may have cbet with, etc. Their '5' hi on the river beats nothing so they fold instead of checking.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a mistake on your part to put any meaning to this at all.

I have done this for a variety of reason, maybe 10 times in 6 years online. As recently as this last weekend, so throw that beginner shit out the window.

Usually it represents me realizing that I don't want any chance to allow myself to succumb to temptation. Or I really really don't want you to see what I was doing THAT with.:eek:

Or it could be that I don't want to be wasting those peoples valuable time.

I usually find it funny when either I do it, or someone else does it on my table. On par with duplicate hand showdowns, which I also find funny........

Grossberger

Grossberger

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will just never fold if I can check..... if I have 2s 7c and by the river AKQJTh, and all check to me - lol - (ok i bet here but I think I make my point)
Bad example lets say in late position you limp with 2-4off hoping to catch lightning and Flop is KKJ checks around to you and you check then turn is 2 this could get you in trouble if another 2 comes on river and someone slow played a K or KJ. If I limp with junk hoping to catch a miracle and miss the flop I just muck.
Most often gets an insta-note put on them.

I think in some cases, 'villain' doesn't want me to get a read on their range, &/or what hand they may have cbet with, etc. Their '5' hi on the river beats nothing so they fold instead of checking.
I think this is the reason ^^^ so players dont get a read on your range of hands
Usually it represents me realizing that I don't want any chance to allow myself to succumb to temptation. Or I really really don't want you to see what I was doing THAT with.:eek:
This also ^^^:p

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see this a lot in live games...I don't have issue with it as it saves time. The only time I think it is a problem is when the action is 3-way to the flop...by checking out it gives the player in position a large advantage. if you open-fold in a 4-way pot it's less of a big deal.

doops

doops

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have, on occasion, wished this option was available on Full Tilt.

I want it, mostly, when I have made a LP raise with a fairly crappy hand (for me) and both blinds call. Then the flop comes and they check to me, but the flop has missed me horribly, and maybe I make a c-bet to represent something good and hope they fold, but I have zip, and both blinds call again. They don't raise, and now I am getting really uncomfortable because I very much do not want to have to show this hand. I would like it to disappear. I pray that one of them will bet the turn or the river so I can fold with a little pause so it looks like I'm reluctant, but they don't bet. They are gonna see my crap hand. My tight image that I have been building for however long will be wrecked and I will not be able to play the way I want to. Because, just this once, I loosened up a bit too much on the button. My raises will not be respected. Oh, yeah, it will give me a chance at playing differently, and that way of playing can be lucrative, but it's not my preferred style. I want to fold this hand. But I can't. Dammit all.

It hardly ever happens, of course. :D I almost never play crappy embarassing hands. Nuh huh. When I bet I have something, dagnabbit.

Folding in Poker