My February 200NL adventure (prop bet)

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
50k reached!!!!!!!!! what a relief

not sure if i'm going to play anymore or not, will post the final graph when i decide :)

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sigh, ill ship the $150 in a bit, just need to do captaining stuff

tpb221

tpb221

Chasing Gutshots
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good Job!!! Glad you made it. What's the goal for next month-75000?:p

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
alright, i'm done for the month, sorry to those of you who guessed a higher # of hands, but i can't take it anymore!!! :) haven't checked who won the guessament yet actually

here's the final graph:

50kgraph.jpg

you can see there's some sort of invisible forcefield at $6k which repelled my line from ever reaching it. bounce bounce bounce. i don't think the breakeven stretch was really a result of being worn out or fatigued though. the fact is i just ran about $1,000 below all-in equity the last few days, and that's going to happen sometimes. prior to that i'd been running above all-in equity, so it's all fair. this was more than i could have ever hoped for going into this. thanks again everyone

i'll gather my thoughts and then write an overly wordy concluding post to this thing in a bit :)

relief!

AZE

AZE

DC Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats. Knew you could do it you slacka!

Sick life :D

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well worth the money imo..

congrats yo

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sick life indeed.

Way to show all those poopy prop betters and hustle them of all they cash yo.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great work and determination combu glad you made it buddy and a sick month!!

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sick read , glad you now realise what you can really do if you really want to put the hands in and give your all. Gives you a lot of motivation to make a lot of money in the future i'd imagine. The amount you won from actually playing is always a nice thing aswell.

Glad to see you win even though i had to sell some of my posessions to pay off debt to you.

Stay motivated and now get it into your head that you are a winning player and can make the monies with ease

<3

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oops, the conclusion got buried at the bottom of page 9 so i'm reposting it fresh on page 10

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alright. I'm going to try to wrap this up with some thoughts, and I hope at least a few of you find this worth reading!

Firstly I want to once again thank you guys, especially those who bet against me, NineLions for generously running the guess-the-#-of-hands contest, and everyone who wished me luck along the way. Even though I've earned this money myself, there's no way I would have done so without all the motivation you guys have provided. As a college student, this money means a lot to me.

I was always too fearful of the idea of losing to really take the chance and see what I was capable of. Going into this month, I had no idea what the result would be. After the first thousand hands I was convinced I might not be a winning player at this limit at all. I'll have to find my own motivation from here on out, but this month has given me the confidence and experience to make that easier.

More than anything else, this has given me some insight into what it would be like to play poker for a living. If this month's results are at all accurate, there's the potential for that, and it's something I've thought about a great deal. I'm pretty disenchanted with school and my major (psychology), and have come to realize that I don't want to go down any of the career paths I seem to be working towards. So I've been considering taking a year off of school (if not dropping out) to try something else and see where it would take me. This experience will weigh heavily on my mind when it comes time to make that decision.

What I can tell you, which you already know, is that poker is not easy when taken beyond mere recreation, when the money is very important. It's mentally taxing, emotionally draining. Dizzying highs, excruciating lows. There were probably a handful of times this month where I thought "I swear I'm never playing this ****ing game again!" but I'll always come back because I love poker. It can do awful things to a person's psyche, but I love the game. For those who, like me, aspire to play professionally, all I can say is that it's a damn difficult thing to do. Much harder than I even realize at this point, probably, since I've only done this for a month. But I'm also a strong advocate of people going for their dreams and taking chances in life. You just have to find out if poker still makes you happy when it becomes an obligation. That's what I still have to figure out for myself. But I can't help but think it's still what I really want to do. I just have some emotional and psychological kinks to work out.

I think the prop bet did add an element of stress and pressure that wouldn't have been there otherwise -- not that I regret it. But the bad days hurt a little worse simply because I knew I'd need to post the graph, my failure for all eyes to see! I hate hate hate to lose, but losing days and losing weeks are an inevitability in poker no matter who you are, and that's just something I have to get used to. It will definitely be a relief to again be able to take days off, or to quit when I know I should instead of needing to clock in another x amount of hands. A relief. I'm relieved. It's over. I won!

Expect big things from me in the future

Peace and love

-combu

yay.jpg

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sigh now my soul read tl;dr post got buried

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cliffnotes: thx guys, poker is a hard way to make an easy living imo, i might go pro anyway, i'm going to kick poker's ass!

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
'K, entries for the contest for total hands is closed.

- Gavinski
- pantin007
- The Shrog
- widowmaker89
- SeanyJ

Remember, the winner has to claim their prize here so check back.

And check back anyways, the whole purpose of the contest is to have fun supporting/pressuring combu.

alright, i'm done for the month, sorry to those of you who guessed a higher # of hands, but i can't take it anymore!!! :) haven't checked who won the guessament yet actually

here's the final graph:

50kgraph.jpg

I would put the winner as widowmaker89.

Plus combu,

plus the rest of us that had fun following your progress.

Congrats! Get some buddies together and go have a drink, or whatever your preferred poison.

:party:

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats matey and great sum up post.

Monies will be shipped first thing in the morning.

Rex

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very nice work dude. Nice result. Nice mindset good post at the end.
Awesome determination and discipline.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
<3 you all. time to eat pizza and get drunk (haven't drank since the super bowl, that's how devoted i was to this bet :) )