"Feel" players still exist?

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As GTO based theory and strategy becomes more and more prominent is there room in the game for "feel" and "gut" based players anymore?

I think there is because as newer players come into the game these days they , perhaps not knowing any better, jump into advanced theory, charts, and strategy and because they may lack the "feel" of the game may play a rigid style. See many of these players on forums baffled their 5.892% bluffing strategy on X board texture with Y position didn't work. Or players who jam a turn or river representing something they don't have because a chart or a solver said it's the best move in that spot...and I happily call realizing what they were trying to do. Or the players who bet too small for "value" with a weak holding and surprised they get called by a slightly less weak holding...to me says they aren't understanding the theory and advanced strategies , only following without thinking through further.

And no dig on those using a more math based game, but the beauty of poker is if you understand the math, the odds, and the likely play the other player is making, you can have a feel for the next move, the next play you want to make. Optimal plays exist and we should strive to make the best plays we can in each spot, but we're not robots and if a good "feel" player sees what your'e doing, they can and do exploit that. The feel players can remain a bit more unpredictable.

Frankly I think it's a lost art in modern poker, although would say it's mostly more valuable to "feel" in tourneys than cash games which are closer to being solved. I watch many pros from the "old" days still doing well and I think it's because they have both the feel understanding and a solid grasp on what newer players are focused on. Perhaps , since I mainly play tournaments online and cash live, the "feel" approach makes more sense.

A solid foundation built is needed but after that , there 's still plenty of benefit for having a feel for the flow of the game you're in, the moves opponents are making, and the chosen response.

What do you think?

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Believe me, there are tons of players, that don't even know these charts exist. Lots of people think, poker is a game of luck, and when they connect with the flop, it's "THEIR DAY"

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I really congratulate you brother, the comment is fantastic.
I at least consider myself as you say "a player feels"
I can't tell you that my game has improved much since I read about strategies, and using math, odds, ranges, fairness, etc.
But really about reading the game I've learned the most from watching the old players.
From the great Doyle Brunson to me a great teacher, and then to the newer Negreanu, Helmuth, Seiber, Hachem, Nguyen, Moneymoker, etc.
I have learned a lot from them.
As you often say, percentages are useless. There are players who go crazy. They say "how can it be???" "I had 16 odds/outs and I didn't get the card on the turn and river!!!".
And they take this as if it were a crazy thing, and they really do not understand that it is a game, and that luck must also accompany you.
I just played an MTT where a player wins a big hand AJ versus JJ all in kicks villain out, and on the other hand he has AQ and goes all in against villain who calls with A6 and the flop came 66A. So I want to tell you with this, in the percentages of the initial 1st hand the hero lost and ended up winning. And the next hand his starting percentages were higher, and he ended up losing.
I was lucky enough to study logic at the University, and the truth is that as I play more and more I realize that there is less and less logic. Over there, it could be said that there is a certain logic that a player who handles a table well could have greater possibilities of reaching a payment in an MTT, even if he is a good player.
But to finish, I keep a great phrase in one of his books by the great Doyle Brunson, he said "there were players at a table that I could beat without looking at my cards." It seems a superb phrase, but in truth it is a quite true phrase.
Well friend, I congratulate you again for such a good post.
Greetings Carlos from argentina:):):);););)

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Of course we feel players still exist, who the hell do you think supplies all the entry fees the charters feed off of?

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Of course, I'm the kind of player who relies on my intuition and my 6th sense and it always amazes me and gives me victory:cool:

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, not all players want to be a professional poker player or even study poker. Some players just want to have some fun on the weekends and play some poker.

A

arshuns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Mathematics is mostly an exact science. Mathematics is often based on axioms. Probability percentages and odds are part of mathematics that is not axiomatic. It's like math problems that nobody can solve. And if someone sometimes succeeds, they win the Nobel Prize. This is the part of math that regulates the game of poker. The probability is a completely random situation. We believe that we have a great chance in poker science, and that's why we're continuing the draw. But each of us lost many times with a hand that had very good chances. And this is where feeling should come into play. Especially when there's a lot of money in the draw. I saw players drop AA preflop several times and as a result it was a losing hand. They must have sensed something. I'm not talking about playing postflop anymore. Each of us saw successful players throw good cards feeling that the opponent had a stronger hand. So I think every poker player should try to develop a sense of play. And this will help you a lot in the game.

NDRWTRLGC

NDRWTRLGC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see it as so black and white. feel as well as logic come into play in this game . as well as many other elements